Horrible IP day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaNotoriousNIC

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I met by far the meanest, grouchest, rudest old man/baseball player in my life today. I thought Charlie Maxwell was a real piece of work but Ken Griffey Sr by far tops it. I was the only person today at the noon game trying to get autographs at the time. Ken was sitting in the dugout alone, called to him asking if he would sign for me. He looked up then went right back to staring at his clipboard. No biggie I can wait...finally walks over, stands just far enough away to see what I have but not close enough to be in reach and definately looks at the cards. Well I was holding 2 of his 1974 Topps RC's for a 50/50. He then proceeds to give me a I want to kill you stare, doesn't say a word and just turns around and walks to the other side of the dugout and sits down. At this point I know it isn't gonna be a good day. I only had 1 card for the players, J.C. Sulbaran. I got him and he was even the starting pitcher today. Then some old guy that always has a ton of cards and doesn't know who is who ever came over by me and I helped point out a few guys and he gave me a Oliveras card when I indeed after telling him 5 times that he is the guy with the mohawk got him to come sign for him since he was oh so sure it wasn't him. Next came Tony Fossas and Todd Benzinger whom shut me out also and were big D's as well. Then I couldn't go over and get any Whitecaps autographs because it was national anthem time. So there I sit for the next 2.5-3 hours waiting for the game to end in 90+ degree weather with no shade in site just to try getting Ken Griffey Sr afterwards. Sat outside waiting well over a hour and every single Dayton player stopped and signed a guy's ball that was waiting and were quite friendly. Fossas ignored me once again and quick hopped on the bus, as I'm literally the only person waiting at this point. Then finally Griffey and Benzinger come out, I didn't even bother with Todd since they both tried walking around me without even looking at me. I wait for Griffey to put his bags on the bus and ask if he will please sign, ignores me, then says what did you say to me. So I repeat, "will you please sign for me". He thens slings a didn't you get a hint the first time all old and grouchy like. So I said cool if you don't wanna sign then don't, you don't gotta be a dick about it seeing as I've been sitting in 90 plus degree weather on my day off just to try getting your autograph and I turned around and walked away. Then came the get back over here kid! He then went on to tell me he would sign 1 card and 1 card only for me and that he didn't wanna see me next series asking for a autograph. After he signed I said, see ya next series out here and walked off. So all in all, I didn't even get a autograph for myself other then the 2 players. Definately not worth the 4.5 hours I spent sweating like a pig. I did talk to Richard Zumaya right after the game ended and I guess Joel is doing well and very well may be coming to see Richard pitch here. Long story short all the players for Dayton are very nice and friendly and the coaches are all real big D's. Messed up thing is they won on top of it.
Dragons.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the bad day. Have always heard Griffey was grouchy. I am still searching through stuff from Toledo. Do have the Sborz, Perry, and a Dlugach...probably a Sizemore...let me know what you have extras of or who you are seeing and could send stuff for you to get for me.

oh it was more then just grouchy lol, I swear he tried murdering me with his eyes before the game, meanest stare done I ever have gotten. Then after the game I was tempted to burn the stack of Griffey's I had in my case in my pocket right in front of him but they were cards for greatdad so I would've had to replace em. Haven't made it to a ton of games this year since i seem to work most nights they're in town. The only people on the Whitecaps with actual cards is Luis Quinones, Mark Thompson and Wade Gaynor has a '10 Topps Pro Debut card. Not sure who else I'll really be seeing now that the all-star break is over and alotta people moved around.

I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut...I hate players like that. Nice pickups though.

Oh and Fossas signed for me TTM last week in only 9 days, try that route.

neither him or Benzinger really matter to me, they were both here last year as well and needless to say I didn't even try either of them last year. Only reason I did today was because I was gonna be on that side for Griffey anyways

Why the hate on Charlie Maxwell? Have you met him in person? I spoke with him on the phone and he explained why he doesn't signed unlicensed material. He will only sign Topps cards because the rest of the stuff is unlicensed.

