how to sell cards you don't want?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightydon

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Well, I am going to be moving by the end of the year and would like to move as many cards as possible that are not PC. I have tried the USPS Flat Rate boxes and had success selling off about 3 1/2 monster boxes of cards.

I still have monster boxes of cards that the commons and semis range from .20 to .50. For instance, Bowman Chrome, Finest, Private Stock, etc. Any ideas on how to get a fair value on these? You figure if I fill a 800 ct box with .20 commons, that is a BV of $160...what will I get for that, like $20? And a 800 ct box of .50 has a BV of $400.

I also have a monster box each of stars, semi stars, and HOFers. Any suggestions on how to sell these without taking the time to list each one. I just don't have that kind of time.

I'd like to take the money and just buy what I need to finish my set collecting, add to my HOF and Jeter PC as some things are becoming more important than my collection. Not getting out of cards, just need to move out 1000s of cards for a fair value.

Sugestions?

I don't really have "the" answer for you. The kind of cards you are talking about are hard to move over the net because of the shipping cost.

My advice would be to have a moving sale and advertise that sports cards available. Years ago, before I moved out of my parents house thats what I did. I ended up selling (15) 5,000 count boxes of commons to the same guy. He was taking them to his son who had just started college. So he said.

Thanks
Craig

I don't think there's such thing as "fair value" when it comes to base card commons, even the ones from premiere brands. You take what you can get for them. The value is in not having to lug them around with you when you move.

Aaron

Both of the two previous posts make sense- a garage sale would get you the most money bc of not having to pay the high shipping costs.

When I moved, I dumped about twenty 5,000 count boxes of cards like that on a local card shop. I only got a few hundred bucks in return, but it was worth not having to haul them and then find somewhere to keep all of them.

I don't think there's such thing as "fair value" when it comes to base card commons, even the ones from premiere brands. You take what you can get for them. The value is in not having to lug them around with you when you move.

Aaron

I agree with Aaron 100%! Best regards, David

I usually dump them on the local card shop. Mostly nicer mid-level baseball and football product. Commons, Semis, Unlisted and even Listed Stars...pretty much anything that's not a RC, Insert or Parallel. I even sometimes put the scrub parallels and RCs in there too. Usually a 3200 ct. filled is around $20-30 store credit depending on the quality. The owner knows I'm not filling the stuff with all scrubs or 1990 Donruss and I'm a pretty regular customer, so I feel he's doing me a favor moving the stuff at that rate. Heck, today, I plan on bringing in a 1600 ct and some singles in hopes of a nice discount box of Finest :).

Garage sale is what I would do as well. I usually get $8 for an 800 count box of mass produced common 80s and 90s and $5 for a 100 count box of 00s base commons. Not much $ but if they are worth more than .05 like mine are prices could range a little different.

Well, sounds like I am having a garage sale this summer. haha. Who's coming? Thanks for the ideas.

I see you are in Indiana. What part? I might be interested in picking up a box or three of the stars/semis/HOFers if you will be selling them in bulk.

When I moved, I sold a number of large count boxes through the Bench and other trade sites, but stated that I would only do local pickup.

This probably isn't the best suggestion, but here is what I recently did with mine:

I had way too many boxes of cards.. More than a closet full. I went through all my boxes, pulled out the inserts, RCs and main stars (left lower-end stars). I kept all the inserts/parallels/SPs and I am trading them for Indians PC items. I clumped all the rookies that booked $1+ into a lot and sold them on ebay (I mixed in about 20 junk rookie autos/GU and a few decent rookies and it sold for $100).

With the more notable stars, I sold base lots on ebay.. Some of them sold surprisingly well. I got almost $1 per card on Mauer base cards and the usual guys (Pujols, Jeter, Howard, etc.) sold well too.

I think that left me with 5 3200 ct. boxes of base cards ranging from commons to some unlisted stars. Most were 2004-2009 and there were premium brands (SPA, Chromes, Heritage, etc.) I just put them up on ebay for pickup only and sold them for $70. I met the guy about halfway from where he was driving. So I ended up driving about 45 minutes, got $70 (before fees) and got some much needed space!

My solution was the quick-fix.. I definitely could have ended up selling them for much, much more, but it would have been so much work!! I'm enjoying the extra space, but it likely won't last long!

Best,
Chris

Well, I am going to be moving by the end of the year and would like to move as many cards as possible that are not PC. I have tried the USPS Flat Rate boxes and had success selling off about 3 1/2 monster boxes of cards.

I still have monster boxes of cards that the commons and semis range from .20 to .50. For instance, Bowman Chrome, Finest, Private Stock, etc. Any ideas on how to get a fair value on these? You figure if I fill a 800 ct box with .20 commons, that is a BV of $160...what will I get for that, like $20? And a 800 ct box of .50 has a BV of $400.

I also have a monster box each of stars, semi stars, and HOFers. Any suggestions on how to sell these without taking the time to list each one. I just don't have that kind of time.

I'd like to take the money and just buy what I need to finish my set collecting, add to my HOF and Jeter PC as some things are becoming more important than my collection. Not getting out of cards, just need to move out 1000s of cards for a fair value.

Sugestions?

just in the off chance i was snooping through craigs list, and came across a local buyer out here in oregon, he states he will come to my location to buy cards. but my idea is that you check out craigslist too, never know what your going to find and also list them for sale there too, after all it is the internet yard sale site. then what dont move do a sale at home too. good luck. dave

garage sale is defintely the best idea since you save on shipping and you can do special deals like 10 for a buck or whatever. the only concern is whether or not there are customers around your area who would take them.

I was able to move about 60 of those 5000 ct boxes of 2000 and up base my card shop had manage to collect throughout the years for about $20-30 a box at another card shop. (depending on the set and years in the box)
Most of the boxes were fillied with worthless base set topps cards and common base from other sets so there was no reason not to take any offer that I felt reasonable to get rid of a ton, and I mean 400 lbs of .10-.50 firewood.

I think I will try Craigslist and go from there....I don't want to pay for shipping and maybe I can put like....$100 worth of cards for $20.

Mix it up with commons, semis, etc.