I've spent a year watching this card...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Some of those S/S cards were lousy. That happened to my Dr. Mike Marshall glove card too! Fortunately it has not gotten that bad. Yours kinda looks like Blurry Smudgefield now instead of Gary Sheffield!

I had no idea that Dr. Marshall had certified stuff. I just figured that since he is so anti-autograph, and certainly doesn't need the money, that he had no issues. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I would make an excepting to getting a Pilots auto on a Pilots item if I could just find something.

I had no idea that Dr. Marshall had certified stuff. I just figured that since he is so anti-autograph, and certainly doesn't need the money, that he had no issues. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I would make an excepting to getting a Pilots auto on a Pilots item if I could just find something.

He only has the one card, and it's limited to 125 or 250 or something like that... very rare and sought after card. I don't know why he's so anti-auto though, do you? Or anybody? Also, CC certainly doesn't need the money, but he's nice enough to keep selling autos! :D I don't get why Dr Marshall doesn't need the money... and why does he hate his fans? sniffle sniffle

Curt knows way more about it than I do. My understanding is that he just does not see the value in autographs. Basically saying, "why on earth do you want me to scribble on a piece of paper for you". But like I said Curt knows way more about it than I. I guess I'm saying he doesn't need the money because he is a well respected Doctor and if he needed the money he would do it.

Curt knows way more about it than I do. My understanding is that he just does not see the value in autographs. Basically saying, "why on earth do you want me to scribble on a piece of paper for you". But like I said Curt knows way more about it than I. I guess I'm saying he doesn't need the money because he is a well respected Doctor and if he needed the money he would do it.

One of us should become Mike Marshall's patient and get a prescription from him. Cut signature, presto!:D

Things like this make me glad the Tino Martinez one I pulled is in great shape. Still have it for some reason, maybe just because he always killed the tribe back in the day.

Any way you'd trade that? :)

One of us should become Mike Marshall's patient and get a prescription from him. Cut signature, presto!:D

I'd pay full book for that lol

Things like this make me glad the Tino Martinez one I pulled is in great shape. Still have it for some reason, maybe just because he always killed the tribe back in the day.

Interesting that Tino Martinez comes up in this conversation. After reading this, I pulled my set I have from this set and most of them are in good shape, 1-2 (my Mattingly/Tino dual especially...GRRRRR :mad:) are starting to fade. Time to dump them!!

Steph

Marshall has at least 2 cards in one of the sweet spot sets, both are numbered to 25 copies each. One is a baseball and the other a glove. The baseball versions had red and blue threads if I remember correctly. They probably look great still and are tucked into collections. The gloves have all likely faded to nearly unreadable states, like mine! Those are probably all still tucked into collections though, given his policy on signing. Not sure how those signatures came to be, but maybe Chris Carlin at UD could give us a clue if anyone still has a connection with him.

I am no expect on Marshall by any stretch, however I did contact him through his website (http://www.drmikemarshall.com/) and he did answer a few questions for me. This is kinda funny. Taken from the main page of his site..."To help defray the costs of operating my website, I greatly appreciate your donations." Got an idea for you bro...offer to sell your signature for donations!!! Even at a reduced market rate, you'd be sitting pretty good on the donation front!

He even claimed that my Marshall sig on a program is not real. This was in a program with a number of other signatures that appear very much real.
MM.jpg
Marshall.jpg
I mean, who personalizes a fake??? Honestly, I am holding out for the chance he is wrong and don't believe him, but some may say who better to tell than the man himself. If he really didn't sign that often, he probably does remember everything he's signed! He did comment that the writing is too neat to be his though.:(

He avoids discussing the signature thing for the most part, but I have read where he had said it was because he didn't see any reason for it and that meeting a person is a much better "treasure". Basketball HOFer Bill Russell had a similar policy to my understanding, but he has signed much more than Marshall, especially of late.

