I had an AWESOME experience today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierBuddy

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Had a 5 hour break between shifts at work today, and decided to hang out at the local comic book and card shops (they're side-by-side).

While chit-chatting with the card shop owner, a man came in. Said his buddy had received a couple old baseball cards from his grandfather, and asked him to look into selling them.

And he sets down on the counter four cards, each incased in a one-inch-thick screw-down holder.

A 1953 Jackie Robinson, a 1953 Roy Campanella, a 1953 MICKEY MANTLE and a *1955 Topps Roberto Clemente ROOKIE*.

Each card was *AT LEAST* EX+. The shop owner looked at them all, and told the guy he was better off eBaying them. He said he could offer $500 for the lot, but the guy would certainly get more on line.

So, I got to HOLD IN MY HANDS a Clemente rookie and a '53 Mantle. Awesome cards. Simply beautiful. I wanted to weep when he left with them.

You know it was totally cool for the card shop owner to tell the guy he would get more selling them on eBay rather than at his shop. Most dealers up here would try to buy the cards for next to nothing and make the customer think he was getting an excellent deal.

At the card shop I go to,the owner never insults my intelligence and treats me with respect and I'll always be a customer of his and that's something that most shop owners and show dealers lack.

Definitely nice you got to see and hold a 53 Mantle and 55 Clemente RC (wish I still had mine :() but it was more than the cards that made me think your day at the shop was awesome.

The owner's a good guy, but sometimes I wonder about the shop. For instance, he didn't get any Goodwin Champions. When I asked about it, he didn't even seem to KNOW about Goodwin Champions.

And some of his prices are beyond ridiculous. He has 5+ boxes of Baseball Heroes, but they're at $120 a box, and he won't really budge that much on the price. *shrug*

But he's a swell guy, and he'll occasionally give me discounts, and he's always willing to talk sports or cards or whatever.

The owner's a good guy, but sometimes I wonder about the shop. For instance, he didn't get any Goodwin Champions. When I asked about it, he didn't even seem to KNOW about Goodwin Champions.

And some of his prices are beyond ridiculous. He has 5+ boxes of Baseball Heroes, but they're at $120 a box, and he won't really budge that much on the price. *shrug*

But he's a swell guy, and he'll occasionally give me discounts, and he's always willing to talk sports or cards or whatever.

Need to show him eBay auctions with the heroes boxes going for about $59.00 with free shipping!! I would have loved to seen the Mantle and of course the Roberto Clemente cards!! Best regards, David

I was wondering. Do you think they were real? this could be a scam this guy is doing. OR maybe not...

Great story. I would have liked to have held the 53 Mantle :). It's good to know he was honest enough to tell the guy where he could get a better deal.

Bob