Good write up, sorry your day didnt turn out better. Unfortunately some players/former players forget they would'nt have a job/$$$$ if it wasnt for us fans. You should remind them of this and see what they say

Why the hate on Charlie Maxwell? Have you met him in person? I spoke with him on the phone and he explained why he doesn't signed unlicensed material. He will only sign Topps cards because the rest of the stuff is unlicensed.

Yeah I got Charlie TTM but when I saw him IP at a free event him and Dave Bergman were the 2 biggest jerks I met until today. Was because there was a few old guys with a bunch of cards and we were all towards the end of the line and he started the its "the card people" don't sign nothing for any of these guys and I got bunched in with them all even though I was having all of them but Minnie Minoso and Bill Madlock sign a ball all together. Didn't have a single card with me even or had talked to the 3 old guys. Made absolutely no sense to me why either of them were freaking out, they both sign TTM for FREE. On top of it I was there by myself and had nothing to do with the guys he spotted out a few people behind me. They were perfectly happy to sign 20 times for kids that had them sign everything they owned that was on them but just because a few old guys were there and had a stack of cards in hand all hell had to break lose. Best part was Minnie went off on them in his own soft spoken way and told them to pretty much quit acting like jerks. He didn't even see what cards those guys had but tried getting the other 7 guys or so all worked up with him and only Bergman joined in with them.

Last edited:
you should have just told him you will buy one on ebay for $7 lol.

I see where Jr. get's his attitude from now.

Sorry to hear about your horrible time. I will be going Sunday for Mark Johnson and anyone else I can get. And also the last 4 Tiger Fridays. If im lucky maybe Zumaya will show up at one of those 5 :p

Sorry to hear about your horrible time. I will be going Sunday for Mark Johnson and anyone else I can get. And also the last 4 Tiger Fridays. If im lucky maybe Zumaya will show up at one of those 5 :p

Hopefully I make a few of those especially Herndon, need him in my yearbook and mini helmet

Personally, I think you were in the wrong for the way you acted just as much as Griffey was. By being rude to him, you've only made it that much more likely that a rough signer isnt going to sign at all for the rest of the season.

Man, I'm glad I haven't met any players like that... yet. My parents did go to a Twins caravan last year, though, and Dan Gladden was there and they told me that they were giving away recliners there and Gladden told a large guy that won one that he probably wouldn't be able to fit in it. When it comes down to it, though, 89Giants is right. They would be getting paid a heck of a lot less if it wasn't for US. Sorry you couldn't do better but congrats on what you got.

I had sort of the same experience very grouchy. He inscribed a photo for my gf but didn't sign it and when she asked him if he would PLEASE sign it I thought he was going to kill her. He said she didn't ask him to sign it. Wouldn't look at the 5 of us there for his auto and he is not friendly at all. Congrats on the success and sorry about the mess you went through

Wow! What a jerk.
Its suprising he made it as far as did in baseball being that way.
Hey....wait a minute....didn't he pretty much suck as a player? lol

Personally, I think you were in the wrong for the way you acted just as much as Griffey was. By being rude to him, you've only made it that much more likely that a rough signer isnt going to sign at all for the rest of the season.

Well I'm not to worried about it since the first series he was here he didn't sign and the first 2 days of this series he signed for like 8 people the whole time and didn't say one word to anyone other then being rude and complaining from what the season ticket holders told me. He chose to be in the spotlight and knows what comes with it, he isn't a new kid on the block. A simple I'm not signing today was all that was needed. I'm not one to get all pissy just because someone doesn't wanna sign but when someone is a complete jerk to me I take offense. Even when I'm having a horrible day at work and deal with a heck of a lot more customers face to face then Griffey does at a Single A ballgame I don't act like a jerk to people just because I want to even if I do want to tell somebody off. Even when I said what I did I did it in a nice tone of voice and just walked off even though I'd rather have just really told him off.