I was called out on DC today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chief wahoo

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I went to the post office to get delivery confirmation on a card I sold on ebay. The card was in a top loader and team bag in a typical padded mailer. The postal worker said I could only get DC if the "parcel" was at least 3/4 inch thick. Sure enough, mine wasn't so we had to open it up and add some more packing material.

I had never heard of this before. Although, he pointed out the requirement as printed on the back of the DC slip.

Has anyone ever come across this?

Had it happen a couple of times,some years ago.
Usually if it's close they'll let it slide.
I wonder if anyone has ever asked for a"second opinion"
when one of these postal things come up(like cost(s)?
Ken

It also happened to me once. So, get this.

The one who refused the DC on my undersized package was upstaged by the girl next to her at the counter. She told her to go ahead and accept it. Well she refused. So the girl who "was on my side" took the Bubble mailer and I paid for the postage WITH a DC sticker. Package on it's way!:D

NICE! Thank you very much to that compasionate postal employee.:)

Paul

With ebay recently giving free listing days (like 3 times the past month); I've sold a ton of cards (Currently have 15,000 listed on there).

Anyways I used Paypal Shipping with Delivery confirmation, card in top loader, next to a piece of cardboard (appr. 1/4 inch thick?), then wrapped in news paper, in a plain yellow 6x9 envelope...

I took atleast 50 of these with just one card inside to the post office Friday, lady didn't say anything... However today in the mail, I received a letter saying Not Eligible - Not Rigid - Not Thick - Regular Envelope... with a letter:
DMM 503.9.2.2 Eligible Matter (Del Con);
which basically stated the rules
3/4 inch thick or
in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed. Must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout the processing and handling without collapsing into a letter size or flat size piece.

never had it happen to me personally because i've known of that rule since i started selling and shipping cards....i dont care for packing peanuts (since both my cats tend to think of them as toys/food and drag them all over the house) , but i always tape a small (1/2 inch x 1/2 inch , x 1 1/2 inch) piece of styrofoam to the contents (card in sleeves/toploaders/team bag wrapped in a full-page packing slip) of each of my outgoing packages to ensure it meets minimum thickness....

Last edited:
Had it happen to me once in a great while...Lately with the increased rates...did two or three with dc and not one required the 3/4 on the bubble enevolpe! Best regards, David

It's been a rule for a LONG time, so it'll catch up with you eventually.

It's always better to "fatten" it up anyway with cardboard to ensure that the package doesn't get bent as easily.

DC is free via paypal/ebay labels...and because of that it cost $1.64 vs $1.75 before the "increase". :)

Can someone please explain the logic behind the thickness rule ?

As long as you're paying the package rate I can't for the life of me figure out why thickness plays any part in the equation. Seems to me the usps would want thinner, not thicker packages.
:confused: big time !

Can someone please explain the logic behind the thickness rule ?

As long as you're paying the package rate I can't for the life of me figure out why thickness plays any part in the equation. Seems to me the usps would want thinner, not thicker packages.
:confused: big time !
It's never made any sense to me.
I think next time I'm at the P.O.,
for any reason,I'll ask for an expanation.
Ken