if i file this claim will i win?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
im wondering if i will win this paypal claim if i file

at the start of the month i made a deal with a member on another board. they paid i shipped. a week later they get them and say they are all damaged and ask for a refund as well as offer to ship them back. the price was 32 i sent back 38 non gift to cover the price and shipping. here i am over 2 weeks later he hasnt sent the lot back or responded to my pms which is leading me to believe that the cards wernt damaged but rather he was upset that the cards were junk gu/auto(which i told him they were before he paid) and claimed they were damaged to keep them and get his money back. i started a paypal dispute over this. my question is would i win a claim if i escalted it? since i essentially purcahsed my lot back and he hasnt sent it back. would paypal view it that way or would they rule in his favor?

i know i messed up in not waiting to get the cards back before refunding i dont need to be told that, im just looking for advice on wether paypal will side with me and how i should word the claim so they will side with me

UPDATE- after a little searching around it appears the member that did this is a banned member from that forum. he sent me an email from a different email addy then i used before and it was the same name as the username of a member i had dealt with before so i checked and sure enough the member was banned. so it looks like they are the same member. if i dont get money back at least i was able to out a scammer although if they made one account to come back im sure they will make another

Last edited:
Usually the buyer has to return the item(s) before a refund is issued but it never hurts to escalate to a claim. Then it should be on the buyer to have tracking info regarding their return of the cards. Good luck.

yea i know i made a mistake, its the first time in over 300 transactions that ive ever had to refund and i didnt even think to get the cards back first.

since i essentially repurchased the lot from him which is what a refund was i was thinking of filing to claim and just saying i purchased the lot from him and never recieved it and if he doesnt have a tracking number i should win.

In your refund (since it was not a reversal of the original payment), did you note it was for a return of SPECIFIC goods or what it was for? That would help paypal out.

In your refund (since it was not a reversal of the original payment), did you note it was for a return of SPECIFIC goods or what it was for? That would help paypal out.

i didnt mention anything about what the payment was for i just sent it. which is why im considering just telling paypal i bought a lot and never recieved it since technically i rebought my lot from the guy when i sent the money back.

Yeah as others say it's worth a shot. It sucks to be scammed by people... i know the feeling through just 1 small trade. So I'd definitely file a paypal claim, and I've seen others win their paypal claims on other boards. It never hurts to try I guess when all else seems to fail. Good luck superpieman!

You may also contact the Moderators on the other board and let them know whats going on. They maybe able to help you. Best regards, David

i did that and they are trying to help me out so hopefully they can convince him to send back(which i dont think he will because i dont believe they are damaged) or get my paypal back. im just hoping he doesnt intentionally damage them because they are asking for scans so i hope he doesnt damage them just to prove they are. they arnt good cards but it still would be ashame if he destroyed them just to prove they were damanged

after a little searching around it appears the member that did this is a banned member from that forum. he sent me an email from a different email addy then i used before and it was the same name as the username of a member i had dealt with before so i checked and sure enough the member was banned. so it looks like they are the same member. if i dont get money back at least i was able to out a scammer although if they made one account to come back im sure they will make another

I had my first experience of not being able to get a refund from a purchase of cards I made from Stevenmelcollectibles in Lindenhurst, NY for $48. He requested a personal paypal payment which saved him fees, but also unbeknownst to me didn't protect my purchase. He mailed the cards but the tracking has them leaving Melville, NY three weeks ago and I haven't gotten them. His emails have been strangely combative, even to the degree of insinuating that I might actually have the cards since I'm in a 'rush' to get a refund because hey, mail can be a month or two late, right?...so an expensive lesson for me trying to be a nice guy and save a seller some money. No more personal paypal payments from me...and certainly no more purchases from Steve.

after a little searching around it appears the member that did this is a banned member from that forum. he sent me an email from a different email addy then i used before and it was the same name as the username of a member i had dealt with before so i checked and sure enough the member was banned. so it looks like they are the same member. if i dont get money back at least i was able to out a scammer although if they made one account to come back im sure they will make another
If hes a ban member from that forum....then your only option would be to file a claim. Ban members keep trying to get back....so that can scam other members. Keep us informed as to what happens. Best regards, David

I had my first experience of not being able to get a refund from a purchase of cards I made from Stevenmelcollectibles in Lindenhurst, NY for $48. He requested a personal paypal payment which saved him fees, but also unbeknownst to me didn't protect my purchase. He mailed the cards but the tracking has them leaving Melville, NY three weeks ago and I haven't gotten them. His emails have been strangely combative, even to the degree of insinuating that I might actually have the cards since I'm in a 'rush' to get a refund because hey, mail can be a month or two late, right?...so an expensive lesson for me trying to be a nice guy and save a seller some money. No more personal paypal payments from me...and certainly no more purchases from Steve.
Thanks for the information. Normally anything over $25.00 ...I use paypal. Best regards, David

he contacted me after the paypal dispute was opened and asked for my address to send saying he meant to send but my address got deleted after they closed the dispute(which is true). but i told him i would close it once i get my cards so we will see what happens. ill give it a week or so then open a claim.