Is the hobby starting to fade away??,...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bombie1138

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I haven't been excited about the 2010 product at all.It just seems to be the "Same old,same old" in my opinion.I know some of the older collectors think that the 90's explosion was just a waste of time but I really do miss having some choices about how to spend my money.
I will have to make the choices about which direction to go now:
1.Take a break from the hobby.
2.Change my focus to older product (pre-80's)
3.Continue to work on my incomplete sets and don't start any new ones.
4.Purge all product and pull the plug forever.
Been in it for 20 years,..maybe I'm just going to fade away,.

Opinions on your next move would be greatly appreciated.

Clint

Last edited:
Hi Clint:
The hobby has evolved from what it was 20 years ago, but I still enjoy it. I am not excited about the 2010 products either; I think that I will focus on cards that I still need from years past. Maybe you can do the same. By the way, I think that I have commons from the 1970s if you are interested.

Luis

Hey Clint, I have been going throught he same thing lately. I have just been trying to focus on older sets that have been pretty dormant for a while. I just completed about 4 or 5 sets this week. If you make 4 or 5 trades in the next week or two the feeling will probably come back. Nothing gives the same feeling as coming home from work after a horrible day and seeing three bubble mailers in the box. I picked up some 1992 Donruss Cracker Jacks, 1988 pacific Legends, and a bunch of other stuff like that last wek. they all showed up on Monday and it was a great way to end a really ****** day. I have completed the 2010 Topps set but I am not even going to try and get the SP's that are in that set. If you look in the beckett Monthly the only thing that is listed are the SP's. It is getting ridiculous but there is really nothing we can do about it. I picked up a bunch of cheap GU stuff to use as trade bait to try and get the stuff I want. Well this reply is getting pretty long so I better stop for now. I could go on all night.

Hope this helps!!

Bryon

I guess what I'm really wishing for is that Topps would produce just a great base card again.I'm looking at a 1999 Gold Label #29 Tim Salmon Class 2 Black right now,.Its just a great looking card.
I don't mind spending 5 dollars a pack,but give me a beautiful card in return.I'm hoping that Topps will produce a medium range set again without SP's and inserts and go hi-tech on the design,..I'm sure the cost involved will be higher, but I believe the rewards could be there.I use to be in to it for the cash,lived for a price guide hitting that mailbox but those days ended at the turn of the century for me.
Its always cool to get that "Killer Pull" but I keep my expectations very low when I rip that wrapper these days,maybe I am just spoiled,could be.I guess I will see what happens next,..but
I am very bored with GU's and Autos and SP's,...

Last edited:
I would also like a set without SP's. I guess we have with Topps Opening Day but I am not sure. I have started getting into the heritage sets but the SP's in those are killers. I kind of think that it is getting harder and harder to make trades. Even on here. I just do not have a ton of autos and GU's to trade for the last bunch of 1994 Donruss I need. I buy mostly what I need but with gas and everything going up I am going to start cutting back more and more. another suggestion I have to maybe get some of that feeling back is to go to a show. I went to one two weeks ago and it was just nice to actually talk to a real person about cards. And I only spent about 40.00 but was there for about 3 hours. Was the best time I have had in the hobby in quite a while.

It might be a little slow now.... but the 2010 Topps Chicle has some nice designs.......Bowman is coming out this week.....Best regards, David

I have to admit that the choices are suffering at the moment with only Topps in the game. I'm not sure what needs to happen for a spark. I used to stop by the blaster section at Walmart or Target and have to debate over what I wanted to grab. Now, I look around, ho-hum, and leave with nothing!

I agree on focusing on something from the past. My trade boxes are still busting with good stuff from the past 10 years.

I like to see them go 3D,
Buy a blaster and get some cool glasses too,.3D refractors,that would really cool..and keep it American !!

That would keep the younger generation interested too,.

Just a Idea from my inner-child,..fading away,..lol,.

