PC Help...GU cards really used by that player on the card? Or just chopped up bats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valediction, no memorabilia can be absolute then, IYO. Unless you rip it off the players back yourself, right?

mike, values diving? Really? Think it might be because of these very issues we are discussing? Any collector is going to devalue a swatch that isn't game WORN. I remember the first GU cards, I saw a Rey Ordonez sell for $400 at a show in NYC. Because it was hard to find at the time. Now GU cards are in every product, and they aren't game worn. It's a joke and of course, no one with any sense will pay for crap.

valediction, no memorabilia can be absolute then, IYO. Unless you rip it off the players back yourself, right?

mike, values diving? Really? Think it might be because of these very issues we are discussing? Any collector is going to devalue a swatch that isn't game WORN. I remember the first GU cards, I saw a Rey Ordonez sell for $400 at a show in NYC. Because it was hard to find at the time. Now GU cards are in every product, and they aren't game worn. It's a joke and of course, no one with any sense will pay for crap.

Exactly.
I tend to believe most are authentic, but yes. You can put whatever you want on the back of a card to give people a warm fuzzy feeling, but it all comes down to taking someone's word. Especially when talking something like GU cards, because you're dealing with such a miniscule portion of an item. Personally I don't buy much not because of the switch to 'event worn' or this is a relic', but just because they are so overdone. Like you pointed out, they used to be a HIT, now there are 1/box, 3/pack, 27/case with most #'ed 99 or less, and every collector and wannabe dealer has a shoebox or two full of them.

I think we have to take someones word for alot of stuff in life and just accept it. How do you know your milk is really pasteurized? LOL!
Personally, I think GU'd inserts are a great idea, if they are truly game used by the player(s) on the card. Remember the first nameplates inserts, with real lettering from jerseys? Awesome! But real memorabilia is expensive and the card companies are making economical choices when they 'fake' these types of cards. I think is is borderline fraudulent and the market is now reflecting that.
And don't get me started on autographs on stickers....

i have been collecting for almost 40 years and the longer i collect, the more i am convinced of two things. 1. the days of making money in this hobby are over and 2. you really should only collect what you love and collect for the love of collecting and for the love of the hobby. because as i am finding out as i am selling off my collection now, is. 9 out of 10 times you will NEVER get back what you paid for a card. you have a better chance of winning money on the state lotto than flipping cards and becoming a millionaire. in 40 years i have know/seen only one person become a millionaire in this business and that is burbank sportscards. they have become a million dollar company. but that is rare especially in this economy. so if you collect what you love and not collect to make money, they it will be a hobby, if you collect to make money or become "rich" you will be greatly be disappointed. we will never know if gu cards are real or not. so just collect for fun. we will never know if autographs we get are real or not, so just collect for fun. we will never know if vintage cards are real (there is an increasing amount of fakes out there) so just collect for fun. we can sit here all day long and question the authenticity of cards, autos and gu (and believe me, i agree with you all, i personally believe alot of the stuff out there is in fact fake) but then i realized i can spend all my time guessing, but then it takes away the fun of why we all did or should have got into this hobby to begin with. for our love of sports and sports cards. i only say this because i came in the hobby investing in EVERYTHING i saw in hope sof becoming the next big millionaire in sportscards, now that i am selling it all *except my pc's) i am seeing just how much of a loss im taking on unloading my collection. now that i am finally focused on collecting my pc items for fun, the hobby is much more satisfying. just my 2 cents worth

i have been collecting for almost 40 years and the longer i collect, the more i am convinced of two things. 1. the days of making money in this hobby are over and 2. you really should only collect what you love and collect for the love of collecting and for the love of the hobby. because as i am finding out as i am selling off my collection now, is. 9 out of 10 times you will NEVER get back what you paid for a card. you have a better chance of winning money on the state lotto than flipping cards and becoming a millionaire. in 40 years i have know/seen only one person become a millionaire in this business and that is burbank sportscards. they have become a million dollar company. but that is rare especially in this economy. so if you collect what you love and not collect to make money, they it will be a hobby, if you collect to make money or become "rich" you will be greatly be disappointed. we will never know if gu cards are real or not. so just collect for fun. we will never know if autographs we get are real or not, so just collect for fun. we will never know if vintage cards are real (there is an increasing amount of fakes out there) so just collect for fun. we can sit here all day long and question the authenticity of cards, autos and gu (and believe me, i agree with you all, i personally believe alot of the stuff out there is in fact fake) but then i realized i can spend all my time guessing, but then it takes away the fun of why we all did or should have got into this hobby to begin with. for our love of sports and sports cards. i only say this because i came in the hobby investing in EVERYTHING i saw in hope sof becoming the next big millionaire in sportscards, now that i am selling it all *except my pc's) i am seeing just how much of a loss im taking on unloading my collection. now that i am finally focused on collecting my pc items for fun, the hobby is much more satisfying. just my 2 cents worth

Great way to put things into perspective.