Player collectors question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dadofandrew

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Right now there are a huge amount of Ozzie cards being released, and I know I can't afford all of them, especially the Triple Threads. So player collectors, do you try and pick up the first copy you find on ebay or for trade/sale or do you wait for the hype of new product to die down before trying to find what you need?

Right now I am just picking up 1/1's I find or if there is a really good deal. I have noticed the prices of some the single game used/ auto's drop significally after the product has been out for awhile. I just hope I am able to find copies of some cards after the initial hype of the product has been played out.

So what do other player collectors do?

I get very tempted to jump on the first copy on eBay, but typically I wait until the hype has died down. Usually, the prices drop significally after the initial hype.

Tai

I pretty much do what you do. Although in 09 There has been very little to pick up of Maddux for New releases, so I havent even really bothered at all. In the past I tended to just buy whatever I could find that seemed like a deal or decent price regardless of what the current hot product was.

Did you see that Sick Ozzie some dude pulled on SCF?
It was one of those fold out Jumbo Patch and then 2 smaller patches on the opposite side, The Jumbo Patch was the head od the Cardinla, If you didnt see it LMK and I'll find you a link.

-Nick

Heres the link
http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=940684&highlight=sick+ozzie+smith

I was really excited when Ibanez first GU came out. I knew I was overpaying by buying the first copy available but it was worth it to me. Now just 2-3 weeks later the same stuff is going for about 1/3 of what it was. I would say to wait on high or non-numbered stuff but snatch up anything less than /25 while you can. I know that is my new rule with stuff coming out of my player in Topps Unique and Heritage High #s.

I usually wait a year or two to get the nice cards I want on eBay. This is usually the case. When the product first comes out, the prices are seriously inflated. But after a year or two, the price is pretty cheap.

I just ignore anything #'d less than 20 as I know it's going to be out of my cheapskate price range.

Like a few people said here, you gota grab anything that is low serial #'d because you don't know when it is going to appear again. Of course, not always possible.

I'm cheap still since I have so many needs but if I found something that was something I don't see often I might spend a little more on it then I would for something of equal value but for the most part I don't go chasing all the new stuff on ebay until prices drop some and the collectors with more money then me are done with their price wars

Tough call. Most of the time, those easier to find singles will reappear cheaper in the beginning. I have seen cards offered in quantity when a new release hits the streets, but dry up soon, rarely to be seen again.

I am fortunate to not have severe competition for my player most of the time. Right now, the competition is as light as I have ever seen, but it comes and goes. I always jump on low serial numbered and unique things when I can, but I also don't wait too long for the rest of it. Even in tougher times, I had my finger on the scene and was picking up some really low numbered stuff. However, if I had to choose between paying the mortgage or buying Garvey cards, I would let them all pass for later.

Right now there are a huge amount of Ozzie cards being released, and I know I can't afford all of them, especially the Triple Threads. So player collectors, do you try and pick up the first copy you find on ebay or for trade/sale or do you wait for the hype of new product to die down before trying to find what you need?

Right now I am just picking up 1/1's I find or if there is a really good deal. I have noticed the prices of some the single game used/ auto's drop significally after the product has been out for awhile. I just hope I am able to find copies of some cards after the initial hype of the product has been played out.

So what do other player collectors do?

Get the /3 cards too. Trust me, those come up about as often as the 1/1

If it's out of my price range and budget, I move on. Sure, I want it, but not bad enough to overpay. If I have it, great. If I don't, it's not the end of the world.

That being said, it's been difficult to find any new Tino cards for my collection. I've been picking up Teixeira here and there but now that the Yankees are in the World Series, prices have jumped in the past week or so. Once the series is over, hopefully the prices will be better.

Steph

When people are busting boxes and cases there is the material, as others say you've got to pick up the rarer stuff before it goes into a collection. Once the next things hit people dump what they don't personally want, and again it will get to a collection. It's tough to pry rare stuff from a collection.

I try to collect what I can of Zito.. usually the rare cards 1/1's etc.. I try to focus on Bowman brand and the others I will bid on them if they are auto's or GU'd but I dont go all out on the stuff only if I can get them cheap... which is not that hard with Zito cards! I think it comes down to preference...

Christopher

I wish I had the freedom of some of you guys...I really can't relate to the eBay and buying side of the hobby. Nolan Ryan is a tough, expensive guy to collect. I would say, if you have the money, and you want it bad enough, buy it. Even if you pay 2 or 3 times as much to get it early rather than later, a personal collection has no money value. 80-90% of my collection that i've obtained over the past 8-9 years was from trading. A Ryan card that I needed with a 25 cent BV was just as exciting and important to pick up as Ryan with a $100 BV to me. He has over 9,000 cards, and I only have 2100...CRAZY! The negative swing is that due to this terrible economy we live in, money for the hobby isn't what it used to be...Are there any networks looking for a "Dr. Phil spin-off? Ha ha.

Nice topic, I enjoyed reading the replies. I'm jealous of some of you guys (or gals) who enjoy buying. I'll be there one day!

The downside to collecting a superstar/HOFer is the heavy competition and cost, however those players will always bring in the "ooohhs" and "aaahhs" more than the common players. You need look no farther than the Benchies. Fantastic collections of "common" players are often overlooked for average collections of stars! Nothing personal against the collectors who entered, but I was disappointed with some of the voting results in certain rounds of the Player/Super Collector competitions.

A choice needs to be made when it comes to collecting a player. How far will oner go to obtain items and at what cost? I grew up in the 70s/80s and could have chosen Schmidt, Ryan, Seaver, Rose, Bench, Aaron, Mays and any other pricey player. I chose what I enjoyed the most and at the time it looked like Garvey would be a lock HOFer like the rest of them. In a way, for my collection, I am glad he never made it. However, it would be a sweet curtain call to see him get in someday.

The downside to collecting a superstar/HOFer is the heavy competition and cost, however those players will always bring in the "ooohhs" and "aaahhs" more than the common players. You need look no farther than the Benchies. Fantastic collections of "common" players are often overlooked for average collections of stars! Nothing personal against the collectors who entered, but I was disappointed with some of the voting results in certain rounds of the Player/Super Collector competitions.

A choice needs to be made when it comes to collecting a player. How far will oner go to obtain items and at what cost? I grew up in the 70s/80s and could have chosen Schmidt, Ryan, Seaver, Rose, Bench, Aaron, Mays and any other pricey player. I chose what I enjoyed the most and at the time it looked like Garvey would be a lock HOFer like the rest of them. In a way, for my collection, I am glad he never made it. However, it would be a sweet curtain call to see him get in someday.

I hope I wasn't one of the disappointments...lol. I know what you mean about "what" to collect. These card companies have gone nuts with how many versions of cards, inserts, #'d cards, etc. I used to collect 3 major sports, but as I got older I realized it was cheaper, and in my opinions, more feasable to pick one player and focus on him (just as some poeple choose sets, brands, etc.) to collect. It's impossible for me to get every Nolan Ryan card made...because he has several 1/1's and there thousands of Ryan collectors!