Insert Sets That Ought To Be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I always thought that the years topps didn't put trophy's on the cards (80-86) I believe, would make a cool subset. So the Players that won the Topps all-rookie team could have their trophy card.

for example

1980 John Castino
1982 Tim Raines, Fernando Valenzuela
1983 Cal Ripken, Kent Hrbek
1984 Ryne Sandberg, Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs
1985 Mark Langston, Kirby Puckett, Alvin Davis, Dwight Gooden
1986 ??

And I thought it would be there with the Rookie Cup issue a few years ago, but they disapointed me, as I did get a Brook Jacoby 1985 reprint but there was no cup on it :(

I've had the idea for a few years similar to the first one in this thread, but larger: 1 card for every no-hitter ever thrown in the majors, numbered to the year of the game. So it's not too difficult to complete but not super duper common. Parallel version numbered to 27. The hard part about that set is that it'd be tough to get pictures of some of the guys from the 1800's and I don't think MLB would want Topps to include a card of Eddie Cicotte, who threw a no hitter in 1917 but was one of the "Black Sox" and was banned from baseball.
Richard

I wish more retiring players would be honored with sets commemorating their career with cards for each team they played with, like Topps did with Nolan Ryan in 1990 or Score with Reggie Jackson in 1988. Just imagine how many cards guys like Julio Franco, Rickey Henderson or Kenny Lofton would have had! But that would make for a cool insert set. But please, no parallels.

What I would like is something like they did with the inaugural Washington Nationals and a card for each position for a team, but only this would be the top player all time for that team. For the Pirates (stop laughing....some of us are still fans of theirs) they would have Stargell,Clemente,Wagner,Maz, the Waners, etc.

They could do 3 teams a year (say 12 cards, 8 position, 3 pitchers and a team card listing career leaders) so that would be a 36 card insert and would last 10 years. I would even take one team per series for the 3 teams a year.

No variations, maybe an auto or 2 per team depending on living players.

I've had the idea for a few years similar to the first one in this thread, but larger: 1 card for every no-hitter ever thrown in the majors, numbered to the year of the game. So it's not too difficult to complete but not super duper common. Parallel version numbered to 27. The hard part about that set is that it'd be tough to get pictures of some of the guys from the 1800's and I don't think MLB would want Topps to include a card of Eddie Cicotte, who threw a no hitter in 1917 but was one of the "Black Sox" and was banned from baseball.
Richard

Like the idea, but would like to see only the Perfect Games have a parallel to 27 and maybe something special for Harvey Haddix.

I would include a team redemption subset. It would include all of the players from ...lets say the Twins from the product.....what so special about that? It would also include all of the twin players on the team who were not included in the product! So their would be 7 players from the product and the remaining X number from the team. Best regards, David
Love this.

I couldn't tell you the players but what I though would be cool is an insert set with the design of the players' Topps card the year before they were a rookie. I might not be making any sense, but, for example, a Kirby Puckett card with an 83 Topps design, the year before he was a rookie. Maybe even show them in their minor league unis.
And this... although even better might be the year they were born; a 1985 Topps Evan Longoria, for example.

My idea is kind of like David's. I'd like to see "authentic" cards of older guys in uniforms that were never shown by Topps.
Yes! Something along the lines of their "60 Years"/"Mom" sets from the last few years... "Cards That Never Were." A Reggie Jackson 1977 Topps Orioles card would be a perfect example.

"Star Locks"

Along the lines of the DNA cards that have already been produced, this insert set would have hair of players - past and present - encased on the card. Randy Johnson would have a double print, and someone like Jay Buhner would have a SP.

Can you imagine owning a card with a lock of the Babe's hair on it?:eek:

Tim

The Whole 99 Yards

Cards recapping the 99 yard runs and passes in NFL history. Wes Welker and Victor Cruz would be new this season. 13 times have 99 yarders been paases. Tony Dorsett ran one 99 yards. Thereby, a 14 card subset.

You left out the best one! Ron Artest vs. the Pistons!

Hall Of Shame
For a set like A&G

Could have serious ones as well as funny ones.
The list could be very long, but off the top of my head........
Blacksox scandal players AND all associated
pete rose
barry bonds
rae carruth
oj simpson
magic johnson
michael vick
john daly
roberto alomar
mike tyson (mmmmm, tastes like chicken)
barrack obama
ty cobb
gus frerotte
serena williams
basketball coaches who threw chairs
absurd celebrations

short print subset could be all about knucklehead fans that fell/jumped out of the stands, ran onto the field, etc, etc.

I would dedicate a set to rivalries with players featured from both teams; Cubs/ Cards, Mets/ Yanks, Giants/ Dodgers, etc. You could go multitudes of different directions with this. Autos/ GU/ parallels, different eras, different divisional alignments, specific historical moments, etc. Who wouldn't love to have a Piazza bat card with a picture of Clemens throwing the bat back at him? Or maybe an ecstatic Pujols and a dejected, deflated Brad Lidge? (Cheer up Astros, you won the series). Etc.

In short, I wish card companies would identify some of the reasons we love sports, ie rivalries, great moments in history, etc.

Tom

Last edited:
I'd like a insert set each year of the championship team from the previous season, with a card for every player on the team over the course of the season, and all available autographed. Similar design to the regular card but perhaps a change in colorization, with a WS champ logo, and they could include the guys who never made it to the regular issue or update card sets. No 'moments' cards, no highlights, just the players, even better if they are pictured holding the trophy. Even better still if the manager AND coaches got their own cards too. Heck, throw in the trainers, owners, press secretary too, LOL! Can you imagine how hot that set would be each season?

I would like to see an Award Winners Through the Years insert set. Maybe one in each line of Topps products but same design for each. Each card would feature the NL/AL player for ROY, MVP, CY (except the years it was just one player for both league) since the awards were handed out. I am not one for numbering but you could number each to the year of the award. One example would be a RoY card for 1989 featuring Greg Olson (Orioles) and Jerome Walton (Cubs).

Last edited:
HOF players that played their entire career with 1 team:
1. Mantle
2. Bench
3. Brooks Robinson
4. Banks
5. Gwynn
6. Ripken
7. Puckett
8. Joe D.
9. Yaz
10. Teddy Ballgame

Maybe a few "on the verge"
Jeter
Chipper

I like the guys who stayed in 1 place.
Well, in 2000, Topps Chrome had an insert set called "Allegiance" which featured stars whom at the time had played their entire careers with one team. Of the 20 players in that set, 13 of them would later play for another team. I always liked the concept of that set, but I like your idea better. They should do a HOF version. :)

John