Paypal Gift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I can just keep saying the same thing over and over, and in your reply you can just keep proving my point.

You feel that because the Ebay/Paypal combo is the best, and because its the combo YOU choose to use, that it should work/cost exactly the way you want it to.

I'll say it again. ITS NOT A MONOPOLY. The market is not cornered. There are several sites/payment option combos out there. Just because the one you want to use, the one that gives you the best chance to maximize your profits, costs more, (hm, go figure?), you feel like you should get to complain about the fees.

Makes no sense to me.

Done with this.

Evidently you, as with most people, don't understand what a monopoly is and how they operate to squeeze out any competition. Looked at in one light one could argue that they're just being good business people, giving better deals, and maximizing their profits. But in reality it's all about control !

In my auction description why can't I say I accept personal checks ?
Why can't I say I accept money orders ?
Why can't I say I accept cash ?
Why can't I say I accept google payments ?
Why can't I say I accept bank transfers ?

It's exactly the same way microsoft tried to, and did, corner/control the market for many years. Like your arguement about ebay......it wasn't a true monopoly because there were other supposed competitors but in reality they controlled everything and made it impossible for anyone else to get a foothold. They're the robber barons of our day !!!!!

because when they made it an option , they inserted a new clause in the TOS :

* 4.2 Receiving Payments for Commercial Transactions and Personal Transactions.

1. Section 4.2 of the user agreement will read as follows:

"4.2 Receiving Payments for Commercial Transactions and Personal Transactions. a. Fees depend on whether you are making a commercial transaction or a personal transaction. A commercial transaction involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a "request money” using PayPal. A personal transaction involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

b. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a personal payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept personal payments.

as for my personal opinion of this topic .....i don't have a line in my sig about it , but i will NOT send a gift/payment owed (or any other type of fee-free) payment when buying and i prefer that those who buy from me don't send my payments that way either....

the fees are NOT outrageous at all.....actually , considering the huge target audience that can be reached via one simple inexpensive ebay listing , their fees are incredibly low and the pay pal fees are quite low as well....it's definitely cheaper for a buyer who now only has to pay for the item plus shipping compared to the old way (item + shipping + a cost of a MO + postage to mail the MO)....

as for clinton's comment about "several sites/options"....i actually thought he was referring to the fact that ebay does allow other payment processors other than pay pal....true , they did eliminate mailed-in payments , but that was to facilitate a (theoretically) 100% e-payment site with several different processors accepted ...

for those unaware , ebay still allows all of these :
PayPal
ProPay
Moneybookers
Paymate
Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
Payment upon pickup
Bill Me Later is a valid payment method as well (i'm assuming via one of the above methods)

WOW ! They "allow" all those ?
So why don't they allow me to accept a money order ? or a cash payment ? or maybe even personal check ? or why not google checkout ?

WOW ! They "allow" all those ?
So why don't they allow me to accept a money order ? or a cash payment ? or maybe even personal check ? or why not google checkout ?

yes , all those are "allowed"...others were considered and many were deemed unreliable (i personally know a few that were proposed as great alternatives that turned into disasters - storm pay and e-gold spring to mind and their track records played a big role in the decision to prohibit alert pay)

EASY reason for banning money orders , cash , and personal checks ....they do not allow for electronic tracking....hence the whole E-COMMERCE concept....

also , the banning of offline payment methods is step one in moving toward their being able to comply with new tax regulations beginning in 2011 : specifically in that all sellers who achieve certain levels of sales will have their sales reported directly to the irs by e-bay....

Last edited:
yes , all those are "allowed"...others were considered and many were deemed unreliable (i personally know a few that were proposed as great alternatives that turned into disasters - storm pay and e-gold spring to mind and their track records played a big role in the decision to prohibit alert pay)

EASY reason for banning money orders , cash , and personal checks ....they do not allow for electronic tracking....hence the whole E-COMMERCE concept....

also , the banning of offline payment methods is step one in moving toward their being able to comply with new tax regulations beginning in 2011 : specifically in that all sellers who achieve certain levels of sales will have their sales reported directly to the irs by e-bay....

Hmmm, don't allow for easy tracking. I don't even know how to reply !

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize it was all about the government knowing and controlling everything !!!

YOU scare the hell out of me !!!!!!!!!!

I want to pay someone for something and you don't want me to be able to do it with cash because cash is untraceable ?

WHY ?? Because you and your ideas disagree ?

SOMEBODY stop this stuff !

cash is untraceable (gov doesnt see you) so we stop it.......... make your own assesment