Most underrated and overrated players?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meliah

MVP
5.00 star(s)
So who do you guys think is the most underrated player in the BSL currently that has a .5-1 star rating?

Who do you think is the most overrated player with a 4 star or higher rating?

With a 1 star rating I'll nominate Detroit Tigers 5th starter Kei Yokoyama as most underrated. Last year went 9 and 12 with a 3.92 ERA, so far this year is 4 and 2 with a 4.04 ERA.

With a 4.5 star rating I'll nominate Todd Moran as most overrated. Just seems like with stats like his he would have a much higher career batting average, has never driven in more than 78 runs in a year and has only had one year where he walked more than 100 times (has an 18 for eye). Granted some factors have to be taken for the teams he's played with but for 12+ million a year I'd want more production.

Love to hear some what other players you think belong here.

Last edited:
Havent had time this week to respond. Interesting topic. Just a glance at top players, i can easily find some huge underperformers

Matt, Moran has a career .420 on base don't know many with a .300+ career avg, 400+ on base and a Corp out of the roof. He isn't a 30 homerun 100 RBI guy

Matt, Moran has a career .420 on base don't know many with a .300+ career avg, 400+ on base and a Corp out of the roof. He isn't a 30 homerun 100 RBI guy

I know he has decent career stats but for his numbers, potential and salary I expect more from him is all. With 17 contact and 16 gap he seems to be a perfect hitter for the three hole yet he doesn't seem to really drive in the runs like he should. You can't like him that much, you've traded him away twice:)

Lol true I have him back though lol. I understand the concern on his RBIs but my point is 12 mil for a guy with that VORP. There are much worse player with much worse contracts. I am predicting a career year out of him this season he is going to be hitting in my 3 spot so we will see how he fairs.

Lol true I have him back though lol. I understand the concern on his RBIs but my point is 12 mil for a guy with that VORP. There are much worse player with much worse contracts. I am predicting a career year out of him this season he is going to be hitting in my 3 spot so we will see how he fairs.

Like whom, as this is the point of the thread:)

toward the end of a really good career, I think OF Arnie Wright, now with the Pirates, has to be pretty underrated, The last 3 seasons he is hitting HRs in the 30s still and really hasn't hurt his career vorp much. A 1 star player with these stats year after year is pretty rare I would think.

If you had asked Overpaid that would have been much easier to pick out a bunch of guys. Look at the top 20 salaries and there are several there who are busting the bank but certainly not the fastball anymore. Good topic, I missed this the first time.

toward the end of a really good career, I think OF Arnie Wright, now with the Pirates, has to be pretty underrated, The last 3 seasons he is hitting HRs in the 30s still and really hasn't hurt his career vorp much. A 1 star player with these stats year after year is pretty rare I would think.

If you had asked Overpaid that would have been much easier to pick out a bunch of guys. Look at the top 20 salaries and there are several there who are busting the bank but certainly not the fastball anymore. Good topic, I missed this the first time.

Wright is a good one, still putting up solid numbers at a 1 star level. Pirates can do no wrong so far this year:)

So who do you guys think is the most underrated player in the BSL currently that has a .5-1 star rating?
2B Orlando Pena(Twins). Orlando is a 1 star player who is currently hitting .415 and has a 13.3 VORP rating for a team that has the worst record in the BSL( Sorry Andy.) Plus he is not even an everyday starter for the Twins, it is time to bench either Carrasco, Paresa or Duncan and let this kid spread his wings.

Who do you think is the most overrated player with a 4 star or higher rating?
I am not going to single out one player when their are a handful of players that are having slow starts to the beginning of the 2008 season. SS Hung-Cuong Ha(A's), 2B Jose Durango(Padres), 3B Carlos Garcia(White Sox), SS Al Burden(Reds), SS Rocky Willis(Giants), 2B Ian Kinsler(Blue Jays), 1B Dan T. Murphy(Rangers), CF Nick Sweet(Brewers).. But to choose from these players 2B Jose Durango (Padres) is the most overrated( Began 2018 as a 5 star player, missed first 2 weeks of the season(Biceps injury) and has a current VORP rating of -5.4)

Most underrated players all-time... RF Jason Sexton(Cubs) - Drafted as a 1 star player then exploded into one of the most dominate offensive players ever in BSL... He is going to be our first player inducted into the BSL Hall of Fame!! Honorable mention - 3B Rafael Borges (Giants) - 1 1/2 star player picked up in the Rule 5 draft in 2008. He has been the offensive force that has keep the Giants as one of the top NL West teams for the last 10 seasons.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I saw Moran's stats. Good, but only about 10 HR per year. He came out strong and made the All Star game his first two years - just never seemed to get to that next level, but he does get on base a lot.

My best overachievers are SP Flores (1.5 stars) - he's 6-4 with a nice 3.30 ERA

Also, 1B DeJesus (1.5 stars) - hitting .311 for me with 7 HR

My best single season overachiever was probably SP Denny Miller in 2016. He was a 0.5 star player and went 19-4 with a 3.54 ERA in 193 IP.

2B Will Garrett comes to mind as a 5-star player that is good, but performs more like a 3-star guy.

SS Jose Flores still has 4.5 stars but he hits around .220 the last few years.

For pitchers, I always thought SP Bud Norris was a little overrated. 4-star guy has had a couple good years, but seems more like a 2.5-3 star pitcher in reality.

Good call on Arnie Wright. I got some massive HR numbers from him for a few years and he was never over 2.5 stars.

SP Jeff Francis was usually a 2-star guy that pitched more like a 4-star guy for a couple years with me, too.

Eric