So...You want to be a player Super Collector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

i just want to know what it really takes to be a "sc" i posted my Trot Nixon collection i have over 200 base cards (21%) and 31 different gu/autos 39 if ount doubles i have a 8x10 photo autographed and a baseball autographed i just got a bobble head i have 3 more autos coming soon including a 1/1 (my first for him) i thought that having that many cards of him would get me the title as trot nixon super collector since i didnt see others with that much stuff of his. Im from maine and its hard finding his cards but this site has helped alot in 1 year and 1 month i went from 3 base cards to what i have now with help with card shops and shows

Very true, but I still think it has something to do with how much you are capable of spending. I understand where you are coming from on the base cards, but I think a lot of this is based on game used/autos/and other higher dollar items that the person may have of that player.

Ebay costs money, trades cost money, buying packs costs money, having trade bait costs money! It is only my opinion, but I think you are eliminating some truly great player collectors only because they don't have the financial resources to be considered a "Super Collector".

It's true that this hobby costs money but here is an example for you. I collect ***** League cards from any player. So far that list is up to 108 players of which I have acquired 395 cards--I have only bought 50 of those cards(2 sets from Ebay). All the rest came from trades or freebies people sent out.

I also think that people are passing judgement a bit early. Only three SC's have been announced so far. I'm kind of spreading out the announcements due to my time and the voting process. I think you'll see a decent range of collections that make it to SC.

Plus, it's not like we can run obtain financial records to see what people can or can't opend on cards:)

i just want to know what it really takes to be a "sc" i posted my Trot Nixon collection i have over 200 base cards (21%) and 31 different gu/autos 39 if ount doubles i have a 8x10 photo autographed and a baseball autographed i just got a bobble head i have 3 more autos coming soon including a 1/1 (my first for him) i thought that having that many cards of him would get me the title as trot nixon super collector since i didnt see others with that much stuff of his. Im from maine and its hard finding his cards but this site has helped alot in 1 year and 1 month i went from 3 base cards to what i have now with help with card shops and shows

One thing is we don't compare your collection to other Nixon collector's, we judge each collection on it's own merits. If you'll look in the General Talk forum and read the posts for the three SC's you can see some highlights from their collections. You have a very good collection but you may see some differences between yours and theirs.

Although I will not qualify on this site because I havent done many trades(I've picked up the pace a little and have a few in the works) I consider myself a super collector and all I collect is cards. I believe you can be a super collector even if all you collect are cards. I recently won the player collectors contest on the beckett boards(21 and over) with this entry-auto's etc. Enjoy and I'll be entering as soon as I'm eligible.

Now that's impressive...

Matt

I think someone mentioned making the SuperCollectors stand out a little more from the current HOF bold status. What about changing the font color for the SC's? Make the SC members red, or blue or something. Just a thought.

I think someone mentioned making the SuperCollectors stand out a little more from the current HOF bold status. What about changing the font color for the SC's? Make the SC members red, or blue or something. Just a thought.

I agree. Just scrolling through the list of player collectors it is hard to see who is a super collector. Users who have all caps in their username look like supercollectors. Maybe a separate list at the end of the supercollectors and who they collect.

Now THAT'S a Super Collector. Thanks for sharing it mrmopar.
Dave
That is an exceptional collection. I am especially jealous of the 92 Elite Signature card, one I have wanted for a long time and have still not found at "my price". I have all of the other special Elite cards from that era (91-93) except Cal!

I assume you don't have a site to display those. Check this one out http://www.gracecollector.com/, as your collection would look superior displayed this way or in a similar fashion. I wish I had the technical "know how" to do one like it myself.

Kind of an off the wall question. If I submit a collection and it gets turned down is there any way to find out how close it came to qualifying? If so I might have a better idea of when to resubmit it rather than wasting everyone's time by resubmitting a collection that is way out of contention.

Kind of an off the wall question. If I submit a collection and it gets turned down is there any way to find out how close it came to qualifying? If so I might have a better idea of when to resubmit it rather than wasting everyone's time by resubmitting a collection that is way out of contention.

We are not using set standards for voting because there are so many variables in player collecting. What I would recommend to anyone who got turned down is to look at some of the collections that were accepted and compare. If you have a smaller percentage of total cards, then try and raise it some. If you do not have many GU, then try to add some more. Same things with autos, etc. Also, to anyone turning these applications in, make sure you have a wantlist or havelist. You will not be considered without one.

Whitehurst

I Have Every Whitehurst Card That Has Come Out So Far
Over 50 Diffrent Autos/game Used
Over 50 Diffrent Rookie Cards Includeing Paralels
Does That Count?

I Have Every Whitehurst Card That Has Come Out So Far
Over 50 Diffrent Autos/game Used
Over 50 Diffrent Rookie Cards Includeing Paralels
Does That Count?

From The first post in this Thread:
Meliah said:
Since this is a trade tool you need to have an up-to-date want or have list of the player, must have 20 completed trades and a 5.0 Trader Rating!

Suggestion for distinguishing the supercollectors... how about just adding the title above the avatar and below the name... example, mine would be:

ragtop12
H.O.F.
Barry Bonds Supercollector (or Barry Bonds SC) or somehting like that
Then my picture of the avatar

Just a suggestion.
Obed

We are not using set standards for voting because there are so many variables in player collecting. What I would recommend to anyone who got turned down is to look at some of the collections that were accepted and compare. If you have a smaller percentage of total cards, then try and raise it some. If you do not have many GU, then try to add some more. Same things with autos, etc. Also, to anyone turning these applications in, make sure you have a wantlist or havelist. You will not be considered without one.

Ok, sound advice. I am not sure I was clear in my question. Will we be able to get a vote percentage or count like in MLB HOF voting? If I missed by one vote and added 25 cards I might try again the next month. If I missed by all but one vote I would probably wait close to a year and try to significantly improve my numbers before resubmitting.

Suggestion for distinguishing the supercollectors... how about just adding the title above the avatar and below the name... example, mine would be:

ragtop12
H.O.F.
Barry Bonds Supercollector (or Barry Bonds SC) or somehting like that
Then my picture of the avatar

Just a suggestion.
Obed

It is a possibility. I need to figure out how to do it without adding additional overhead.

Mark

It is a possibility. I need to figure out how to do it without adding additional overhead.

Mark

OK, was just a thought. I will leave it up to you to figure out how to do it though, lol. I am just reteaching myself computer languages and I do not want to even think about how a site like this operates :) What ever happened to COBOL and BASIC, lol. Now I am trying to learn Java and more advance features in HTML, igh. And this is what I do when I am not trading cards on the Bench :p

This is just tossing out an idea, not knowing how much would be involved in making it happen OR if there would even be interest, but could an avatar of the subject player be made/used and if so, would people prefer that over a logo?

For example, Loyalty would now have an Avatar with Dawson's portrait on it. Ragtop would have Bonds, etc.

Unless that breaks licensing rules for using a players image, that might be a cool little way to seperate them from the pack.