Scotch tape

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I agree with a couple of the guys here... if I use tape to tape toploaders closed or tape them together, I use masking tape. Easy to get off, doesn't leave adhesive on the plastic, relatively cheap, etc.

As far as the messed up toploaders, if they are too sticky or have any damage I throw them out; otherwise I re-use them. If I want nice new toploaders I am going to go buy them. I don't expect to get them from you and you can't expect me to buy supplies for you either.

The exception is my eBay sales where I always use clean toploaders whether it's out of my personal stash or something I saved from a trade. Even though I'm not a dealer I feel like eBay sales call for a little more professionalism if that makes any sense. I'm probably just weird.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. I don't believe in wasting a toploader or bubble envelope just because it's cheap. In specific to the thread topic, if you can avoid using an excess of Scotchtape, why not? I challenge everybody to try my cut "junk mail" envelope trick and see that it works great. So you don't have to reference my other posts, just simply cut the very end (a small sliver) of a sealed envelope you get in the mail and slide the mail out. Then using a toploader as a guide cut the envelope, you can even get three made with one envelope. Even those that sandwich cards between a couple of toploaders, do this first and no more wasted sticky toploaders, not only that but you can cut or tear off the paper to open the package a lot easier that trying to seperate heavy taped (some people use that wide packing tape to excess) toploaders.

Something I have been doing with used toploaders is taking the tape residue off. Rubbing the toploader with a used fabric softener sheet will remove 99% of tape and label residue. Leaves the loaders as good as new. Doesn't cost anything extra either since the sheets have already been used and are headed for the trash anyway.

I remember posting this same subject a few years ago...I think I figured out that a lot of folks own stock in 3M...:D

Shep

Ive got a tote that I put my incoming snaptight boxes in and another I put my team bags, penny sleeves, and top loaders in (if they dont have too much scotch tape). Many times if Im sending several base cards I put them in a team bag and use reg. masking tape to pull the side and top tight. After taping that bag to a toploader on the front and back I taped the top bottom left and right sides with masking tape. Ive got no complaints and done this hundreds of times. The masking tape works fine as long as it doesnt set for months and can easily be removed. I was going to go with painters tape but it is way too high and reg. masking tape works just as well and I get to reuse 80% of my toploaders.

Shawn

I've never made a trade like this.......
receiving:card in new top loader
and
sending:card in new top loader
Recycle the old ones(mailers too)when possible.
If you fold the end(s)of tape,it comes off pretty easy.
Have to get some of that "goof off".
Have some that should clean up just fine.
Ken

Last edited:
I do reuse top loaders with scotch tape, but every so ofter I throw them away, they are so mucked up, they are done.

I buy a roll of thin painters tape (the blue stuff). It works well and comes off easily. If eveyone used this, the scotch tape effect would not exist.

Before someone says it cost more, a roll last me months, so all things relative.

Todd

Why do members use too much scotch tape on the top loaders!! I reuse these the top loaders and theres way to much tape being used! I prefer rubber bands ( from my newpaper or I buy a bag of them at the dollar store)! Best regards, David

Last edited:
I remember posting this same subject a few years ago...I think I figured out that a lot of folks own stock in 3M...:D

Shep

LOL! I do for sure. I always use a small piece of clear packaging tape to seal the toploader, but I always fold a small portion of it so that it peels off easier.

I use painters tape as well, it does not leave nay residue and it comes off real easy I can't stand scotch tape

I always use Scotch tape and have had no complaints. But, I do fold over the end, making a little "tab" that my trading partner can use to easily peel off the tape, leaving little to no residue.

I use rubber bands or other methods to stay away from the tape. The tape is not making contact with the top loads of protectors I send the cards in.

Tankp

:eek:

In my experience, rubber bands and cards are NEVER a good combination, no matter how well protected you think they are in the top loaders.

Tal

I always use Scotch tape and have had no complaints. But, I do fold over the end, making a little "tab" that my trading partner can use to easily peel off the tape, leaving little to no residue.

I also do this. A little tab on the scotch tape makes it really easy to peel off. I recycle as many things as possible when trading, bubble mailers, top loaders, team bags, penny sleeves. Heck, if you think about it, we're all recycling our doubles that we trade away!

Thanks everyone for keeping this an interesting and clean thread.

I hate tape on regular sized toploaders simply because it's hard to get off and I have to use a razor or scissor to cut it and if I slip I can sometimes damage the top of a card.. I've done this once before.. Just go buy graded team bags which come in packs of 100 for around 2.00 a pack.. They fit like 20-30 cards and I've never had a problem..

Call me crazy but every time I use Scotch tape (which I do) I think about sending out my fingerprints,..

I reuse the toploaders for mailing,..I use new ones for my PC,but I have no problem changing my ways for a trade if the person just asks that I don't use tape,..

Clint

Last edited:
If you want to tape the toploaders of the cards anybody sends me through trades go ahead. I have more important things to worry about than tape. I am not buying painters tape, constructionmens tape, welders tape or any other kind of tape or other crazy ideas people come up with. I have about 1000 top loaders laying around and enough bubble mailers to mail all the cards on ebay 10 times over.

painters tape is much more expensive than scotch tape... thats why I use scotch tape... and when I send trades, I used recycled toploaders anyways... you will find the more you trade, the more "junk" toploaders and cases you accumulate so instead of throwing them out, I recycle them by using them again, thus saving money and the Earth... I honestly don't see what the big deal is with using tape... as long as you tape it shut well enough so the card doesn't slide into the tape (which I combat sometimes by putting the card upside down in the soft sleeve)

Masking tape is basically the same as painters tape and is cheap.

Something I have been doing with used toploaders is taking the tape residue off. Rubbing the toploader with a used fabric softener sheet will remove 99% of tape and label residue. Leaves the loaders as good as new. Doesn't cost anything extra either since the sheets have already been used and are headed for the trash anyway.
Going to try that.First time I've heard of it.
Ken

I have seen a few members use this method and it's much better than warping scotch tape all around the top loader! Best regards, David