Seeing Doubles - identical #1/1s!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaderock

Prospect
From time to time, I get random people that contact me about Mark Brunell cards they have. Most times I have what they are offering. In the rare occasions that I actually need/want the card, it's usually offered to me at "out of their minds" requests such as "need an Adrian Peterson SPA Gold Auto/Patch," "PSA or BGS Gem Mint Graded Joe Montana RC" or "looking for a HDTV"! Once all those disappointing and greedy inquiries are done with, I do get a legit sane person every blue moon. This story is one of them!

A guy from Minnesota emailed me about a "1998 Collector's Edge Odyssey Single Edge #1/1 card." He said it was from a wax box that he bought from the now defunct Shinders chain back in 1999-2000. I was ecstatic because I already own two of the three Mark Brunell #1/1s from this set. As always in my correspondence, I ask for front and back scans/pictures of the offered card.
Here's the scan: 1998 Collector's Edge Single Edge Quarter 1 of 3 #64 (#1/1)
singleedge64.jpgbacksingle.jpg

I noted to myself, "That's not the Single Edge Quarter 3 of 3 I need!?! Don't I have that already?!?" Immediately, I made a special trip to the offsite bunker and searched thru the boxes and boxes of cards I had. Voila...I DO have that card.

Regardless, after informing him that the card wasn't a true #1/1, we still discussed a trade and came to an agreement. But like most who contact me, he hadn't collected for years and had never sent any cards in the mail before. With my history of bad luck with poor packaging by sellers and traders, I sent him his cards (Main card was an Adirian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson and Terrell Owens Triple Threads Jersey #/9) and a care package that included a prepaid return bubble mailer to me along all the supplies with step by step packing instructions. Within a week, the trade was completed...wow a smooth problem free transaction!!! A rarity!!!

Here are the two IDENTICAL #1/1 cards together.
bigf.jpg
bigb.jpg

It is the 1st Collector's Edge double #1/1 I've encountered (not counting printing plate many of which I have multiples plates of the same color). Over the past years, I've seen various Single Edge "proofs", that is cards in various stages of completeness, but none that are 100% complete.

Although you are seeing double #1/1s of the same card, it's not the 1st of it's kind in my collection. Previously, in 2006 I completed these double/triple #1/1 sets: See Cardboard Story #8 http://www.freewebs.com/markbrunell/archiv...oardstories.htm

Both from 1998 Score Showcase One of One (#1/1) #PP46 and #PP144!

dob.jpg
trip.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and reading my story! Much appreciated!

That 1/1 on the left's stamp looks kind of odd. Almost as if the font on the left side of the dash (/) is larger than the font on the right side of the dash.

Very killer collection!!!

That 1/1 on the left's stamp looks kind of odd. Almost as if the font on the left side of the dash (/) is larger than the font on the right side of the dash.

Very killer collection!!!

I wonder if there was any other way to know if it's a true 1/1 without the stamp? Was there any version of these cards....where someone with a stamp could place the 1/1? Best regards, David

I wonder if there was any other way to know if it's a true 1/1 without the stamp? Was there any version of these cards....where someone with a stamp could place the 1/1? Best regards, David

The distinguishing aspects of the supposedly #1/1 card, is the Red Foil, the word "Single Edge" on the Right side, the starburst hologram border and the "1/1" in BLACK after the card # --- all these features were done ONLY for the #1/1 cards...without the gold foil "1/1" it would be considered a proof card.

Great pick up for you collection! A friend of mine had a similar find but not with a 1/1. He collects Posada uniform numbered serial cards to his Jersey. 20/20. 2004 Jorge Posada buyback certificate auto cards. These also had the little hologram stickers on back and he owns (2) 20/20 of these cards. He also has an email from the company acknowledging there mistake. These errors are out there and when a player collector adds these to their collection it is satisfying.

By the way, I still look out for your player and would never make you have to give up the house for it, lol.

i hate it when people think you will pay a mint for a card of someone you collect where if you where a regular person that wanted that card it wouldnt be a big deal at all....i truly hate greed