Price guide and possible help with data base

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charlesmastro

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Hi all,
Haven’t been in the forum in years. I’m a vintage collector and set builder and want to get back into the hobby. Can anyone suggest a decent way to find going rate of cards for the vintage? I saw a few free price guides online and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I also used to use free webs to make a list of my cards so I could keep track of what I had. Does anyone out there use any of the online databases they could recommend? Any advice is appreciated so I’m not going in blind

The best way to guage actual value is by checking completed ebay listings. Beckett is way behind on vintage and the free guides are even worse in my opinion.

Yeah, you really have to do your homework before trading vintage or hot cards these days as some of the price rises have been stunning to say the least. If you really have a key or hot card you are trading for (or away) you might want to ask about it in the Price Check Room as there are several members who go out of their way to help people here with values.

I AGREE WITH MY VENERABLE FELLOW MEMBERS!
PERSONALLY, I SUBSCRIBE TO BECKETT OPG FOR BASEBALL (UNSURE IF I WILL RENEW) AND IT'S FASTER THAN DOING THE E-BAY RESEARCH BUT PERHAPS NOT AS CURRENT, ESPECIALLY FOR VINTAGE.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
FRANK

Thanks for the help! I definitely check the completed listings a lot. When I was buying a lot about 10 years ago I usually went about 30-50% of book for most cards and a bit higher for some of the high end stuff. I haven’t bought in a while but the prices seem to have gone through the roof since then. Great for my collection but not so great for trying to finish some of my sets. Thanks for the advise!!

That’s good to know. Hopefully it passes in a bit... I’ll be a bit more careful with what I buy then and work on some of the fillers and commons for the sets I guess

Since the pandemic hit the prices have went absolutely bonkers!!
And basketball in particular went way up due to Kobe Bryant's passing and the Michael Jordan documentary. I have never seen price rises like that since the late 1980s.

Charles I was wondering what vintage sets you are working on? And are you from Rockland County or Rockland, NY in Sullivan County? I was born in the former and live fairly clse to the latter.

Small world. Rockland county so not too far from Sullivan. I’m a metal head too if your name suggests what it does.

Really limited on funds but I only need about 26 more for my 72 topps and have a decent start on 71. Also only need about 10-12 for the 63 fleer so mainly those for now. Also looking to increase my t205. But with prices what they are in looking probably to just finish the 72 and start working slowly on the 71 and maybe getting a few of the 63 fleer if I see a deal.
I do have some to trade but have to see what I even have. Also have a ton of 80’s and 90’s stuff but when I tried a while back couldn’t even give it away really.

Small world. Rockland county so not too far from Sullivan. I’m a metal head too if your name suggests what it does.

Really limited on funds but I only need about 26 more for my 72 topps and have a decent start on 71. Also only need about 10-12 for the 63 fleer so mainly those for now. Also looking to increase my t205. But with prices what they are in looking probably to just finish the 72 and start working slowly on the 71 and maybe getting a few of the 63 fleer if I see a deal.
I do have some to trade but have to see what I even have. Also have a ton of 80’s and 90’s stuff but when I tried a while back couldn’t even give it away really.
You are the second member on The Bench to correctly know what my username stands for. I discovered that subgenre about a decade ago and 90% of what I listen to falls under the Symphoic or Power Metal banner.

I was born in Nyack in Rockland County which was why I asked about that. My family moved from there when I was 1 year old.

If you want, feel free to send me your want list of 1972s. I am leisurely looking for upgrades to my brother's 1972 set so it would not be inconvenient to see if I come across any of the 26 cards you need..........high numbers I would assume.

BTW, I think when Boots was talking about "venerable members" he was talking about me! LMAO!!

You are the second member on The Bench to correctly know what my username stands for. I discovered that subgenre about a decade ago and 90% of what I listen to falls under the Symphoic or Power Metal banner.

I was born in Nyack in Rockland County which was why I asked about that. My family moved from there when I was 1 year old.

If you want, feel free to send me your want list of 1972s. I am leisurely looking for upgrades to my brother's 1972 set so it would not be inconvenient to see if I come across any of the 26 cards you need..........high numbers I would assume.

BTW, I think when Boots was talking about "venerable members" he was talking about me! LMAO!!
Good to meet a fellow headbanger. Grew up on all types of metal. Used to listen to sonata artica, angel dust, stratovarius, hammer fall, the main stream stuff too. Grew up in congers myself so we were neighbors.....

thanks for the help on the 72. I think this is what I need. Was looking for about exmt but not super picky unless it’s a key card. About half are high but a few lower ones still as well. A lot of lesser star card really Santo, blyleven, Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins. The only real notable card is the Garvey short print really.
271, 285, 392, 410, 423, 512,513, 515, 555, 556, 566, 590, 656, 666, 670, 686, 700, 704, 705, 710, 714, 724, 741, 757, 761, 762, 78
Any help is appreciated!

Great! I'll keep an eye out for those since I might be able to help especially with the lower numbers. Those high numbers are TOUGH and that Garvey is a real hard one to come across. If I find any of your needs, I'll get ahold of you.

My dad taught and coached at Nyack High School and we lived in Valley Cottage which I'm sure you are familiar with.

Sonata Artica seems to tour or be asociated with several of the bands I listen to. I know they toured with Nightwish some years ago and I think I remember touring with a few other bands I listen to heavily.

Last edited:
Defined familair with it and appreciate the help! I see the garvey’s on eBay. Just probably cost me a few bucks. Honestly it’s the commons and the mid tier cards I usually have problems with unless I want to pay way over price for them because who’s going to ship a .50 card. But any help is appreciated!