STOP putting tape on top loaders!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonzomoretti

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Opened my mail today and it happened again. I received a Nolan Ryan that slipped out of its penny sleeve and was stuck to the tape. No bog deal you say? Why I need to keep an exacto knife on my desk to open cards I'll never know when it is UNNECCESSARY!!! Dang it (I want to use harsher words but this thread would have gotten deleted and I am sure there is at least 1 kid out there who may never have heard the words I want to use) I was able to surgically remove the card from the toploader unharmed but WHY? Look, if you have ever gotten cards in top loaders from me, you will notice I NEVER put tape to keep the penny sleeve inside as I PUT THE CARDS IN UPSIDE DOWN!!! No tape necessary. IT ISN'T HARD:
stampouttape.jpg

I posted this a couple years ago and several idiots made fun of it so I chided them back. Be serious, tape isn't necessary! STOP IT!

You can also use a team bag that will prevent the slip out of a sleeve that "should not" slip out. Face it, people will do what they want/need to do, despite good advice to the contrary. Personally I think the minimum packing requirement should be sleeve, inside top loader inside team bag. No cards in toploaders w/o sleeves, no semi-rigid holders, no cards right into an envelope, etc!

I don't care if you recycle each and every piece too. I appreciate those who use new supplies, but I am not buying the supplies, so it is not necessary and if you are attempting to save a few pennies where you can, recycled supplies will help. I have 1000s of used toploaders, sleeves and bags but at the rate I trade now, i'll never use half of them.

You can also use a team bag that will prevent the slip out of a sleeve that "should not" slip out. Face it, people will do what they want/need to do, despite good advice to the contrary. Personally I think the minimum packing requirement should be sleeve, inside top loader inside team bag. No cards in toploaders w/o sleeves, no semi-rigid holders, no cards right into an envelope, etc!

I don't care if you recycle each and every piece too. I appreciate those who use new supplies, but I am not buying the supplies, so it is not necessary and if you are attempting to save a few pennies where you can, recycled supplies will help. I have 1000s of used toploaders, sleeves and bags but at the rate I trade now, i'll never use half of them.

I highly recommend recycling. I reuse everything, even bubble packs. Save your cash on the bags as they are unnecessary if you do the above correctly.
I also save the NICE toploaders for myself or for the guys I trade with very often. I reuse/resend or throw out the ones with tape on them already. I never add tape to them though.

I never use tape on my toploaders......but I do use toploaders that I get from other trades.... when mailing out cards. I always use rubber bands (made in the USA).Best regards, David

Never thought of this really but I promise to try it on our next trade. Usually if it is one common type card I use a PWE and tape the top loader to the paper to keep it from moving around inside. And yes I have taped the top closed. Next time I will remember just put the penny sleeve in upside down.

Thanks,

Jeff

Amen to everything said here. I always put cards and toploaders in a team bag, but most importantly, BLUE PAINTERS TAPE! It's a no-brainer with all the neighborhood of collector bloggers -- no tape muss, and everything (penny sleeves, toploaders, team bag) can be reused.

And I always throw the rubber bands I get from David into my drawer and the kids use them for all kinds of things. So they get recycled.
I've got my own batch of David's rubber bands. Keep in mind, no need to use them if you put the penny sleeve upside down.

Amen to everything said here. I always put cards and toploaders in a team bag, but most importantly, BLUE PAINTERS TAPE! It's a no-brainer with all the neighborhood of collector bloggers -- no tape muss, and everything (penny sleeves, toploaders, team bag) can be reused.
I've bought painters tape and it is not cheap. Again, just put the sleeve upside down and SAVE YOUR TAPE for painting!

I've got my own batch of David's rubber bands. Keep in mind, no need to use them if you put the penny sleeve upside down.

I heard you....but I do it my way. I help with USA companies...by bubble envelopes/larger envelopes from Target (again usa company), by the rubber bands. Buying from stores I always look for US products. Best regards, David

I think the same thing almost every time I open a bubble mailer. Why with the tape? There are so many other ways without causing undue issues. Especially for those special people who don't even put the card in a penny sleeve.

Just my two cents - but I have received cards in a top loader not taped with the penny sleeve upside down and the sleeve is halfway out of the loader. No method is perfect, but every trader has to package their cards in the method they feel most comfortable with so the card/cards arrive in good shape. I would rather have a trade recipient complain to me about my packaging method than complain about receiving damaged cards.

My other two cents would be that I am more concerned about traders who do PWE trades and just throw the top loader in the envelope with no reinforcement and no security, allowing it to slide around the envelope the entire time. Also using a regular stamp rather than paying the extra money for the "non-auto" handling at the post office.

The balance of my 6 cents - MUCH more concerned about traders who misrepresent condition of cards or send cards smelling like they have been in a damp basement for 20 years or smelling like smoke or pet hair included in the package. This is of special concern to me, as I trade for vintage much more than I trade for current cards and have thrown many "mint" cards in the trash.

Just my two cents - but I have received cards in a top loader not taped with the penny sleeve upside down and the sleeve is halfway out of the loader. No method is perfect, but every trader has to package their cards in the method they feel most comfortable with so the card/cards arrive in good shape. I would rather have a trade recipient complain to me about my packaging method than complain about receiving damaged cards.

Andy, If the sleeve slides, your toploader is too big! If you slide it in and it doesn't fit tightly, slide your thank you note in-between to tighten it up. Your other points are for a different thread.
The whole point of this thread is that I had a card that slid out of the sleeve and got stuck in the tape and I AM TIRED OF IT! There is NO NEED AT ALL for sealing the top loader if you put the sleeve in upside down and tight. PERIOD! I can shake the top loader in my hand and it WON"T COME OUT or EVEN MOVE. If it does, it's too loose. Use a different toploader. COMMON SENSE! It is so freakin' easy I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. EASY!!!!!!

Andy, If the sleeve slides, your toploader is too big! If you slide it in and it doesn't fit tightly, slide your thank you note in-between to tighten it up. Your other points are for a different thread.
The whole point of this thread is that I had a card that slid out of the sleeve and got stuck in the tape and I AM TIRED OF IT! There is NO NEED AT ALL for sealing the top loader if you put the sleeve in upside down and tight. PERIOD! I can shake the top loader in my hand and it WON"T COME OUT or EVEN MOVE. If it does, it's too loose. Use a different toploader. COMMON SENSE! It is so freakin' easy I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. EASY!!!!!!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I stand by my statement that I would rather have 100 people complain to me about how I ship my cards than have a single person complain that it arrived damaged. My only concern is that the cards make it to the recipient safely and if I had to use Gorilla Glue and Duct Tape to make that happen, than that is what I would do.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I stand by my statement that I would rather have 100 people complain to me about how I ship my cards than have a single person complain that it arrived damaged. My only concern is that the cards make it to the recipient safely and if I had to use Gorilla Glue and Duct Tape to make that happen, than that is what I would do.

You are correct Andy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am just saying why take unnecessary measures and over-do a very simple thing. This works, its cheaper, easier, greener, cleaner and just makes sense. I have never had a complaint when I have done this method. Over 3000 trades. Pretty good odds. I could do more damage trying to get the card out of the holder than the post office can getting it to me....sad in my opinion. Then again, that's why there is a rating system for packaging. Needless to say, the guy that sent me the above card got a 1 star rating for packaging. I only left 1 star because I did manage to get it out undamaged.
Why do I need an exacto knife to get at my cards? I could slice my finger and spend more money having to go to the hospital cutting into my baseball card allowance!

Over the years I have received toploaders, mini-snaps and magnetic holders all taped shut. To get rid of the tape residue I use Goo Gone the best product I think on the market.