Selling for a relative, and I've already got stumped a few times!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Interesting info so far, the Gooden seemed out of place in the box I found it in so it really stood out. Here is a close up pic of it.

1697529963_photobucket_212799_.jpg

EDIT: I found a link on something that makes me think it is the pewter brand. http://www.baseball-cards.com/vinta...topps-dwight-gooden-rookie-pewter-bonus.shtml

Last edited:
Man I looked at the wrong image! I am also convinced that they are reprinted. They are on some kind of thin cardboard stock and have no markings on the back. Spahn, Mays, Mantle, Doby among the players that are in the stack. I pulled these out and have yet to find anything that looks like what I have or have idea what they are. :/ Here is an auction with the same image as the Mantle.

>>>I'm no expert on Exhibits but tread carefully- some of those things have real value, and I'm not sure ANYONE can judge whether what you have is real or reprints from one image. Keep in mind these were not made from cardstock- they were dispensed in vending machines one at a time (various types like fortune tellers, arcade games, etc.). Some have markings, some don't. Defer to an expert, or check the Big Book to see if they have a checklist of some sorts.
http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/interestingexhibitcards

Quote:
I could be wrong, but isn't one of those sheets an 1982? Looks like it's the one without the Ripkens. If it's an 82, I'd be interested.
It looks like you are right there. I pulled it out and there is no Ripken on the 82. I do see some damage to the left side and the bottom, but the right looks good overall and no damage to the top.

What type of damage are we talking about? Bends, folds, tears? How extensive? LMK

I have not handled any of the Pewter minis except Garvey. It is stamped on the back with a word, I want to say Sterling, but I can't remember now.

I have seen copies of these where it looked like people may have buffed out original colors to make them look silver.

Yeah, that's probably more likely than the silver.

What type of damage are we talking about? Bends, folds, tears? How extensive? LMK
I only see one bend mark along the right side that goes through the Frank Tanana card. The rest of the damages are not effecting any of the cards and could be covered up in the right frame. There are no folds unless you include the bend it has from being stored as rolled up like a tube (which is how I'd have to mail it to you anyways, so its not a surprise). There are at least a dozen small tears, with only a few that are over 1/2" in length. I can take close ups of the spots to make sure you can see them.

I think what I need to do is start documenting all the materials on Excell sheets in order to catch everything. (I just hope it doesn't take me too long). If ya want stuff put on hold until I get a complete list just let me know (I will give ya first shot at the 82 sheet Boomer). I plan to price it fair, but also price it to go so reasonable offers will be accepted!

I only see one bend mark along the right side that goes through the Frank Tanana card. The rest of the damages are not effecting any of the cards and could be covered up in the right frame. There are no folds unless you include the bend it has from being stored as rolled up like a tube (which is how I'd have to mail it to you anyways, so its not a surprise). There are at least a dozen small tears, with only a few that are over 1/2" in length. I can take close ups of the spots to make sure you can see them.

I think what I need to do is start documenting all the materials on Excell sheets in order to catch everything. (I just hope it doesn't take me too long). If ya want stuff put on hold until I get a complete list just let me know (I will give ya first shot at the 82 sheet Boomer). I plan to price it fair, but also price it to go so reasonable offers will be accepted!

To be honest, it sounds too damaged for my tastes. I'll still look at images if you want to do them, but from the sound of it, that much damage is going to severely effect the price I offer- these things are made to be framed up, and the frame isn't supposed to cover the color bars, thats what makes them legit. When you get everything sorted out, LMK what you think you need for it via PM, and we'll go from there.

I'm looking into the Exhibit cards and they could very well be the real deal. My relative remembered the story behind them, and it would date them to the 'authentic time period' for the cards. Any experts out there that could tell me what to look for?

Also the non-junk will be listed in the trade/sale forum by Monday. I'm still trying to find prices on a few more things before listing everything. Most of the stuff I plan on putting in a garage sale in order to maximize the dollar by not eating it on shipping costs.

I have a bunch of Exhibits,but not really an expert.I think the reprints had
a greenish color back.The originals were more of a brownish cardboard looking back.Some of the reprints were on a thinner stock.There is a site
that has alot of info on them.If I can find it I'll let you know.

I looked at the link BoomerSooner had above and it helped a little. I don't see any greenish look to the backs, but I don't know how thick the stock is suppose to be in order to know the difference. :p

I looked in the yearly almanac and they have these listed. It also tells which ones were reprinted and which were not. Since most were NOT reprinted, I think it's safe to say that they are all real. Most are commons, but there are a few in the stack worth something. I'm thinking the best way is to sell them all as a lot except for the few big dollar ones. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a bunch of Exhibits,but not really an expert.I think the reprints had
a greenish color back.The originals were more of a brownish cardboard looking back.Some of the reprints were on a thinner stock.There is a site
that has alot of info on them.If I can find it I'll let you know.

I meant grayish not greenish.Also some have backs that are on a white stock.

In two weeks I get paid again. Interested in pics 3, 8, and a set of 87 Topps and 91 Topps. Believe it or not, the overproduction years are my thing, seeing as how I just started collecting again for the first time since the strike. Send me a PM.

In two weeks I get paid again. Interested in pics 3, 8, and a set of 87 Topps and 91 Topps. Believe it or not, the overproduction years are my thing, seeing as how I just started collecting again for the first time since the strike. Send me a PM.
Most of that stuff is the 'garage sale' junk that I was talking about a few posts ago.:p Do you come down from Pellston at all on weekends or something? It would really be a lot easier than trying to mail everything and I was only looking for $5-$10 on most of the stuff you were talking about...

Actually, how far are you from Pontiac or Fenton? I am coming down there the second week of August for orientation with GM, then moving down by September. PM me.

Most of that stuff is the 'garage sale' junk that I was talking about a few posts ago.:p Do you come down from Pellston at all on weekends or something? It would really be a lot easier than trying to mail everything and I was only looking for $5-$10 on most of the stuff you were talking about...

Actually, how far are you from Pontiac or Fenton? I am coming down there the second week of August for orientation with GM, then moving down by September. PM me.
PM coming in a bit.

im still interested in the exhibits by the way
I kind of forgot about that, I have a list typed up that I'll be sending your way in a little bit. EDIT: tried sending you a PM and your inbox is full. Clear some space and I'll send it your way.

Last edited: