Some Sellers Are Just Ridiculous!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basebal1fan

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
So, I buy a Fukudome jersey on ebay for about $1.75 (.75 shipping). The seller ships PWE, no case, just the card, paper saying what the card is, and envelope. Now, anyone knows that when you ship a jersey card PWE there's about a 90% chance it will get creased around the jersey, and that % only goes up when the seller doesn't even use a penny sleeve! The response is just as ridiculous as the shipping method, and he's really starting to make me mad. I told him to send me a SASE and I'll send the card back to him. He insists on the "no card, no refund" approach, and it's really starting to annoy me. I have had many cases where I paid a few bucks for the card, it arrived damaged, and the seller just refunded my money, and that was that. But this guy insists on me shipping the card back to him (he pays S&H). I'm telling him that I'll do it but it would cost $1.25 to ship (the right way) and it just wouldn't be worth it for him to do that as he's always losing money for selling the card for cheaper than the pack price, giving me a refund, and now paying me to ship it back to him. Am I being the ridiculous one, or should the seller just give me the refund? It's not that I have a problem with sending it back, because I definitely don't. It's that the card is practically worthless and it's not worth the headache of doing so. It's already a bigger headache than a $1.75 jersey is worth. Here's the emails back and forth:

To him from me:

Hi, I got the card today and it was not what I expected. There were 2 big and 2 small creases around the jersey. I paid 75 cents for it to be shipped adequately, so the card did not arrive damaged. But, the card was not even in a CASE, let alone a bubble mailer or cardboard. I know shipping in a bubble mailer is more expensive, and therefore I would have been fine with simply cardboard around the card to protect it. The card was without a penny sleeve, or any kind of protection for that matter. If it had been messed up, and shipped properly, then it would be the PO's fault, but since you didn't even bother to protect the card, the blame can only fall on your shoulders. Please let me know what you will do to correct the problem; this is unacceptable. Thank you.

His response:

I am very sorry that you are not pleased with the card you recieved, I shipped out three other jersey cards in the exact same manner, one of which went all the way to Canada with no problem and they where quite satisfied with what they recieved. [that's really good luck, not because he shipped them properly] However since you are not pleased, return the card and I will issue a full refund as soon as I recieve the card through the mail. I will also include the cost of shipping the card back to me in your refund. However, no card no refund. Sorry again for the trouble.

My response:

Then you really have amazing luck that only one was messed up
in the mail. When you ship a card without a case, it's only
inevitable that it will get damaged. When I ship back to you, I
will use a case and bubble mailer, which will cost about $1
postage, plus about 25 cents for the mailer, ect. If you want to
spend $1.25 for me to ship a $1.75 card back to you, then I will
do it. But you're only losing more money and that just doesn't
make economical sense. You're not going to be able to sell the
card again, it's too badly damaged, and I will simply just toss it
or give it away or something. It's not like I'm going to profit off
of it or anything like that. If you feel strongly about paying
$1.25 for a creased card worth $1.75 when mint, then go for it.
But it's not worth the trip to the PO, my time, or yours.

His response:

I am only trying to resolve the problem, it does not matter to me if it cost me a little extra to please a dis satisfied custumer. The card is worth $4.00 low Beckett & $10.00 high Beckett this month not $1.75. Either send it back and get the refund plus the shipping or get nothing. No card, no REFUND!

My response:

Please do not tell it's worth $10 based on Beckett values. If you
can SELL it for $10, then it would be worth $10, but as far as I
know, you sold it to me for $1.75. Those are top retail values,
definitely not the price you would get on ebay. When you sell
the card for $10, I would really like to know. Also, now that the
card is damaged, is can't be priced as "mint," as I'm sure those
prices refer to. This card is really not worth the time or money to
send it back. It's already a bigger headache than the card's
worth. I really wouldn't want to tarnish your perfect feedback
over a cheap card like this; it just wouldn't be
worth it. If you send me a SASE (self addressed stamped
envelope), I'll send it back.

I'd say send it back. He'll pay for the shipping, and you get your money back. The more people who return cards at his expense, the quicker (hopefully) he'll learn.

I wouldn't fight it. I'd just send it back, get your cash back, and buy another card just like it.

John

I'd say send it back. He'll pay for the shipping, and you get your money back. The more people who return cards at his expense, the quicker (hopefully) he'll learn.

I wouldn't fight it. I'd just send it back, get your cash back, and buy another card just like it.

John

Yeah, I agree with john.

Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do at this point unless the seller drastically changes his approach in his next response. Yeah you're right, he'll learn if he loses money on each item he sells.

John

I would send it back, pay the 1.25 but still leave a negative feedback saying you were refunded yad our money but still had to pay.
thanks,
sam

P.S he was probably p.o'ed it only went for a buck 75

Yeah, it's always tough when a card sells below projected value. I just sold a Sweet Spot helmet auto for $1.05 DLVD, but still had to pay that much to ship it in a bubble mailer. It's the seller's responsibility to ship the card properly no matter when the cost of the card may be.

I would send it back, pay the 1.25 but still leave a negative feedback saying you were refunded yad our money but still had to pay.
thanks,
sam

P.S he was probably p.o'ed it only went for a buck 75

A lot of blah blah blah on your end after he said he would refund you whatever you paid for shipping. Just ship it(PWE makes sense, why pay for the bubble mailer and top loader to ship a damaged card???) and he will refund the amount. He is doing what should be done to resolve the problem but for some reason you dont want to pay $1.25 to send it back even though he clearly said he will refund you no matter what the price to send it back to him! I agree he shipped it poorly and I would never buy from him again. I think you are making the right move and not leaving him a negative since he is resolving the problem(dont listen to cardking). Some sellers dont even respond.

Well, as unpopular as my opinion may be, I think you are wrong to expect a refund without sending the card back. It doesn't matter how much the card cost, if somebody wanted a refund I would expect the card to be returned.

Well, as unpopular as my opinion may be, I think you are wrong to expect a refund without sending the card back. It doesn't matter how much the card cost, if somebody wanted a refund I would expect the card to be returned.

I agree. Partial refunds are for scammers! I do the same thing, no card, no refund. Damaged or not.

Thanks for your input everyone! Yeah, that's what's going to happen regarding the transaction. I'll send it back and get the refund, simple as that. I'm making it more complicated than it has to be. Thanks again for your suggestions.

A lot of blah blah blah on your end after he said he would refund you whatever you paid for shipping. Just ship it(PWE makes sense, why pay for the bubble mailer and top loader to ship a damaged card???) and he will refund the amount. He is doing what should be done to resolve the problem but for some reason you dont want to pay $1.25 to send it back even though he clearly said he will refund you no matter what the price to send it back to him! I agree he shipped it poorly and I would never buy from him again. I think you are making the right move and not leaving him a negative since he is resolving the problem(dont listen to cardking). Some sellers dont even respond.

I agree 100%. Lot of blah blah blah. You told him the problem and he offered a reasonable fair solution.

It's absolutely frustrating to not receive what you paid for but unless you're just trying to "teach him a thing or two" what's the big deal ? Even if he is the luckiest guy in the world ?

Personally, I'd do exactly what the seller told you to do and if he comes through on his end I'd leave him a glowing positive for resolving a problem without an arguement and leave all 5's on dsr's !

Seems more and more people are soooooooo quick to "pull the trigger" to make someone pay in some way for some perceived slight and ebay has fostered this trend by implying that all sellers must either be perfect in every way, and right from the get go, or be punished in some way.

We're ALL imperfect !

To maintain our humanity, if someone makes a mistake, CUT THEM A BREAK !

humm

I agree with the doghollerer. He was clearly trying to right any kind of problem he caused you and cover any expenses to you. If you were so unhappy with the card sending, it back to recieve a refund seems very fair. Even if the card is damaged, from his stand point he could trade it at 1/2 value or possibly even sell it for the same figure you paid. Noteing the condition. If someone complained about condition on any gu I traded or sold them I would ask for the card back at my expense and offer them another card in exchange or a refund if they were so upset. I dont feel like sending an additional card or a refund and not recieve the item back is very fair to him. (maybee this is why many people are avoiding selling on the bay these days.)

I agree with the doghollerer. He was clearly trying to right any kind of problem he caused you and cover any expenses to you. If you were so unhappy with the card sending, it back to recieve a refund seems very fair. Even if the card is damaged, from his stand point he could trade it at 1/2 value or possibly even sell it for the same figure you paid. Noteing the condition. If someone complained about condition on any gu I traded or sold them I would ask for the card back at my expense and offer them another card in exchange or a refund if they were so upset. I dont feel like sending an additional card or a refund and not recieve the item back is very fair to him. (maybee this is why many people are avoiding selling on the bay these days.)

I had a buyer who was unhappy with his card so I gave him a full refund AND let him keep the card. So what does he do ? Leaves me a neg and 1's on all my stars :eek:

Send it back

Top-load and PWE is cheap and he would have profitted from the shipping cost of .75.

So, I buy a Fukudome jersey on ebay for about $1.75 (.75 shipping). The seller ships PWE, no case, just the card, paper saying what the card is, and envelope. Now, anyone knows that when you ship a jersey card PWE there's about a 90% chance it will get creased around the jersey, and that % only goes up when the seller doesn't even use a penny sleeve! The response is just as ridiculous as the shipping method, and he's really starting to make me mad. I told him to send me a SASE and I'll send the card back to him. He insists on the "no card, no refund" approach, and it's really starting to annoy me. I have had many cases where I paid a few bucks for the card, it arrived damaged, and the seller just refunded my money, and that was that. But this guy insists on me shipping the card back to him (he pays S&H). I'm telling him that I'll do it but it would cost $1.25 to ship (the right way) and it just wouldn't be worth it for him to do that as he's always losing money for selling the card for cheaper than the pack price, giving me a refund, and now paying me to ship it back to him. Am I being the ridiculous one, or should the seller just give me the refund? It's not that I have a problem with sending it back, because I definitely don't. It's that the card is practically worthless and it's not worth the headache of doing so. It's already a bigger headache than a $1.75 jersey is worth. Here's the emails back and forth:

To him from me:

Hi, I got the card today and it was not what I expected. There were 2 big and 2 small creases around the jersey. I paid 75 cents for it to be shipped adequately, so the card did not arrive damaged. But, the card was not even in a CASE, let alone a bubble mailer or cardboard. I know shipping in a bubble mailer is more expensive, and therefore I would have been fine with simply cardboard around the card to protect it. The card was without a penny sleeve, or any kind of protection for that matter. If it had been messed up, and shipped properly, then it would be the PO's fault, but since you didn't even bother to protect the card, the blame can only fall on your shoulders. Please let me know what you will do to correct the problem; this is unacceptable. Thank you.

His response:

I am very sorry that you are not pleased with the card you recieved, I shipped out three other jersey cards in the exact same manner, one of which went all the way to Canada with no problem and they where quite satisfied with what they recieved. [that's really good luck, not because he shipped them properly] However since you are not pleased, return the card and I will issue a full refund as soon as I recieve the card through the mail. I will also include the cost of shipping the card back to me in your refund. However, no card no refund. Sorry again for the trouble.

My response:

Then you really have amazing luck that only one was messed up
in the mail. When you ship a card without a case, it's only
inevitable that it will get damaged. When I ship back to you, I
will use a case and bubble mailer, which will cost about $1
postage, plus about 25 cents for the mailer, ect. If you want to
spend $1.25 for me to ship a $1.75 card back to you, then I will
do it. But you're only losing more money and that just doesn't
make economical sense. You're not going to be able to sell the
card again, it's too badly damaged, and I will simply just toss it
or give it away or something. It's not like I'm going to profit off
of it or anything like that. If you feel strongly about paying
$1.25 for a creased card worth $1.75 when mint, then go for it.
But it's not worth the trip to the PO, my time, or yours.

His response:

I am only trying to resolve the problem, it does not matter to me if it cost me a little extra to please a dis satisfied custumer. The card is worth $4.00 low Beckett & $10.00 high Beckett this month not $1.75. Either send it back and get the refund plus the shipping or get nothing. No card, no REFUND!

My response:

Please do not tell it's worth $10 based on Beckett values. If you
can SELL it for $10, then it would be worth $10, but as far as I
know, you sold it to me for $1.75. Those are top retail values,
definitely not the price you would get on ebay. When you sell
the card for $10, I would really like to know. Also, now that the
card is damaged, is can't be priced as "mint," as I'm sure those
prices refer to. This card is really not worth the time or money to
send it back. It's already a bigger headache than the card's
worth. I really wouldn't want to tarnish your perfect feedback
over a cheap card like this; it just wouldn't be
worth it. If you send me a SASE (self addressed stamped
envelope), I'll send it back.

I'd be happy with a seller like that. Like others have said, most don't respond at all, but this guy was trying to make it right. I agree, his shipping method leaves a lot to be desired, but at least he wanted to make it right. Take what you got and be glad he even wrote back the first time.

my 2 cents, for what they're worth...Probably about a penny :)

I agree that he is trying to resolve the issue, but a positive with 5 stars is not what I would give him! Someone who ships a GU via PWE deserves a neutral for improper shipping and causing you the hassle, the neutral is being generous for him trying to resolve the issue. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing, don't reward someone for cutting corners.