How much would you pay for this set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just curious, I see you had four offers on the set were any of the offers serious? I can appreciate what you did to complete this monster set. It is unfortunate that you have to break a set up for maximum return. I thing set
collectors know the costs associated with collecting a set of this magnitude. Personally I would hate to see such a set broken up. Just my 2 cents.

Just curious, I see you had four offers on the set were any of the offers serious? I can appreciate what you did to complete this monster set. It is unfortunate that you have to break a set up for maximum return. I thing set
collectors know the costs associated with collecting a set of this magnitude. Personally I would hate to see such a set broken up. Just my 2 cents.

Two multi-thousand dollar offers.

I think the others are right.........break it to sell it. It's a mistake to sell it as a whole set. Individuals (common folk such as myself) would be more inclined to bid on their favorite player(s) than trying to buy the set to get their favorite players. And basic math tells you that if you average - JUST AVERAGE- $10 a card thats $9,900! Shoot, if there's 30 Cardinals in the set and each sells for $10--that's $3,000 for 1 team! I'd be more than happy to give you $10 right now for a Carpenter! Put that into Ebay world and you know there's going to be someone who feels the same as me and the fun begins!

stuart, that's a nice set and congrats on completing it. But IF you're going to sell it, break it!

I think the others are right.........break it to sell it. It's a mistake to sell it as a whole set. Individuals (common folk such as myself) would be more inclined to bid on their favorite player(s) than trying to buy the set to get their favorite players. And basic math tells you that if you average - JUST AVERAGE- $10 a card thats $9,900! Shoot, if there's 30 Cardinals in the set and each sells for $10--that's $3,000 for 1 team! I'd be more than happy to give you $10 right now for a Carpenter! Put that into Ebay world and you know there's going to be someone who feels the same as me and the fun begins!

stuart, that's a nice set and congrats on completing it. But IF you're going to sell it, break it!

$10x30 = $300

Beckett bv is roughly $17k. Buyers might pay 20% which is $3,400. But on such a large set, most would expect a deeper discount ... maybe 15%, which would put it at somewhere around $2,500. Like others have said, you'll probably need to break it up to maximize your return.

I still recommend putting them on Sportlots.com for a few months first, so you can get top dollar for some of them.

methinks my point was missed....

i meant that there was no way on earth i would go to the trouble of assembling the set and then sell it in ANY form.....

if i had the funds to build such a set (regardless of how quickly it was done) it would be with the intent of keeping it intact .... it would hold FAR more value to me due to its clear rarity than it's potential monetary return ...

Fair enough. Some people just like the challenge, like the guys that spend years rebuilding classic cars and turn around and sell them to start a new project. The value for them is the challenge, not so much the product itself.

Check me out in the newest article of Beckett Sports Card Monthly! They were kind of enough to feature me and the set in the March issue. Sweet!

Funny you should mention the Pujols numbered 5/60. Because I pulled that one last year. Are you talking about the regular issue Topps card? I can put up a scan later tonight if you'd like to see it.

After further research........ I see now. your Pujols is #547.... the "First to 30 HR's in first 10 seasons". Mine is #100 from series 1.

Last edited:
A complete set of 990 Blacks? Good Gawd! If I put together such a set myself, I'd hold onto and cherish it for a very, very long time. That's just me.

I'll check out that issue.

990 /60s....wow.