I don't get it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agreed! $500+ is insane! However the auction you have for Nolan isn't his RC, it was 68, but even that isn't going for $500 (unless it's high grade).

Suppose to be rare and hard to find (Strasburg mini 2010 A & G).....but personally..I'm not going to spend $500.00 to get one. I still think it's investors buying them. Just think how many of had the funds to buy Pujols chrome auto rc cards!! Best regards, David

Last edited:
It is amazing....If I had $500 to drop on any 1 card, it would be a 40 or 41 Play Ball Williams. To each his own, I guess...
Scott

There are some pretty serious A&G set collectors out there that would definitely want the Strasburg card for their set. A 1948 Leaf Warren Spahn wouldn't do them any good in their set-building.

This seems like a good point to ask a why question.

The guy that bought the Strasburg super fractor said he wasnt a actively collector and had just picked up a few here and there over the past several years. Then he goes on to say his dream card was a Clemente RC. As soon as I read that I thought to myself why didnt you take some of that 16+K and buy his dream card first. I know that now he's flipped it for a nice profit he should be able to get it and disappear back into his life without cards.

Although it will never happen again most likely, some would say it's crazy to pay $500 for a Ryan RC. If you had been collecting in the beginning (when they were issued) a few cents would have gotten you the card. Even into the 1980s, you would not have had to spend that much to get it...maybe...MAYBE into the double digits! Most of the rookie cards saw explosions like that. Imagine anyone paying over $100 for a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco now, but they did when he was a rookie!

I don't personally believe that the Strasburg cards will hold anything near the value we are seeing now, but you never know. Not to mention there are plenty of people who don't mind spending that kind of money on cards, risky cards even. Most are probably not collectors as much as they are gamblers.

I remember when I was working at a card shop in the late 90s. There was a drunk sheet rocker who used to come in all the time. I wasn't overly fond of the guy as he reeked of cigarettes and alcohol and was a little gruff for most. I was not sure he was all that stable either. Mix in the alcohol and who knows!! He was a regular at the shop though, even if his time (his money) there was only appreciated by the owner.

Anyway, this guy was not what you'll call the typical card collector. I don't think he cared about the cards at all, but he saw it as a gambling alternative. He could spend $100 on lottery tickets or pull tabs and come away with nothing or he could buy a box of cards and sell some back to the shop. If was lucky enough, maybe he'd hit something that made his money back. To a lesser extent, I see a guy like that buying the latest and greatest hot items.

It is amazing....If I had $500 to drop on any 1 card, it would be a 40 or 41 Play Ball Williams. To each his own, I guess...
Scott

Scott
I couldnt agree more theres many other cards out there I would much rather have in my collection for $500 than him. Like a Rose rookie lol

As the saying goes an idiot and his money are soon parted i guess lol. i have a hard time thinking its okay to pay 120 bucks on a 2010 box of cards it you know what i mean.

dave

Likely the same ones who paid $200+ for McGwire Rookies in 1998, or $100 for Mattingly, Canseco, Griffey, Thomas, Sosa, Billy Ripken errors, etc. They are trying to catch on to the next hot thing. They aren't interested in a slow, steady appreciation. They want instant gratification, it's why gambling works so well. A little profit isn't enough. I don't know about where you live, but around here a lot of the bars sell pulltabs. One of the most popular games is bananas. A $2 ticket, most people will buy 10 or 20 tickets at a time. When they do, and they open them up, pretty much anything less than a $100 winner gets turned in for more tickets. Now if you put $20 in and pulled a $26 winner and an $8 winner, you just made a 70% profit, but I can all but guarantee you they turn that $34 into 17 more tickets instead of taking the extra $14. They don't want $14 profit, they want to brag about how they hit that $250 winner. They want to buy the $500 Strasburg, wait for him to win 3-4 games with big stats and flip it for $800-1000. They don't want that Carlton rookie for $200 and hold onto it for 5 years and sell it for $225-250.

That Strasburg won't bring $100 by next year. To justify these sales numbers, we are looking at 300 wins, 4800 strikeouts and a 3.00 ERA for his career with 3-4 Cy Youngs.
Oh wait, why aren't Randy Johnsons cards worth this much???
I still think he is the 2nd coming of Kerry Wood.

It's as simple as what have you done for me lately. Strasburg is ACTIVE and the other guys are RETIRED. Even though Strasburg may turn out to be a bust, the hype is so high right now.

I'm a big Mike Schmidt fan (Greatest 3B of all time), but i'll bet Longoria or Wright are hotter at this time.

You have to know that price will drop, and drop dramatically. And for people paying that kind of money have lost a lot of it. I have seen it before not just this crazy.

That Strasburg won't bring $100 by next year. To justify these sales numbers, we are looking at 300 wins, 4800 strikeouts and a 3.00 ERA for his career with 3-4 Cy Youngs.
Oh wait, why aren't Randy Johnsons cards worth this much???
I still think he is the 2nd coming of Kerry Wood.

He could win 400 games and his cards wont be as hot as they are now. Just the nature of the beast.

Regarding the people who can pay this $ for his card- if they wanted the other cards, they would buy them. No lack of funds. But they want whats HOT so they can brag about it. nothing more.
John

Isn't that one of those really rare high #'d mini SP'S? I think the Pujols is going for about $75-$100 as did his black box from 2010 Heritage. Topps has done a good job creating supply (and therefore) demand issues on some of their regular edition- non auto or GU cards. When was the last time we saw a non RC, non-#'d, non-auto, non patch card go for $50 to $100 consistently on Ebay? I am used to buying Pujols SP's for around $10 when they come out. Topps will (and already is) have a much easier time manipulating the market now that they are the only real, major player.

Isn't that one of those really rare high #'d mini SP'S? I think the Pujols is going for about $75-$100 as did his black box from 2010 Heritage. Topps has done a good job creating supply (and therefore) demand issues on some of their regular edition- non auto or GU cards. When was the last time we saw a non RC, non-#'d, non-auto, non patch card go for $50 to $100 consistently on Ebay? I am used to buying Pujols SP's for around $10 when they come out. Topps will (and already is) have a much easier time manipulating the market now that they are the only real, major player.

Very good points, but Im wondering do any of you think that someday another company may get back into baseball. I personaly think there will even if its because Topps wants in another sport that is locked up as baseball is. As Im not sure who all has exclusive right to what sport or what not. But I think this could happen, but it might take 5-10 years or longer.