How much would you pay for this set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm really torn on whether or not to grade this set. Anyone have any additional suggestions? I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment... OR if I should just grade the bigger named cards... mantle, jeter, hosmer, etc.

Way to put that set together. I can imagine some of the top-tier names cost you a pretty penny to pick up.

I'm really torn on whether or not to grade this set. Anyone have any additional suggestions? I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment... OR if I should just grade the bigger named cards... mantle, jeter, hosmer, etc.

a) As mentioned previously, you'd pretty much HAVE to break the set to get your money back. The team/player collectors have no interest in what doesn't fit their collections, the set builders don't want to buy a complete set, they want to finish theirs, that leaves people looking to buy that specific set as your only true market. It is a limited market at best. And while 2 bidders competing against each other is all it takes, if you don't get it, it could be a big time loss item.

b) Grading could hurt a set like this. Even at $5/card, that's over $5000 in grading fees/insurance/shipping handling 2 ways added to what you already have into the set. Even if you were only into the set for $3-4/card right now, that means $8-10,000 your cost. That'd be very tough to recoup even if you get a good % that come back 10's. But if several come back 8 or 7 you're pretty much looking at replacing them because they drag the set as a whole down.

a) As mentioned previously, you'd pretty much HAVE to break the set to get your money back. The team/player collectors have no interest in what doesn't fit their collections, the set builders don't want to buy a complete set, they want to finish theirs, that leaves people looking to buy that specific set as your only true market. It is a limited market at best. And while 2 bidders competing against each other is all it takes, if you don't get it, it could be a big time loss item.

b) Grading could hurt a set like this. Even at $5/card, that's over $5000 in grading fees/insurance/shipping handling 2 ways added to what you already have into the set. Even if you were only into the set for $3-4/card right now, that means $8-10,000 your cost. That'd be very tough to recoup even if you get a good % that come back 10's. But if several come back 8 or 7 you're pretty much looking at replacing them because they drag the set as a whole down.

Thank you -- very insightful!

I've officially listed it on Ebay -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/330657620275?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

That's an impressive set. I build Cubs sets of these each year, and I know I pay enough. I can't imagine having all 990 of them, including the expensive ones.

I'd say that if you decide to list individually, start on sportlots, making prices high enough to cover their fees. Give them a few months, then lower the price a little. That way you get your asking price before trying eBay as the last resort.

just me , but there's no way in hades i'd go to the effort to complete such a set only to turn around and break it up for sale as singles , player lots , or team lots.....

just me , but there's no way in hades i'd go to the effort to complete such a set only to turn around and break it up for sale as singles , player lots , or team lots.....

The trouble is, the market is so limited for a set like this. Almost any set is worth less than the sum of the cards because there are so many cards with lower demand. Your ONLY market for a set like that is people wanting to buy the set. Set builders don't want to buy an already assembled set, type collectors, prospectors, team, or player collectors won't pay for hundreds of cards they don't want.

The trouble is, the market is so limited for a set like this. Almost any set is worth less than the sum of the cards because there are so many cards with lower demand. Your ONLY market for a set like that is people wanting to buy the set. Set builders don't want to buy an already assembled set, type collectors, prospectors, team, or player collectors won't pay for hundreds of cards they don't want.

methinks my point was missed....

i meant that there was no way on earth i would go to the trouble of assembling the set and then sell it in ANY form.....

if i had the funds to build such a set (regardless of how quickly it was done) it would be with the intent of keeping it intact .... it would hold FAR more value to me due to its clear rarity than it's potential monetary return ...

methinks my point was missed....

i meant that there was no way on earth i would go to the trouble of assembling the set and then sell it in ANY form.....

if i had the funds to build such a set (regardless of how quickly it was done) it would be with the intent of keeping it intact .... it would hold FAR more value to me due to its clear rarity than it's potential monetary return ...

Great point!!!

I think you of tried a auction with $.99 minimum bid, and a $15,000 reserve... Just to see how the bidding would go.