Steaming (ebay rant)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Just have to blow off steam. Got two packages today. First had 4 Ripken cards. The two 83 topps (20 bv each) had water stains that I couldnt see in the scans. Centering matches up but water damage does not show.

Second Package was a 1978 Carl Yastrzemski bv 25.00 card was placed in a top loader with no penny sleeve. When I opened the envelope I noticed the card was 1/4 of the way out of the top loader.

Both sellers had many feedbacks with no red flags. Bummer man.

That is the biggest reason I rarely trade vintage (pre 80) online.. Potential condition problems on either end just don't make it worth the stress. I prefer to deal in older cards face to face. and It is issues like you had with the Ripkens that understandably make grading such a huge deal for internet buyers/sellers/traders.

I cannot count the amount of times I've seen posts here where if the other member and I lived closer together we could do some awesome transactions. But 99% of the time I don't attempt a trade beause of potential issues with older cards.

The careless packaging of the Yaz is mind blowing! Making sure I package things correctly is my biggest concern on trading online. The little effort the seller would have had to make to ship this correctly in inexcusable! Did the Yaz arrive in good shape or was it damaged?

That is the biggest reason I rarely trade vintage (pre 80) online.. Potential condition problems on either end just don't make it worth the stress. I prefer to deal in older cards face to face. and It is issues like you had with the Ripkens that understandably make grading such a huge deal for internet buyers/sellers/traders.

I cannot count the amount of times I've seen posts here where if the other member and I lived closer together we could do some awesome transactions. But 99% of the time I don't attempt a trade beause of potential issues with older cards.

The careless packaging of the Yaz is mind blowing! Making sure I package things correctly is my biggest concern on trading online. The little effort the seller would have had to make to ship this correctly in inexcusable! Did the Yaz arrive in good shape or was it damaged?
Yaz suffered a corner ding. Otherwise nearly flawless. Bummer

Yaz suffered a corner ding. Otherwise nearly flawless. Bummer
I have that 2nd issue happen all the time on here. Get cards and they are sticking up out of the top loader, especially the taller flimsy loaders. Luckily they haven't been ruined yet but the amount of people that send cards like that, or that don't put every card in at least a penny sleeve for protection, is mind blowing.

Just have to blow off steam. Got two packages today. First had 4 Ripken cards. The two 83 topps (20 bv each) had water stains that I couldnt see in the scans. Centering matches up but water damage does not show.

Second Package was a 1978 Carl Yastrzemski bv 25.00 card was placed in a top loader with no penny sleeve. When I opened the envelope I noticed the card was 1/4 of the way out of the top loader.

Both sellers had many feedbacks with no red flags. Bummer man.
I sell a TON on eBay. Vintage and modern. No penny sleeve is a definite NO-NO regardless of card value. Always put the card in a team bag so it doesn't slide out. Sorry you went through that. I'd reach out to the buyer and let them know.

As far as the water stains I'd definitely request a refund or return. Buyer should disclose any damage even if it's not pictured very well.

I bit the bullet yesterday. I cancelled my eBay membership. This was prompted by another one of those updated rules letters. Each one of them is just another way for eBay to shirk responsibility.

I got a Oversized card in the mail today. No penny sleeve, Top loader, etc. It was literally sent in a Manila envelope between 2 flimsy pieces of cardboard. Needless to say, the cardboard was bent in half, the card was bent in half, and there were multiple scratches on the face of the card. Messaged the seller and told him the card was ruined and he tried to tell me that's the only way he can send Oversized cards cause "they don't make Top loaders or sleeves for them". I replied back with a photo of some Oversized sleeves and loaders I have and he proceeded to say "your a piece of trash. Here's your refund". Classy.....

I got a Oversized card in the mail today. No penny sleeve, Top loader, etc. It was literally sent in a Manila envelope between 2 flimsy pieces of cardboard. Needless to say, the cardboard was bent in half, the card was bent in half, and there were multiple scratches on the face of the card. Messaged the seller and told him the card was ruined and he tried to tell me that's the only way he can send Oversized cards cause "they don't make Top loaders or sleeves for them". I replied back with a photo of some Oversized sleeves and loaders I have and he proceeded to say "your a piece of trash. Here's your refund". Classy.....
Wow, thats terrible.