Clint

Last edited:
Hey Clint, I have been going throught he same thing lately. I have just been trying to focus on older sets that have been pretty dormant for a while. I just completed about 4 or 5 sets this week. If you make 4 or 5 trades in the next week or two the feeling will probably come back. Nothing gives the same feeling as coming home from work after a horrible day and seeing three bubble mailers in the box. I picked up some 1992 Donruss Cracker Jacks, 1988 pacific Legends, and a bunch of other stuff like that last wek. they all showed up on Monday and it was a great way to end a really ****** day. I have completed the 2010 Topps set but I am not even going to try and get the SP's that are in that set. If you look in the beckett Monthly the only thing that is listed are the SP's. It is getting ridiculous but there is really nothing we can do about it. I picked up a bunch of cheap GU stuff to use as trade bait to try and get the stuff I want. Well this reply is getting pretty long so I better stop for now. I could go on all night.

Hope this helps!!

Bryon

When it comes to base Topps sets, I don't even buy any packs anymore. I buy the $60 set (sometimes on clearance for $40 or $50) at the end of the year and it comes with a neat card for my collection as well. I just hated having the multiples that nobody else wanted.

I think the hobby is becoming less and less a hobby for kids, especially, with all the new electronics and there's so much you can spend your money on nowadays. At my school, I don't know one student out of 500 or so that avidly collects cards like I do. Like you say though, Bryon, the day gets a whole lot better when you see those trades in the mailbox. Man, I love that feeling.

I am very bored with GU's and Autos and SP's,...

I agree with this quote except for the Autos. I agree modern autos have become watered down, but chasing down those tough Raider autos keeps me going. It doesn't matter to me if they are new or old, PSA DNA or not.

I was where you are 6 years ago. My daughter was born, so money was tight. I was always a set builder but the explosion of the number of sets irritated me to say nothing of paying $2-$3 a pack (God I miss the 35 cent packs from the early-mid eighties) for what eventually would become a block 1000 duplicate commons.

At that point I decided to only trade for I what I need and work on uncompleted modern and vintage sets. Slowly, I completed some sets and I began some new ones. What I love about only trading to complete sets is that it forces me to become patient. For example, I have been working on a 1972 Topps set since 2001. Since I've worked on it now for nine years, I treasure that incomplete set more than a set that took me a short time to complete because of the patience required. When every small addition to it comes in the mail, I drool upon seeing it because although it is not in NM-MT condition, it took me the better part of a decade to acquire it.

My advice for you is to become less focused on the new - it will only break your heart and your budget - and tied up some loose ends on older sets you have and begin collecting vintage cards. Sure the current hobby will go by the wayside but there will be collectors of the older stuff for years to come.

For a twist, try collecting a player. If you don't have a player collection or have one that has run stale, maybe consider a different player. Stay away from a current player if you can to avoid the helpless feeling that comes from knowing an endless supply of new cards will be issued that you can't possible find and/or afford!

I have done this on occasion, but since I don't have myself set up to easily trade lesser cards (commons, semis, etc), I have not gone full bore. I can't bring myself to spend $3.00 per card just in s/h unless it's a primary player want.

I would really focus on my Al Oliver, Willie Davis and Albert Belle collections if I needed a change, not to mention reviving the old Frank Thomas collection.

I haven't been excited about the 2010 product at all.It just seems to be the "Same old,same old" in my opinion.I know some of the older collectors think that the 90's explosion was just a waste of time but I really do miss having some choices about how to spend my money.
I will have to make the choices about which direction to go now:
1.Take a break from the hobby.
2.Change my focus to older product (pre-80's)
3.Continue to work on my incomplete sets and don't start any new ones.
4.Purge all product and pull the plug forever.
Been in it for 20 years,..maybe I'm just going to fade away,.

Opinions on your next move would be greatly appreciated.

Clint

You still do have choices. You can buy the products from the times long past, the new stuff, the 90's stuff, player specific, team specific, accomplishment specific (Cy Young winners, MVP's, WS MVP's, dramatic plays, etc), you can build sets, you can focus on getting things signed through the mail, you can speculate on rookies, you can start the next great buy/sell experiment, you can collect player milestones (i.e. Ichiro hit .351 in 2007 and had 238 hits, see how many 2007 Ichiro cards you can collect serial #'ed 351 or 238 out of whatever),you can buy boxes, cases, packs, sets, singles, or nothing at all. My local card shop went out of business in late 1994, I went to a smattering of shows between then and 2002, then I found Topps Heritage and started getting back into the hobby a lot heavier. The hobby is whatever YOU want it to be. The fact that I can buy a Bob Feller autograph on a card that is almost 50 years old, or a card with a swatch of uniform from Jackie Robinson, someone who helped change not only baseball, but an entire country, for about the price of a blaster box or an afternoon at the movie theater, will never get old to me. I can trade with people in other states and countries, I can access things I only dreamed about owning 15 years ago

I go through that stage often, like right now for instance. Not really into collecting for my player needs that much. Once baseball season rolls around I'm all about getting TTM/IP auto's and memorabilia. Even what I trade for mostly this time of the year is that or cards of minor league guys that I'll see I can get auto's from. I've wasted a ton of money doing TTM but take some of those old doubles you have you couldn't pay someone to take and send them out to the player. You'll get hooked after your first couple and you realize your .88 you payed to send out the card(s) just got you an autograph instead of the $5 you spent on a pack of cards that got you nothing but base of guys you aren't intrested in or can't trade because everyone already got them the first week the product came out.

For a twist, try collecting a player. If you don't have a player collection or have one that has run stale, maybe consider a different player. Stay away from a current player if you can to avoid the helpless feeling that comes from knowing an endless supply of new cards will be issued that you can't possible find and/or afford!

I have done this on occasion, but since I don't have myself set up to easily trade lesser cards (commons, semis, etc), I have not gone full bore. I can't bring myself to spend $3.00 per card just in s/h unless it's a primary player want.

I would really focus on my Al Oliver, Willie Davis and Albert Belle collections if I needed a change, not to mention reviving the old Frank Thomas collection.

I'm down to just collecting bradshaw and a few HOF's that I need for my boys collection...and to be honest, the 15 parallels and the hunt for Bradshaw stuff is starting to tire after being on the hunt for 3+ years now...as the "exclusives" evolve and the card companies continue to alienate people with poor customer service and shoddy business practices...the star just doesn't shine as bright as it did once for me...I'm still around, but not like i was.

It was 2001 Topps Heritage that got me back in the hobby and it's
the only product I've collected since 2006.I have a couple of sets
between 2001 and 2005 to finish up and doubt that I'll ever buy
anything other than Heritage in the future.
Take a break,decide on one,two or(maybe)three things you really
enjoy about this hobby and concentrate on them only.Some off the
things you've lost interest in might be good trade material as well.
Just my opinion,
Ken

Yes the hobby is going down...It will be done in 10 years!

You better quit now then.

You still do have choices. You can buy the products from the times long past, the new stuff, the 90's stuff, player specific, team specific, accomplishment specific (Cy Young winners, MVP's, WS MVP's, dramatic plays, etc), you can build sets, you can focus on getting things signed through the mail, you can speculate on rookies, you can start the next great buy/sell experiment, you can collect player milestones (i.e. Ichiro hit .351 in 2007 and had 238 hits, see how many 2007 Ichiro cards you can collect serial #'ed 351 or 238 out of whatever),you can buy boxes, cases, packs, sets, singles, or nothing at all. My local card shop went out of business in late 1994, I went to a smattering of shows between then and 2002, then I found Topps Heritage and started getting back into the hobby a lot heavier. The hobby is whatever YOU want it to be. The fact that I can buy a Bob Feller autograph on a card that is almost 50 years old, or a card with a swatch of uniform from Jackie Robinson, someone who helped change not only baseball, but an entire country, for about the price of a blaster box or an afternoon at the movie theater, will never get old to me. I can trade with people in other states and countries, I can access things I only dreamed about owning 15 years ago

Pretty much said what I was thinking there:)

Doesn't really bother me too much that the new products are kind of boring and limited because there is so much from the past that is still out there to acquire. For me I will always have stuff to hunt down because my PC involves such a wide range of players and span of time.

None of us can tell you what to do, you need to choose something that feels right between you and the hobby.