SSPC question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timfsu2k

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
What is the difference between the 1975 and the 1976 SSPC Nolan Ryan cards??

Beckett lists the 1975 card as #10 and the 1976 card as #187. But look at this auction:

PSA SSPC

Then there is this auction. Seems to be the same card, but I guess PSA and Beckett disagree on what year it is:

BVG SSPC

I'd have to look, but I believe the 75 SSPC set was larger than standard size. It's possible one of the "expert" grading companies messed up. There were also team sets issued in book form that were different from the regular SSPC set.

Happy to help....the 1975 Nolan Ryan card (#10) was part of a 42 card set otherwise known as the 'Superstar' set. The cards have a glossy-type finish and were sold in complete sets by TCMA/SSPC. Ryan can be seen in the background of #9 Vada Pinson in this set as well.

The 1976 Ryan card (#187, linked) was part of the large 630 card set, also known as the 'pure' card set. On the backs of these cards it lists a 1975 copyright date, but the set did come out in 1976.

I loved all of the SSPC sets as a kid, it was a fine alternative to Topps, Kelloggs, and Hostess. But it seems like 95% of the photos in the 'pure' card set were taken at Shea Stadium......all teams came through there because Yankee stadium was being renovated at the time, so it saved the photographers some travel money, for sure.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Looks like I'll have to track down a '75 Ryan, as well as that Vida Pinson!

One seller on ebay advertised the 1975 set as a prototype set that was issued before the larger set, perhaps to test the waters. I had not heard that before, but then again I never really cared for the cards and didn't seek out much information about them. I don't think too much of that stuff was sold in general (TCMA, Laughlin, etc), hence the tougher to find status of many of those issues from the early to late 70s sold through TCMA, Renata Galasso, etc.

Happy to help....the 1975 Nolan Ryan card (#10) was part of a 42 card set otherwise known as the 'Superstar' set. The cards have a glossy-type finish and were sold in complete sets by TCMA/SSPC. Ryan can be seen in the background of #9 Vada Pinson in this set as well.

The 1976 Ryan card (#187, linked) was part of the large 630 card set, also known as the 'pure' card set. On the backs of these cards it lists a 1975 copyright date, but the set did come out in 1976.

I loved all of the SSPC sets as a kid, it was a fine alternative to Topps, Kelloggs, and Hostess. But it seems like 95% of the photos in the 'pure' card set were taken at Shea Stadium......all teams came through there because Yankee stadium was being renovated at the time, so it saved the photographers some travel money, for sure.

Mrhaverkamp is 100% correct. I am pretty close to being done with the big set. Only need 15 more but of course they are all stars. I picked up a good portion from a guy in a trade and figured what the heck. There are also two different versions of the Ryan CL card #593. One has his name spelled "Noland" and the other has the correct spellling. If anybody has any for sale please let me know. You can also usually get these pretty cheap on Sportlots.