Strasburgh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kekamba

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
How many more lack luster starts do you guys feel it will take before the hype starts to fade? Im not saying he cant or wont be a great pitcher some day. But after coming out of the gates at a Express rate. He's really started to look more like a young rookie. I feel soon you could start to see some of the mania around him fade.

You must be grading on one tough curve because I find it hard to call any of his 6 starts "lack luster", outside of one maybe.

Six starts, 2 wins(in his middle three starts he had one run of support from his offense), an ERA of 2.45 and a WHIP of 1.06. Not to mention in 36.2 innings he has only walked 10 and struck out 53.

I watched him pitch yesterday and he struggled a bit in the first innning but still escaped only having given up one run.

Still on the fence with this kid. I would love to see him pitch in the
All-Star Game against guys like Mauer, Morneau, Arod & etc. That
would be a great test.

I think he will be among the best, but the talk of the All Star nod was way over the top and would have been a travesty even if he had 4-5 wins rather than two. He may well be there next year, but he'll have to have the beginning of the season to the selection stats to do it rather than hype.

I might be grading on a tough curve. I normaly avoid pitchers in the hobby because they seem to fall from grace faster than stras's fastball. But with that said it seems that its all about what you've done lately and he's not pitched bad at all and plays for a team that struggles to support him. But Im just wondering if you guys thought that some of the price's might start to dip since his last few games.

I might be grading on a tough curve. I normaly avoid pitchers in the hobby because they seem to fall from grace faster than stras's fastball. But with that said it seems that its all about what you've done lately and he's not pitched bad at all and plays for a team that struggles to support him. But Im just wondering if you guys thought that some of the price's might start to dip since his last few games.

With almost any prospect the biggest hype they are going to have is when they are first called up, in regards to the hobby that is. That's why you see so many prospectors selling at that time.

In the hobby and in the game the kid has been hyped up bigger than almost any other pitcher I can recall so it will be hard to live up to that. I do think he's the real deal but I will stop short of calling him the second coming:)

Just check out the number of posts on the Bench which have PROSPECTS for trade or sale. Many of the players listed are no longer a prospect and have since fallen to the tag of minor leaguer.

I do think Strasburg will be a good pitcher, but needs to have support from his entire team. Will he make the AS game next year, who knows.

the way they made this kid out to some kind of hero was a joke. Talk about putting pressure on him. He did very well off the gate but look at the teams he played against.Now he faces to teams that are hot (mets and braves) and seem to slow WAY down and era went up. This kid has so much potential and i believe in time he will be a good pitcher but why wont they let him pitch longer? once when he loaded the bases they took him out right away. They wont let him pitch past 100 pitches or the 7th inning or what ever comes first.
A lot of people are like (the team gives him no run support) well that is true but if you are a great pitcher you can do god. Just look at the 1972 Phillies they only won 59 games. They just flat out stank! BUT Steve Carlton had 27 wins! That is what true pitching is all about!
I believe this kid will be great. but needs time. they need to let him pitch more too. If they wont let him go past the 5th - 7th inning how can he have a perfect game or a no hitter?
I don't know. Just my opinion. And yes I do want him to fail. The nationals are in the Philies division and we don't need someone like that going against us! :D

A lot of people are like (the team gives him no run support) well that is true but if you are a great pitcher you can do god. Just look at the 1972 Phillies they only won 59 games. They just flat out stank! BUT Steve Carlton had 27 wins! That is what true pitching is all about!

Really? Steve Carlton? He was in his 8th year in the big leagues in 1972. You said the way people made this kid out to be a hero was a joke and then you go and compare him and his team to the 1972 Phillies and Steve Carlton who like I said, was in his 8th MLB season. This kid is 6-7 starts in. I'm starting to think maybe all of the Phillies fans on this site may be delusional...

