Some people...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No way you should get a bad feedback for a freebie card...he must've really not wanted any extra inventory.

In terms of what to do with the junk cards...try crafts for kids. I got little ones and they love to glue things together, cut out shapes. Use some poster board (or if you don't want to spend any money) use any old cardboard and get crafty...the kids love it, the cards are kind of going to good use and at least they don't end up in a landfill. You never know, you may like the collage you get out of it and it will sell as abstract art on eBay!!!

+1. I always enjoy free cards.

On a different note, it pains me to hearing that people just throw cards away. Do something with them, anything is more productive then throwing them away.

agree 110% on BOTH points....

i have seen far too many people comment that they've burned , shredded , or simply thrown away tons of cards and frankly that makes me mad every time i see or hear it....just because a card doesn't feature my favorite player/team or isn't worth a fortune doesn't make it garbage....i have to admit that every time i sort cards , even if it's just a monster box of 88 topps or 90 fleer , i find myself turning quite a few over for a quick re-read....

as for those who do destroy or dispose of them , i have to ask , WHY ? i mean really ....

there's plenty that could be done with them :

sell them in bulk (i listed a single 5,000-count box of primarily off-grade commons in a local paper back in the mid 90's....got a call from a lady who lived about 15 miles away ...over the course of 15 years , she bought well over half a million from me in batches of 25k at a time....

sort them into team lots or set starter lots and sell or trade...even if you only got something like a common $8 GU for them , that's still more than you'll get by destroying them....ANYthing beats NOTHING...

still think that's too much effort ? at the very LEAST , donate them to SOMEONE SOMEWHERE...and ya know , it really doesn't matter whether your motive is to merely get rid of them , get a tax deduction , or provide enjoyment to people who may not be able afford to buy any cards for themselves....i can say with almost 100% certainty that for each and every card you feel is worthless , there is somebody out there that would love to have it and treasure it...

Last edited:
If enough people dump those 88 Donruss, they might become popular again some day!

as for those who do destroy or dispose of them , i have to ask , WHY ? i mean really ....

I suppose there is a good home for junk cards, but sometimes that is harder said than done. Some places may not take them and it becomes an effort to rid yourself of them.

I grabbed a couple free boxes from my local shop a few weeks back and sorted through them and probably pulled a couple thousand cards, but I had just as many left over. I thought about trying to get rid of them, but it just isn't worth the time/effort. These were mainly 1991-94 baseball. Lots of UD, Donruss, etc.

They went into the recycle can. Perhaps they will become your next TV dinner box!!

If I get frebbies, I just usually give them to friends. They dont love cards in general but a few images of their favorite players never hurt anyone.

I grabbed a couple free boxes from my local shop a few weeks back and sorted through them and probably pulled a couple thousand cards, but I had just as many left over. I thought about trying to get rid of them, but it just isn't worth the time/effort. These were mainly 1991-94 baseball. Lots of UD, Donruss, etc.

They went into the recycle can. Perhaps they will become your next TV dinner box!!

as much as i would love a few cheap meals , i'd still rather have even more 91-94 donruss and ud than i already own :)

agree 110% on BOTH points....

i have seen far too many people comment that they've burned , shredded , or simply thrown away tons of cards and frankly that makes me mad every time i see or hear it....just because a card doesn't feature my favorite player/team or isn't worth a fortune doesn't make it garbage....i have to admit that every time i sort cards , even if it's just a monster box of 88 topps or 90 fleer , i find myself turning quite a few over for a quick re-read....

there's plenty that could be done with them :

sell them in bulk (i listed a single 5,000-count box of primarily off-grade commons in a local paper back in the mid 90's....got a call from a lady who lived about 15 miles away ...over the course of 15 years , she bought well over half a million from me in batches of 25k at a time....

sort them into team lots or set starter lots and sell or trade...even if you only got something like a common $8 GU for them , that's still more than you'll get by destroying them....ANYthing beats NOTHING...

still think that's too much effort ? at the very LEAST , donate them to SOMEONE SOMEWHERE...and ya know , it really doesn't matter whether your motive is to merely get rid of them , get a tax deduction , or provide enjoyment to people who may not be able afford to buy any cards for themselves....i can say with almost 100% certainty that for each and every card you feel is worthless , there is somebody out there that would love to have it and treasure it...

To add to this, we're still finding variations of cards from the 80's/90's that we never knew existed and are turning out to be small diamonds sitting in common boxes.

isn't there something e-bay can do? I mean he left bad feedback for something he didn't buy from you. it had nothing to do with what he bought. People will complain about anything nowadays. Free is free.
just like on one site someone was complaining they knew someone who pulled a 1 of 1 auto patch. They got all fired up because the card didn't look like the one on the promo sheet. I mean really!

You know the saying about you can't please some people ANY of the time!!
I try to send freebies too , but I try to send something related to their city or home area team . Don't fret, You are doing GREAT And 99 % think so !!!!
Its a sad world that thinks FREE has strings attached !! Keep up the good work !!!!!!

Not sure if anyone else asked this question, but what did his other feedback look like??
Thanks,
Pete

Thanks all

mrmopar-I am not sure how hard it is to give cards to Goodwill....

Depends how far you live from Goodwill, and if Goodwill is taking them. I tried 2 Goodwills, a local clothes/household item donation place, 3 hospitals and 3 Elementary schools in the area and had 0 takers the last time I decided to make some space.

Depends how far you live from Goodwill, and if Goodwill is taking them. I tried 2 Goodwills, a local clothes/household item donation place, 3 hospitals and 3 Elementary schools in the area and had 0 takers the last time I decided to make some space.

well , if you ever visit/vacation in the south , you can always bring em with you and drop em off here along your way to your destination - i can always put them to good use as long as they are intact with no icky/sticky/goopy/gooey stuff on em - i promise i'd never refuse em :D

I don't like the idea of throwing cards out. The only time I threw cards out is when they had really bad roller marks and they were too old to get replaced.

Shame on me! :(

As I mentioned before. Hold onto those cards you don't want and give them out with candy this up coming Holloween. Team Bags are a couple bucks for 100, then fill them up with 30 to 50 cards each and watch the eyes get big. My wife and I have done this for the past three years. The cards that didn't get handed out go back in a box and I put them in the garage for the following year. It's a better alternative to throwing them away.

Just my opinion,
Billy

As I mentioned before. Hold onto those cards you don't want and give them out with candy this up coming Holloween. Team Bags are a couple bucks for 100, then fill them up with 30 to 50 cards each and watch the eyes get big. My wife and I have done this for the past three years. The cards that didn't get handed out go back in a box and I put them in the garage for the following year. It's a better alternative to throwing them away.

Just my opinion,
Billy

Do you actually get trick or treaters? If so, I agree with the idea. I've been in my apartment building 16 years and my record was my third year I had maybe 12 kids, last 3 years I've had 2, 4, and 0 kids show up. I've given the idea some thought, but even the year I volunteered to hand out candy at my sisters so they could take their three munchkins out as a family they had less than 15 kids. Even at 50 cards a bag I'd get rid of the equivalent of a 1988 Topps set a year or less.

We get about 30 to 50 kids, then we get a few more that switch costumes and try for some more, but I still give them the cards since they obviously want them more than myself. Apartments might be a little harder than houses because of the layout and stairs they have to climb, but either way it's a good gesture.

Another idea if you have any military bases in your area is donate them to the child care facility and see if they can use them. They have after school programs for all ages and if they are prepackaged, I don't see a problem with them taking them.

Last edited: