is this even possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
i was wondering if this is even possible. been looking around on ebay and came across 1930 goudey cards in nrmt-mt cond for $15.00, also 1951 topps in nrmt-mt cond for $7-8 dollars. everything i ve read and heard about vintage cards in the pas almost 40 years is how cards from the 30's,40,s and 50's are almost impossible to find in mint condition as most were either thrown away, rubber banded together in a shoe box or found its way into some kids bicycle spokes. so to find one in nrmt-mt condition is hard but then to find a card that old for $7-8? these are original cards too, not reprints..could this be possible to find old cards for that cheap in that great of a condition? your thoughts please.
elbert

Given the style of the 51 Topps, it is easy to understand how there are nice cards available even after 60 years. Round corners don't wear quite as bad as sharp ones!

I believe there was also a large find a few years back with a bunch of unopened packs, making it even easier to find nice examples.

As far as the other years, people sock away piles of cards and they resurface years later. Really nice cards are not impossible to find, but are getting harder and harder as the years pass because they either end up in collections or don't even hit the market. Grading has made it even harder, because the really nice stuff ends up graded and becomes ridiculously expensive.

The commons, unless they are SPs, high numbers or some other reason for scarcity don't have to be expensive in nice shape either. I'd guess those are possibly starting prices too, not final prices, although deals can be found all the time.

i was wondering if this is even possible. been looking around on ebay and came across 1930 goudey cards in nrmt-mt cond for $15.00, also 1951 topps in nrmt-mt cond for $7-8 dollars. everything i ve read and heard about vintage cards in the pas almost 40 years is how cards from the 30's,40,s and 50's are almost impossible to find in mint condition as most were either thrown away, rubber banded together in a shoe box or found its way into some kids bicycle spokes. so to find one in nrmt-mt condition is hard but then to find a card that old for $7-8? these are original cards too, not reprints..could this be possible to find old cards for that cheap in that great of a condition? your thoughts please.
elbert

I'm guessing you mean 1930's Goudey, since the first sets were issued in 1933.

Sure it's possible, but it's also possible (and more likely) the cards have been overgraded, bleached, trimmed, or were from various reprint sets.

Without seeing the cards/auctions, it's tough to say. A 1951 Red back common in that condition isn't TOTALLY out of the question. They had a find of unopened boxes years ago, and the round corners held up well. A bit cheap at $7-8. If you are talking 1952 Topps, it's VERY unlikely. NRMT-MT is the equivalent of PSA 8, which commons sell for about $150-250 as an 8 with no qualifiers. Even the 7's (with no qualifiers) get $60 or so, so if they truly are in that range, it's tough to figure out why a dealer wouldn't send them in when it could be THAT profitable. True high grade vintage ALWAYS has buyers.

thanks guys, i appreciate the response. i guess once i buy them and see them first hand, i wont really know. im just being careful of the if its too good to be true it is syndrome! a few years back, i got a card for a really great price and when i got it it was marked reprint on the back!