If the Post Office goes under next year...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

If it goes under, I am done with online card trading. I dont have Paypal and am not getting it.

They complain thier is no money, but charge stupid amounts to mail on dang thing.

Really... I work for the post office. and try sending that same one little thing you want through one of the other companies and see how much they charge you. Door to door every day for a decent price...

Nobody complains about the drastic rise in gas prices or food prices or clothing or any other product that uses a vehicle to transport items, because of the price of gas. But the post office still charges .44 for a letter and cheaper prices than other companies for packages, but we are not allowed to raise prices on a whim like other companies - so tell me again how much is that "stupid amount" compared to other companies who can make up their costs through raising prices?

Nobody complains about the drastic rise in gas prices or food prices or clothing or any other product that uses a vehicle to transport items, because of the price of gas.

Everybody complains about the price of gas!! And the higher price of gas.... which increases the cost of food and clothing! Best regards, David

There are problems with the Post Office...but it is mainly too many middle management that keep adding piddling jobs for the workers to justify keeping their basically useless positions.
Want to help out? Become a stamp collector...that is pure profit for the po...
Also, you mail what ever you have through your mail carrier and get stamps by mail...also...you don't need paypal to mail stamp on line, just need a credit card at usps.gov.
But, it comes down to the price of fuel...the post office is trying to upgrade to hybrids and electric cars to cut down on the price of fuel.
In CA, where we're paying more then everybody else, when the market crashed, the price of fuel went over $4.00 a gallon...of course, were paying that for half a gallon of milk.
Just don't blame the working bees, we have been doing our jobs, as well as doing the jobs of the retirees and employees that have bid out or on vacation.

I really wish people would read the Constitution prior to creating fear in the general public. The Post Office will not go under, if it did there would be a Constitutional Crisis as the legislative branch would not be doing one of the specifically enumerated duties...

Article 1 Section 8 "To establish Post Offices and post roads"

The Post Office has not received public monies since the 1980's but will most likely have to receive some now to ensure that it does not become insolvent. The price of First Class, and all other mail, will go up to cover increased costs of fuel and wages, but it will still function. The Post Office is one of the largest single employers in the United States, (Walmart might be number one now...) there is no way they will be allowed to fail.

- Chris

I really wish people would read the Constitution prior to creating fear in the general public. The Post Office will not go under, if it did there would be a Constitutional Crisis as the legislative branch would not be doing one of the specifically enumerated duties...

Article 1 Section 8 "To establish Post Offices and post roads"

The Post Office has not received public monies since the 1980's but will most likely have to receive some now to ensure that it does not become insolvent. The price of First Class, and all other mail, will go up to cover increased costs of fuel and wages, but it will still function. The Post Office is one of the largest single employers in the United States, (Walmart might be number one now...) there is no way they will be allowed to fail.

- Chris

Chris, I'm not trying to create fear, I'm just discussing an issue that has been in the news alot this past week and was kinda surprised that no one here had jumped on it. It wasn't me that created that headline, I saw it on one of the 8000 news channels that are on the air and have nothing better to do than discuss all of these "possible" outcomes of the postal services problems. I agree that compaired to other shipping alternatives .44 cents is a heck of a deal, but can american taxpayers afford another expensive bailout?

Chris, I'm not trying to create fear, I'm just discussing an issue that has been in the news alot this past week and was kinda surprised that no one here had jumped on it. It wasn't me that created that headline, I saw it on one of the 8000 news channels that are on the air and have nothing better to do than discuss all of these "possible" outcomes of the postal services problems. I agree that compaired to other shipping alternatives .44 cents is a heck of a deal, but can american taxpayers afford another expensive bailout?

I was in no way insinuating that you were the one spreading the fear, it is the news programs - they should do their due diligence and get it all checked out prior to reporting the doomsday scenario.

As for the idea of a bailout, it will happen because they are legally obligated to. The price of postage can be raised to pay for this and cover the future costs of ensuring the post office stays in the black. The long term next effect on the budget should be nearly zero.

- Chris

They are not going under. They are closing plenty branches. But you have to hope that the post office near you is not on the chopping block. And they need to get you your mail. Just a few times a week not everyday.

It's a screwed up system form the start to the end...................Mr.Mopar summed it up in one word, apathetic......................They just don't give a Flying F#ck....................I hope some lose their jobs because they've been living in the Fat too long, just getting by.....................Customer service is atrocious.....................The USPS doesn't care about YOU! They care about their retirement, pension, and social security..........................We just get in their face needing stamps or wanting to mail a package or 2..................

Finally! Someone agrees with me.

Thanks you

You have made my day :)

In the DC area there was a huge issue about congress and the post office. The USPS was working relatively fine in 2006, turning a profit that year.

In 2006, the Postal Accountability and Retiree Act began taking out 5.6 billion a year. In 2007, properties being leased by the USPS were transferred from government owned to USPS owned. Many of these properties were "rental houses" for high level executives, many costing 10 million dollars a property.

By the end of 2007, after the first year of these changes, the USPS went from green to I think it was a total of 5 billion. The crash hit in 2008 forcing the rapid rise in transportation costs, surging the 5 billion debt to 8.6 billion in 2008.

With the changes made over the past two years, the debt has been reduced to 3.6 billion. So take away the act and you're sitting in the green again.

The major problem with the act was that it was intended to be for retirees. Unfortunately, it transferred these executive properties and had several ear marks to send money to other places, such as defense budget, public works and even congressional discretion spending.

In the end, the post office is going no where. If it does, congress has a SERIOUS problem and it won't be mail not being delivered. There would be another 5-6 billion a year leaving their budgets.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my post a couple of weeks ago.................Was not my intention......................These topics get my blood going and that won't happen again..........................Mike