How BGS damaged a card of mine - UPDATED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Fortunately, I only grade for reselling purposes and would be quite mad if I was only grading this for protection. Here's a photo of what it looks like in the slab:

100_0163.jpg

and a closeup of the damage on the edge:

100_0167.jpg
100_0166.jpg

And if you look closely to the left of lasorda's portrait, there's a piece of the edge that chipped off!

100_0168.jpg

So what happened? The card was mint when it was slabbed. But since it is thick, and the quality of the sleeve seems to be more brittle than what I'm used to seeing, the sleeve busted open at that edge. As a result, the card moved back and forth and the card got damaged from scraping against the seal of the sleeve. The two corners on the back are softer than they were before as well but I could not get the camera to show it well. Here's a view from the top:

100_0169.jpg

I figure beckett will make things good but we'll have to see.

Last edited:
That is amazing- I wonder if they graded it with the damage or before-
Sad either way!

That does suck, I realize it's still a 9 but if I were a collector I would not purchase that for nearly as much as I would if it were mint :(

It looks like they want to look at the card, so they will be fedexing me a box to mail it to them free of charge. I'm also being told I'll be fully compensated for it.

I believe I was supposed to receive the box a week ago, but it finally arrived on friday. So yeah, it's going slowly.

Anthony

Update:

Beckett decided to reslab my card (cleanly) in a blue tag "authentic" slab and send me $40 grading credit. I think it's fair since I will be using the grading and have people interested in the lasorda. However, if I was grading this card solely for protection, I would have expected them to send me a check for full book value.

I don't see that ever happening!

If it did, you would probably see a sudden dip in BV the month of your compensation!

I would have expected them to send me a check for full book value.

"We don't make the prices, we just report them." However when we only got 1 report in the last 3 years, it won't be good enough for us to pay that much for one!!!

They were smart to re-slab the card and you kinda saved their butts in sending it back. If you'd have kept it and ebayed it,seeing those blemishes on a 9 would have certainly marred their credibility as a grading service. If you ask me,you should have gotten back alot more than a $40 grading certificate.

That bites. THe only 4 times i did get some cards graded (about 7 years ago) I took pics and scans of all the cards i sent in just incase something happened.
Im glad they did something positive for you.

I don't see that ever happening!

If it did, you would probably see a sudden dip in BV the month of your compensation!

"We don't make the prices, we just report them." However when we only got 1 report in the last 3 years, it won't be good enough for us to pay that much for one!!!

I say that because they overcharge their customers for insurance. When asked why, they say it is to cover themselves in case they damage something - complete bs in my opinion. We all know cards aren't worth full book and they shouldn't be pricing items so high if they won't live up to it. However, the hobby would change significantly if they were to adjust all of their prices.

They were smart to re-slab the card and you kinda saved their butts in sending it back. If you'd have kept it and ebayed it,seeing those blemishes on a 9 would have certainly marred their credibility as a grading service. If you ask me,you should have gotten back alot more than a $40 grading certificate.

I thought so too. There's no way they could let a card like that float around. I figured posting this on a couple trade boards did enough damage. Plus, I've been able to grade many cards for about half off using the fcb group grading service, which this was a part of.

That bites. THe only 4 times i did get some cards graded (about 7 years ago) I took pics and scans of all the cards i sent in just incase something happened.
Im glad they did something positive for you.

You know, I think this was the only submission in which I did not scan my cards before submitting them.