I have even heard that Marshall flat out refused requests from teammates and other players, so his fans were not the only snubs! I have seen ticket request forms where he signs only his last name. I recently saw a 75 or 76 team ball that the seller claimed was given to him directly by Davey Lopes. Marshall IS on the ball, but only his last name!

However, Marshall sigs are out there on various cards, balls, magazines, etc and I think most are through a collector named Bill Corcoran (http://www.signingshotline.com/UBB/UBBcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000525). Apparently Mr. Corcoran was able to convince the good doctor to sign a limited number of items at a very steep price (I heard about 500 items $100 per sig, but remember that was COST, not selling price. Still that was $50K!). Now given the market for Marshall sigs, maybe that price doesn't seem so high, but supply/demand drives the prices up. Most I have seen offered for sale start in the $250 range and go up from there!

Marshall has the power to either make a boatload of money by increasing supply or even to become a fan friendly dude and offer them for free, but it seems that will likely never happen!

The worst part for me personally is that he has some extremely cool cards that I would love to have signed (75 and 76 Topps for starters...plus more). Many of his cards were action shots or specials (league leader, highlight, traded, etc) and those are some of my favorites for IP/TTM. The facial hair he had was HOF too!

Marshall has at least 2 cards in one of the sweet spot sets, both are numbered to 25 copies each. One is a baseball and the other a glove. The baseball versions had red and blue threads if I remember correctly. They probably look great still and are tucked into collections. The gloves have all likely faded to nearly unreadable states, like mine! Those are probably all still tucked into collections though, given his policy on signing. Not sure how those signatures came to be, but maybe Chris Carlin at UD could give us a clue if anyone still has a connection with him.

I am no expect on Marshall by any stretch, however I did contact him through his website (http://www.drmikemarshall.com/) and he did answer a few questions for me. This is kinda funny. Taken from the main page of his site..."To help defray the costs of operating my website, I greatly appreciate your donations." Got an idea for you bro...offer to sell your signature for donations!!! Even at a reduced market rate, you'd be sitting pretty good on the donation front!

He even claimed that my Marshall sig on a program is not real. This was in a program with a number of other signatures that appear very much real.
MM.jpg
Marshall.jpg
I mean, who personalizes a fake??? Honestly, I am holding out for the chance he is wrong and don't believe him, but some may say who better to tell than the man himself. If he really didn't sign that often, he probably does remember everything he's signed! He did comment that the writing is too neat to be his though.:(

He avoids discussing the signature thing for the most part, but I have read where he had said it was because he didn't see any reason for it and that meeting a person is a much better "treasure". Basketball HOFer Bill Russell had a similar policy to my understanding, but he has signed much more than Marshall, especially of late.

I have even heard that Marshall flat out refused requests from teammates and other players, so his fans were not the only snubs! I have seen ticket request forms where he signs only his last name. I recently saw a 75 or 76 team ball that the seller claimed was given to him directly by Davey Lopes. Marshall IS on the ball, but only his last name!

However, Marshall sigs are out there on various cards, balls, magazines, etc and I think most are through a collector named Bill Corcoran (http://www.signingshotline.com/UBB/UBBcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000525). Apparently Mr. Corcoran was able to convince the good doctor to sign a limited number of items at a very steep price (I heard about 500 items $100 per sig, but remember that was COST, not selling price. Still that was $50K!). Now given the market for Marshall sigs, maybe that price doesn't seem so high, but supply/demand drives the prices up. Most I have seen offered for sale start in the $250 range and go up from there!

Marshall has the power to either make a boatload of money by increasing supply or even to become a fan friendly dude and offer them for free, but it seems that will likely never happen!

The worst part for me personally is that he has some extremely cool cards that I would love to have signed (75 and 76 Topps for starters...plus more). Many of his cards were action shots or specials (league leader, highlight, traded, etc) and those are some of my favorites for IP/TTM. The facial hair he had was HOF too!

Awesome read, Curt. I really enjoy posts like yours.....very informative!

Tim