Ebay rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Got what used to be a beautiful Carl Yastrzemski in the mail today. This guy put it in a ziplock bag and a #10 envelope. You probably see where this is headed. The machine pressed a perfect crease from top to bottom right where the zipper was folded over onto the card. Guy says no refunds so now I gotta go the ebay route. What a bummer man.

Havent had very good luck with sellers lately myself. Last 3 out of 5 sellers marked the items shipped so they could get paid but never got the item to the post office. Ebay did refund the money but really wanted the cards. Cant believe someone would send a card in a baggie. Wow.

Oh that is a real shame! I lucked out when someone mailed me a NM Merlin Olsen RC in a PWE with no protection at all. How that card arrived here in perfect shape was a real stroke of luck!

Was the Yaz a vintage card?

Oh that is a real shame! I lucked out when someone mailed me a NM Merlin Olsen RC in a PWE with no protection at all. How that card arrived here in perfect shape was a real stroke of luck!

Was the Yaz a vintage card?
It is a ‘78. Only books for 25 but the thing was grade worthy. Was!!

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I've dealt with some "ify" shipping methods over the years also, but what really gets me is when you pay $5 or more for S&H and its gets mailed in a PWE. Never given negative feedback but wont rate the shipping and always make a comment on how it was shipped when leaving comments.

Last edited:
Havent had very good luck with sellers lately myself. Last 3 out of 5 sellers marked the items shipped so they could get paid but never got the item to the post office. Ebay did refund the money but really wanted the cards. Cant believe someone would send a card in a baggie. Wow.
There seem to be a lot of sellers who will create a confirmation number and get it to you right away. Then you can see in the tracking that it didn't get to the post office for 4 days.

I am running into the same thing with sellers posting a tracking number right away, but not shipping. Just had someone wait 2 weeks to mail after providing the number, then messaged me after I docked him on shipping. Lots of stupid people involved in the hobby right now.

Some sellers are chintzy that way..........If I don't get it in 3 weeks, or arrives in poor condition, I go the eBay route for a refund..........Try to avoid the standard envelope option if possible...........

Got what used to be a beautiful Carl Yastrzemski in the mail today. This guy put it in a ziplock bag and a #10 envelope. You probably see where this is headed. The machine pressed a perfect crease from top to bottom right where the zipper was folded over onto the card. Guy says no refunds so now I gotta go the ebay route. What a bummer man.
That sucks, especially a guy without any respect for a nice Yaz haha. Hope your luck changes next time

Just had the same experience with a Norm Cash relic. Seller put in a card saver and #10 envelope. I new before I opened it that it was going to be creased. Was highly upset. Cash doesn’t have many relics at all and it was a nice one I wanted for the PC. I did get a refund along with the usual excuse “this is the first time this has ever happened to me”

Dude if you’re mailing thick relic cards in a #10 PWE, this is NOT the first time! Do better. Personally I think anyone charging $5 for shipping and mailing a PWE should get a strike on there seller acct.

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot of sellers who will create a confirmation number and get it to you right away. Then you can see in the tracking that it didn't get to the post office for 4 days.

Specifically regarding eBay, this comes from their system. I print shipping labels as I can, and package items as I can, usually in batches, understanding the buyer has visibility but there's nothing I can do about it. Not trying to game the system.

Similarly on sites like The Bench, Paypal will provide the tracking number whenever the label is printed. I may not be able to package up all the items right away. If I know this is the case, I try to tell the buyer something like "These will physically go out X day" because I know they have visibility through Paypal.

As far as the PWE stuff... if done right, it's very safe and saves buyers a lot of money on low end items. On eBay, I don't take chances with thick cards, multiple cards etc. because they have to go through the machines to get scanned. I see some people bragging about how many cards they can fit in a PWE. All fun and games until the USPS puts one in a body bag.

For non-eBay transactions, I regularly use "non-machinable" for multiple cards or slightly thicker cards. and it seems to work well for me.

I think most sellers would be willing to send in a bubble mailer even if Standard Envelope is the advertised default method. I haven't messed with trying to add multiple options to my eBay listings but probably should as I know some buyers refuse to buy Standard Envelope. But I would encourage buyers to ask.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this. I could sorta understand this happening 2-3 years ago when card supplies (top loaders, shoe boxes) were in short supply. Ultra-Pro stuff was sold out for months. But nowadays, it's easier to get top loaders at card shows, on Amazon, etc. You'd think a seller experienced in the hobby would respect their buyers and respect a 45-year-old card of a HOFer.

Lately I've sold some cards on eBay with their "Standard envelope" option to keep shipping costs affordable for the buyer and seller. That has its own issues, but that's another topic. I still always put cards in top loaders. Just a matter of common sense and consideration for the other party.

The worst part about it was this person has almost 1900 feedbacks. I would think he’d know better than to ship in a ziplock bag. Not even non machinable. That machine neatly pressed a crease right up the thing.

Update: eBay sent me a link for a return shipping label. Looks like I might get a refund. Placed in mail this morning. Knock on wood.

'until the USPS puts one in a body bag.........' That, my friend, is hilarious.........Unless it's happened to you..........Sounds like you are a diligent buyer and seller; something lacking on eBay these days...........
O it’s literally a body bag with a little note. Got one not to long ago. Wish I still had the pic I’d post it.

The worst part about it was this person has almost 1900 feedbacks. I would think he’d know better than to ship in a ziplock bag. Not even non machinable. That machine neatly pressed a crease right up the thing.

Update: eBay sent me a link for a return shipping label. Looks like I might get a refund. Placed in mail this morning. Knock on wood.
Of you sent in a pic you’ll get the refund. Ebay will issue it

I had a similar situation a few years ago on ebay, but not with a card but a vinyl album. Shipping and handling were low and I think the total with the price of the album was around 20 bucks. I didn't even need to open the package to know there was an issue as the mailman damn near folded the thing to get it in the mailbox. Not marked fragile, do not bend, handle with care or anything on the outside of a flimsy priority mail envelope. After opening I see the album, a full size 33 rpm in 4 separate pieces and the biggest had about 45 tiny fractures in it. I was able to get refunded and found the same album at a local record shop for a few bucks, but damn man ..

I had a similar situation a few years ago on ebay, but not with a card but a vinyl album. Shipping and handling were low and I think the total with the price of the album was around 20 bucks. I didn't even need to open the package to know there was an issue as the mailman damn near folded the thing to get it in the mailbox. Not marked fragile, do not bend, handle with care or anything on the outside of a flimsy priority mail envelope. After opening I see the album, a full size 33 rpm in 4 separate pieces and the biggest had about 45 tiny fractures in it. I was able to get refunded and found the same album at a local record shop for a few bucks, but damn man ..
Damn, folded record in half, Now that’s a classic… no pun intended.