OpenChecklist has a new website

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerk01

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
www.openchecklist.net

We launched the new website late last week. It should be faster and gives more control to the users.

Manufacturers, Brands, Sets, Subjects, Players, Teams, Cards all can be updated by you.
Images can be uploaded. (There's an approval process)
Changes to your inventory/wantlist are live. (Used to hit the recalc interests tool)

Coming soon: Uploading sets and cards, Automated matchups with other collectors

We'd love your feedback!

Hi,
I took a little peak at your site, looks user-friendly. Right away, I liked that you can match a "want" card with something in someone's inventory without seemingly having to do much work...need to read more about how that gets done. Thanks!!

no sets listed after 2009?

That's one of the driving forces behind the rewrite. The old system took a lot of effort to get a set added. Our new system should be easier and can give us the edge needed to catch up. We used to do all updates in a batch process, now we can add sets as soon as they are ready for import.

Sadly the manufacturers have made it more difficult to get the data.

OpenChecklist is also lacking experts in Hockey, Basketball and other sports to help verify the data. My target is to start importing 2012 Baseball in March. From there we'll backfill the missing years as we can until we're caught up.

Go swipe all of the data from SCF's Inventory Manager! A little copy/paste/reformat and you've got an instant database that is at least as comprehensive as Beckett's.

Last edited:
I signed up to give this a try, but have not gotten very far. A few things I've noted as not working (at least as I would expect them to):

On the left navigation bar, the following links do nothing (they are just a link to the page I am currently on, no matter where I am):
- Want List/Inventory
- Get Started
- Help
- Partners

When I click on My Collection at the top, if I'm interpreting this correctly, it shows that I already have a ton of stuff. For example, the 40-man line shows that I have 1015 in my personal collection, 506 in Trade/Sell, and 37 in my Want List.

It looks like this would be a nice site to use, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Britt

Trying to upload images .... and failing miserably!!! Nothing opens to allow me to give an upload path. I'm currently using Firefox.

DAVE

Go swipe all of the data from SCF's Inventory Manager! A little copy/paste/reformat and you've got an instant database that is at least as comprehensive as Beckett's.

Hey DaClyde, Beckett has threatened us in the past... we've got to be above board to keep them at bay. I haven't used the SCF inventory system, but at a glance it looks like they may be licensing the info from Beckett.

I signed up to give this a try, but have not gotten very far. A few things I've noted as not working (at least as I would expect them to):

On the left navigation bar, the following links do nothing (they are just a link to the page I am currently on, no matter where I am):
- Want List/Inventory
- Get Started
- Help
- Partners

When I click on My Collection at the top, if I'm interpreting this correctly, it shows that I already have a ton of stuff. For example, the 40-man line shows that I have 1015 in my personal collection, 506 in Trade/Sell, and 37 in my Want List.

It looks like this would be a nice site to use, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Britt

Britt, I took a look at this today. All of those pages are being rewritten. They should be there in a couple weeks.

The My Collection issue was a mistake on my part. I let slip in some test code and it was showing my personal info instead. That should be fixed. Thanks for reporting it!

Trying to upload images .... and failing miserably!!! Nothing opens to allow me to give an upload path. I'm currently using Firefox.

DAVE

Dave, look just below the info section. The page loads really fast and if you blink everything looks like it's the same. If you still can't see it, send me a PM? I'll work with you on it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Hey DaClyde, Beckett has threatened us in the past... we've got to be above board to keep them at bay. I haven't used the SCF inventory system, but at a glance it looks like they may be licensing the info from Beckett.

I can tell you for certain they are not. So long as you don't duplicate their formatting, they have no claim to the content itself any more than Yellow Pages can claim ownership of a list of phone numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural

Besides, Beckett has a fraction of the staff they used to, and likely don't have the resources to go around threatening other websites now. So long as you don't duplicate the formatting or steal their pricing information, you should be fine.

I got one page to open with a browse option for images. Uploaded the scan and now have to wait to see if it's accepted. I scan a lot of my cards for various reasons and would like to contribute as much as I can to this project.

DAVE

I can tell you for certain they are not. So long as you don't duplicate their formatting, they have no claim to the content itself any more than Yellow Pages can claim ownership of a list of phone numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural

Besides, Beckett has a fraction of the staff they used to, and likely don't have the resources to go around threatening other websites now. So long as you don't duplicate the formatting or steal their pricing information, you should be fine.

We are complete agreement here. All of this information is factual information.

I'm not too worried about the source of information as long as it's not Beckett. They might be smaller now than before, but they are still completely owned by another company. I'm a company of 1 and don't have the resources to fight a legal battle even if I was on the right side of the law.

Now I can't even sign in. Any idea what's going on?

DAVE

Dave, I noticed you tried to login with your email address. Try using your username. :)

Thanks for your first image! You can see it on the homepage.

- Jon

We are complete agreement here. All of this information is factual information.

I'm not too worried about the source of information as long as it's not Beckett. They might be smaller now than before, but they are still completely owned by another company. I'm a company of 1 and don't have the resources to fight a legal battle even if I was on the right side of the law.

Then at the very least you can copy all of SCF's international and minor league listings. I entered almost all of that because those are two major blindspots in Beckett's database. In any case, Beckett's listings prior to 2006 are a mess to attempt to copy & paste. You end up with terrible information on cards with multiple players or complicated descriptions.

Dave, I noticed you tried to login with your email address. Try using your username. :)

Thanks for your first image! You can see it on the homepage.

- Jon

Well, that seems to be the power of "Password Manager". Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I have no idea what I'm doing but I really am computer savvy! :rolleyes:

DAVE