How to Spot a Fake Patch a Mile Away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basebal1fan

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I really hate seeing people buy those fake patches and supporting these crooks. I'm not saying that it's always the seller's fault because sometimes they bought the card and are just reselling it. But, I'm going to give you a few pointers when buying that "amazing 1/1 team logo patch card"

Here's the first one:
alomarauction.png
alomarfake-1.png

Rule #1 (referring to #3). Know the set! If logo patches from the set are low numbered, you have to know that! In this case, logo patches from Prime Patches are extremely low numbered and if you look in the item description, this card is /502. So, a red flag right there. Now, (I'm talking about #1) if it says it's a jersey, it came out of the pack as a jumbo jersey, and someone changed that. So, since it says "game worn jersey" and it's a patch, that's another red flag. Lastly (#2), look at those threads hanging out. The way companies put the patches into the cards at the factory, that will not happen. It will only happen when a fake patch is inserted afterwards.

Onto the next:
beckettauction.png
beckettfake-1.png

Let's start off with #2 and this should be a HUGE red flag. EDIT: There is an N in marlins, so scratch that. Josh Beckett does not have an N anywhere in his last name!!!! So, that should prove that the patch is fake right there. And it also says jersey and it's a letter patch. The card also is /391 which is another warning sign.

And here is a picture of a real patch.
ordonezauction.png
ordonezreal.png

Here are some ways to tell that the patch is real. #1 is that it says under the jersey, "Authentic game worn jersey, name plate patch." This part is key in telling tif the card is real or fake. THis patch looks to be from the name plate, so that's a good sign. Also, the card is /37 which is also normal for patch cards from this set, so another +. This card looks legit.

Lastly, some general tips and more ways to tell if it's real or fake. You can also see the seller's past feedback to see if he bought the same card, but in a jersey form. This is really easy to tell if the # is on the front. It takes some time, so you would only want to do this if you're really torn. Also, see if the seller is selling any other questionable patches in his completed listings, current listings, and feedback.

NOTE: Some patches before 2002 or so are real, but will say jersey. That is normal.

Stay safe!

-Jesse :D :D :D

Last edited:
This is a nice way for people to realize this. I usually don't have problems being a player collector but a nice read.

This works well for more current releases, but what about older sets?

I vividly recall pulling multiple colour patches from 2001 products, with no mention of the word "patch" anywhere on the card.

Right, anything before 2002 or so, this doesn't apply. But, you can still see the seller's past feedback to see if he bought the same card, but in a jersey form. This is really easy to tell if the # is on the front. It takes some time, so you would only want to do this if you're really torn. Also, see if the seller is selling any other questionable patches in his completed listings, current listings, and feedback. Looking for threads hanging out is also another way to tell on older ones. I added that point to the bottom of my original post.

This works well for more current releases, but what about older sets?

I vividly recall pulling multiple colour patches from 2001 products, with no mention of the word "patch" anywhere on the card.

I've also pulled patches from the pack that were a mess...threads hanging out everywhere and stitchings all messed up...the card companies for the most part have horrible quality control on these...they go in upside down, half hanging out, and half straight if pin striped.

Can I please see a scan. Cards like that are not in the vast majority. Most patches will not have threads hanging out.

I've also pulled patches from the pack that were a mess...threads hanging out everywhere and stitchings all messed up...the card companies for the most part have horrible quality control on these...they go in upside down, half hanging out, and half straight if pin striped.

Here's a legitimate patch card WITH threads hanging all over the place:

5Schmidt022309.jpg

2005 Prime Patches HOF Materials Double Patch #HF-4 [5/5]

Not a big patch collector, but greatly appreciate the information. It will become useful when looking a patches of my players from now on. Thanks!