I said it from jump don't beleive the hype. He may be great two years from now but this is a acid test he is failing big time.

the way they made this kid out to some kind of hero was a joke. Talk about putting pressure on him. He did very well off the gate but look at the teams he played against.Now he faces to teams that are hot (mets and braves) and seem to slow WAY down and era went up. This kid has so much potential and i believe in time he will be a good pitcher but why wont they let him pitch longer? once when he loaded the bases they took him out right away. They wont let him pitch past 100 pitches or the 7th inning or what ever comes first.
I believe this kid will be great. but needs time. they need to let him pitch more too. If they wont let him go past the 5th - 7th inning how can he have a perfect game or a no hitter?
I don't know. Just my opinion. And yes I do want him to fail. The nationals are in the Philies division and we don't need someone like that going against us! :D

Craig said it best with the comparison to Carlton. Here is my two cents as far as his innings limits and pitch limits. Remember Mark Prior? I think he was as good as Strasburg when he first came up. In his debut he had 10 strikeouts...against the Red Sox in interleague play. He was a phenom in Chicago. Then the injuries started. The main cause for them? They pitched him to much. He pratically had no innings or pitch limit so they gave him the ball and pretty much said, "Here you go kid. Go crazy."

Great comparison to this is Joba with the Yankees last year, and now Phil Hughes this year. In their first full official season as a starter, they have/had innings and pitch limits. Yes Phil Hughes' limits prety much came up about a week or two ago, but he has them. They aren't letting him go past 180 innings. Some say that this hurts their maturation as a starter. It may seem like that on the surface, but that is how you protect your young guns. As much as people may hate to see this, but I still feel that the Yankees eventually see Hughes and Joba both in the starting rotation.

I have not seen a curveball like his since Doc Gooden in his rookie year. A fast ball at 98mph, consistently, and a changeup at 92 mph...consistently and throw in that curveball. Believe the hype people. Ian Desmond looks to be a decent ball player, the CF they got from the Pirates, if he keeps learning the position, throw in Bryce Harper and LOOK OUT NL East teams. As a Mets fan I am not looking forward to them in the future. the have a decent heirarchy in Washington also. Can get scary should Starsburg not get hurt.

Really? Steve Carlton? He was in his 8th year in the big leagues in 1972. You said the way people made this kid out to be a hero was a joke and then you go and compare him and his team to the 1972 Phillies and Steve Carlton who like I said, was in his 8th MLB season. This kid is 6-7 starts in. I'm starting to think maybe all of the Phillies fans on this site may be delusional...

it was just a example. The way they raved this kid to be the best that will ever play baseball. I saw a news paper here once that said Strasburg will save baseball. Then when he started to not do so good the excuses began. "the mound was wet" "he was hot" "he gets no run support" They way they hyped this kid up to be some super hero in baseball it was like comparing him to Carlton.
if I offended you I apologize. I was just trying to make a point that I don't see the worlds greatest pitcher so far here. And the excuses "he gets no run support" doesn't fly for me. The kid can throw but if you ask me that arm isnt going to last forever.
But I am sorry. it is just my opinion. and no I am not delusioal my friend

it was just a example. The way they raved this kid to be the best that will ever play baseball. I saw a news paper here once that said Strasburg will save baseball. Then when he started to not do so good the excuses began. "the mound was wet" "he was hot" "he gets no run support" They way they hyped this kid up to be some super hero in baseball it was like comparing him to Carlton.
if I offended you I apologize. I was just trying to make a point that I don't see the worlds greatest pitcher so far here. And the excuses "he gets no run support" doesn't fly for me. The kid can throw but if you ask me that arm isnt going to last forever.

In my opinion no run support is a great reason for not getting a win. You can pitch as long as you want but if your team doesn't score you are never going to get that "W":)

I haven't read all the responses nor will I, but I find human nature interesting.

We build people up and salivate at the chance to tear them down, even in we have to manufacture, imagine or alter some of the reality surrounding them.

EDIT: PS. Wins and Losses are a TEAM stat and a terrible way to measure a pitchers effectiveness, thankfully people are catching on to this.

You didn't offend me at all. I hope I didn't offend you either.

In my opinion no run support is a great reason for not getting a win. You can pitch as long as you want but if your team doesn't score you are never going to get that "W":)

But see that's my entire point. Carlton pitched on a team that had NO run support but seem to get the win. it all starts with the pitcher. Did he let up runs? hits? walks? People are like "oh man the ss missed placed that double play" but why did the pitcher throw the ball right down the middle of the plate?
See my point? I think he is a great pitcher. his pitch count has dropped a lot per game and his ERA. went way up. that is facts. but like I said. yes I want him to do bad. he players in my division and can cause a threat to my Phillies.

You didn't offend me at all. I hope I didn't offend you either.

No offence and yes I am true die hard Phillies Phan but i am not delusioal..