Prospect memory lane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peaceandlove

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I've been working on my old Bowman chrome autos for my sets recently and its really brought some memories back. I used to only build Bowman chrome sets because I liked the quality. I then started getting into Prospects because I was HEAVILY involved in fantasy leagues that used Prospects. I ended up stopping collecting in 2008 when I got divorced but building these old sets again reminded me of some old Prospect favorites like Josh Fields, Blake DeWitt, Homer Bailey, etc. Autos of Prospects and Rookies were so much cheaper back then too.

Any of you guys have some old Prospects you liked that never made it?

One of my favorite Phillies prospects who never made it big was in the late 90s, early 00s - Eric Valent! He was a prospect around the same time with Pat Burrell and I was hoping both could be key Phillies!

Scobes

One of my favorite Phillies prospects who never made it big was in the late 90s, early 00s - Eric Valent! He was a prospect around the same time with Pat Burrell and I was hoping both could be key Phillies!

Scobes
I think the 2 Phillies Prospects I remember the most from then was Phillipe aumont and Dominic brown. Greg golson was another from that time that didn't pan out.

Yankee fans can't forget Joba Chamberlain.
I remember that and Phillip Hughes. He was actually a cool guy. Used to be a member of the Beckett Boards before they changed everything. Did a trade with him once and didn't believe it was him. He took a photo with him holding my username and replied back. I was like omg...

I remember that and Phillip Hughes. He was actually a cool guy. Used to be a member of the Beckett Boards before they changed everything. Did a trade with him once and didn't believe it was him. He took a photo with him holding my username and replied back. I was like omg...
He has a cool YouTube channel called Phil’s pulls. He cracks some expensive stuff.

I remember going all in on Braves pitching prospects in the mid to late 2000s and they all failed. Guys like Jordan Schafer and Tommy Hanson ring a bell for this topic. Good stuff

Mets prospects that I collected that failed:

Paul Wilson,Jason Isringhausen,Bill Pulsipher,Rey Ordonez,Alex Ochoa,Jay Payton,Craig Brazell,Ike Davis

Isringhausen had a few solid years as a closer,Ordonez had a great glove but couldn't hit a lick,Payton had a few solid years as a hitter and Brazell had a couple big years playing in Japan. All in all their production didn't meet the hype they had when they were prospects.

I remember Nick Neugebauer was a highly touted pitching prospect for the Brewers and was supposed to be better than Ben Sheets. Michael Restovich, as he played in the same conference that I played high school ball in (Rochester Mayo, MN) and was supposed to be Kent Hrbek like. Mike Ryan who was a beast in the MLB05 video game, but never hit well in the show. A parade of Brewers prospects including Tony Gwynn Jr, Mat Gamel, Matt LaPorta to name a few

Mets prospects that I collected that failed:

Paul Wilson,Jason Isringhausen,Bill Pulsipher,Rey Ordonez,Alex Ochoa,Jay Payton,Craig Brazell,Ike Davis

Isringhausen had a few solid years as a closer,Ordonez had a great glove but couldn't hit a lick,Payton had a few solid years as a hitter and Brazell had a couple big years playing in Japan. All in all their production didn't meet the hype they had when they were prospects.
The big 3......I remember them. Izzy was a decent Cardinal for awhile. I remember lastings milledge was a pretty big deal too for the mets.

I remember going all in on Braves pitching prospects in the mid to late 2000s and they all failed. Guys like Jordan Schafer and Tommy Hanson ring a bell for this topic. Good stuff
I remember a guy making a ridiculous trade to get Julio Teheran cause he was sure he was the next big thing. He was wrong.....lol