Opinions wanted.......which would you keep, and which would you get rid of.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tglg

MVP
5.00 star(s)
20 minutes away from Busch Stadium, home of the St
Been wanting a 54 Bowman Mantle. Didn't want to buy a fake, so I decide to purchase a low grade, but graded (and hopefully authentic). Took the plunge on one after losing on several, and wasn't sure if I would be happy with it. Next day, another one was listed, and I talked to the seller and struck a deal on it. Now that I have both in hand, and can put them side by side, I am conflicted.

So, if these were yours, and you could only keep one, which would you keep? Naturally, the SCG is a "higher" grade at a 1.5 vs a 1, so should be worth more. But really, when you are talking about 1s, I don't think it is a huge difference. I will say, the PSA card has a better picture and clarity. The creases stand out more in the scan than they do in person really. Not that the backs are super important, as we aren't looking at them everyday, but the back on the SGC card is much bolder than the PSA. So the pic on the front is better on the PSA, and the color on the back is better on the SGC.

What is other's thoughts. And yes, I am kinda excited to have these 2 cards, even if they are low grade. I subscribe to the theory of own the card, not the grade, I guess. Thanks, Tony.

OkbUX1Y.jpg
aO7BwPE.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things that bugs me in my PC is stains on the front of the card. So I would keep the PSA.

Scan of the backs has been added. I don't think it shows as much in the scan, but the back of the SGC card is way bolder and "sharper" in my opinion.

As much as I do like looking at the pair together, I just don't think I need to keep both. I can use the funds to pursue something else unique to my collection. But gotta say, it is cool looking at both together and thinking they are mine, even if they are low grade. Can you tell I am a little giddy?

And based on the opinions above, sounds like you all would keep the PSA. That was the first one I purchased, but then started to wonder about all the creasing. But in hand, it doesn't look as bad.

Last edited:
I would echo the sentiment above regarding tape marks, much easier for me to see a crease in a vintage card than the tape marks.

Congrats on acquiring both cards - would be tough to part with either one if it was me!

I have thought about keeping both, but I was talking with a guy that has a Willie Mays 1953 Topps PSA 1, and could use the money to help snag that card. I would love to eventually get a 1953 Topps Mantle, but that is a bit steep for me right now.
I would echo the sentiment above regarding tape marks, much easier for me to see a crease in a vintage card than the tape marks.

Congrats on acquiring both cards - would be tough to part with either one if it was me!

In my humble opinion, the SGC card has much nicer corners, it's something I am particularly aware of in cards. I think the stains are tolerable compared to the multiple creases in the PSA card. The back of the SGC card only amplifies those points.... I really like looking at that '54 Bowman set. ~Rooster.

Upon further review............I'll change my original call and go with the SGC one. The stains and the heavy creases cancel each other out and I'll give the PSA one the edge on brightness but the back on the SGC one is far nicer. So giving the PSA a slight edge on the front and the SGC a clear edge on the back, I'll have to choose the SGC.