Ok so I got my grading coupons in...what to grade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJCloutier

Pro
5.00 star(s)
So since my dads passing I call Beckett and get his coupons mailed to me. They didn't even ask for anything either which was weird... They were just like where do you want them mailed? And I told them my address and they said "They'll be there in a few days..." Sure enough they showed up today! 8 free gradings cause of the deal he signed up with for all the Becketts.

So far I'm getting my Joe Dimaggio 1992 UD heroes auto graded. I think it'll do well. I'm thinking i might end up grading some PC stuff of Sheffield but the rate of return on that is that A. I don't want to sell it if it comes back well and B. It probably wouldn't go that high anyway.

GRADING QUESTION- It say's... Include $2 for every certified autograph. (something like that) So for the Joe D. I'd have to include an extra $2?

What kinds of things should I get graded? I'm not decided on...

seeing it was your dads id get HIS fav cards graded for keepsakes. so they dont get dameged and u will always have them. things to remember him by.

who cares if they come back low the idea is to have them protected. unless ur going to sell off the collection? id do my fathers fav cards at least. a few of them. the cupons didnt cost u anything. they were your dads prob something he wanted to do w/ them. thats just my 2 cents

You don't need to grade something in order to protect it well. I would go with some of the higher dollar items and whatever is special to you. Personally, I don't like the idea of my favorite cards trapped in heavy plastic, but we all have our own preferences.

You don't need to grade something in order to protect it well. I would go with some of the higher dollar items and whatever is special to you. Personally, I don't like the idea of my favorite cards trapped in heavy plastic, but we all have our own preferences.

Yes, this is the idea I was going with. If it's a low grade it brings the collection down, no question. I don't care if I'm not looking to sell it, it just does either way you look at it. And he didn't get his own Glenn's graded anyway, he always got non pc items graded to sell them. I'm just wondering what other items I should get graded. Like what types.

I would say Rookies and Vintage. I guess I'm just not a big fan of grading newer cards unless they are RC's. Just my opinion though...

Thanks
Craig

Well, I would NOT get the DiMaggio graded. I'm betting it's probably not in gem mint shape, and having it come back an 8 or something around there would distract from the card IMO. That's just speculation of course, based on the fact that you said you "found" the DiMaggio somewhere. Unless you found it sealed in the original pack then it probably won't grade very high. I would stick with vintage and nice rookies if you are trying to sell and if you have anything like that. That being said, it's your coupons you should send in whatever you want. Doesn't really matter what we think. We don't know every type of card you have anyway.

Well, I would NOT get the DiMaggio graded. I'm betting it's probably not in gem mint shape, and having it come back an 8 or something around there would distract from the card IMO. That's just speculation of course, based on the fact that you said you "found" the DiMaggio somewhere. Unless you found it sealed in the original pack then it probably won't grade very high. I would stick with vintage and nice rookies if you are trying to sell and if you have anything like that. That being said, it's your coupons you should send in whatever you want. Doesn't really matter what we think. We don't know every type of card you have anyway.

The Dimaggio is pretty nice compared to most Mint condition cards. Everything looks great on it. I found it in a screwdown where it's been for at least 10 years. I'll still see how it does, worst comes to worst I figure an 8

My main question is: Why does everything have to always come down to "What it's worth?"

I've got some commons that my Dad owned from the 60's. They are "worth" more to me than any price guide says or any AUTOGRAPH, 1/1, or graded card anyone could trade me.

It is all about what you are in it for, I suppose.

Tim