The Bench - what can we do to ramp up the activity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Bench used to be (10 years ago) very busy with trading. Now I get so few offers it’s almost not worth the work to post all the cards I have that are available. I must have 3-4 hundred cards up for trade from all baseball teams but if I get 2 members interested per month it’s a miracle.

I have never heard of this. Can you describe what it is?
Its basically a group trade designed after the NFL draft. We could choose any parameters we want like time frames, cards drafted, etc. Start with a signup...maybe 12 to 15 initally, each player sends a moderator their cards based on criteria (example, min $20 bv, certain sport, no base), plus a postage paid return envelope for the "picks". Moderator posts all the cards. Draft pick order is determined by popularity of your cards, and then each participant picks a card from the group when they are on the clock. So having the first pick in round 1 gives you choice of all the cards sent in. Participants are allowed to trade draft picks to move up or down to potentially get a specific card. 7 rounds max...it can get really interseting when some send in $50 cards...everyone wants them...its really a lot of fun and gets site members to interact and get to know each other...

Its basically a group trade designed after the NFL draft. We could choose any parameters we want like time frames, cards drafted, etc. Start with a signup...maybe 12 to 15 initally, each player sends a moderator their cards based on criteria (example, min $20 bv, certain sport, no base), plus a postage paid return envelope for the "picks". Moderator posts all the cards. Draft pick order is determined by popularity of your cards, and then each participant picks a card from the group when they are on the clock. So having the first pick in round 1 gives you choice of all the cards sent in. Participants are allowed to trade draft picks to move up or down to potentially get a specific card. 7 rounds max...it can get really interseting when some send in $50 cards...everyone wants them...its really a lot of fun and gets site members to interact and get to know each other...
It does sound kind of cool. I would be interested for sure.

I could certainly write up the "rules" but wouldnt staff like your self need to be involved?

Do me a favor -- start a thread up with the rules. If the response is there, we can create a chat room specifically for the "draft" -- that way you would be able to make it move a bit quicker than waiting for people to check their messages.

I would recommend that the initial one has card values a bit lower, just to cover folks in case some one flakes. I would also recommend that a disclaimer is included that you must have a 5.0 rating and a certain number of trades to be added to the group.

I have never heard of this before, but am intrigued by what its potential is.

Do me a favor -- start a thread up with the rules. If the response is there, we can create a chat room specifically for the "draft" -- that way you would be able to make it move a bit quicker than waiting for people to check their messages.

I would recommend that the initial one has card values a bit lower, just to cover folks in case some one flakes. I would also recommend that a disclaimer is included that you must have a 5.0 rating and a certain number of trades to be added to the group.

ok...give me a few days...work takes up most of my time during the week thanks

The Bench used to be (10 years ago) very busy with trading. Now I get so few offers it’s almost not worth the work to post all the cards I have that are available. I must have 3-4 hundred cards up for trade from all baseball teams but if I get 2 members interested per month it’s a miracle.
Some of this may be because of what people are looking for and what people have for trade. I consistently do 10 to 20 trades per month. But I do not have a lot of high value cards to trade.

ok I have the rules written up...wouldnt mind help from a moderator with this as it does involve all shipping cards to one person. Also moderator feedback is welcome...

I would like to see any post in the High End for trade section to require pics.

I think it’s fair for all members to see what the card is at that value especially with how important condition is these days.

I would like to see any post in the High End for trade section to require pics.

I think it’s fair for all members to see what the card is at that value especially with how important condition is these days.

I don't think we need to require that pictures be posted in the thread - if you are interested in a listed card, you can ask to see a scan/picture prior to making any type of offer on it.

Unfortunately, not a single card company felt it necessary to send us a free box of cards.

Kate, If you want a box of card from any company the major thing is you need a social media following. Example, Panini gives a lot of their product to the bigger blogs and breakers out there. Does the Bench have a big blog following or anyone from the bench a big breaker?

Auction room vs ebay

Would it be possible to create a thread or have a auction type post or posts that run a certain amount of time. If Mike was here he could easily code something like to help with this. I seen sites (Facebook) page run auction posts with members just commenting on the post to buy, seen a auction style once on one site where you bid and all the bids were blind. Then upon the time limit all the blind auction bids were shared and the highest bidder won the card. It a great idea but the biggest thing is finding someone who has a lot of cards to auction away and can get them at a good price. If your doing it for site currency who is going to do want to sell for those if there is no use for those?

Draft board. I done this on a other site back in the day Sportscardsheriff. It was a great way as members would join in and pony up some dollars and we would look for large lots to buy (ebay) back then. Then, the moderator in charge would list all the cards out in a long list and figure out a draft order and away we would go drafting cards. So, that can be fun if there are folks who are interested in a draft but as with all things who will run it.

Love reading thru the idea that folks come up with.

Don

ok I have the rules written up...wouldnt mind help from a moderator with this as it does involve all shipping cards to one person. Also moderator feedback is welcome...
I am 100% in and love the idea. It would be a snake draft, maybe 5 rounds, using random.org to make the order?

I am 100% in and love the idea. It would be a snake draft, maybe 5 rounds, using random.org to make the order?
Unfortunately, not a single card company felt it necessary to send us a free box of cards.

Kate, If you want a box of card from any company the major thing is you need a social media following. Example, Panini gives a lot of their product to the bigger blogs and breakers out there. Does the Bench have a big blog following or anyone from the bench a big breaker?

Auction room vs ebay

Would it be possible to create a thread or have a auction type post or posts that run a certain amount of time. If Mike was here he could easily code something like to help with this. I seen sites (Facebook) page run auction posts with members just commenting on the post to buy, seen a auction style once on one site where you bid and all the bids were blind. Then upon the time limit all the blind auction bids were shared and the highest bidder won the card. It a great idea but the biggest thing is finding someone who has a lot of cards to auction away and can get them at a good price. If your doing it for site currency who is going to do want to sell for those if there is no use for those?

Draft board. I done this on a other site back in the day Sportscardsheriff. It was a great way as members would join in and pony up some dollars and we would look for large lots to buy (ebay) back then. Then, the moderator in charge would list all the cards out in a long list and figure out a draft order and away we would go drafting cards. So, that can be fun if there are folks who are interested in a draft but as with all things who will run it.

Love reading thru the idea that folks come up with.

Don
Don, I think that is where I originally got the idea from...think I actually participated in the draft on the site once or twice...I have been talking with katester44...he said he will moderate and hold the cards...I would but going into my busy season at work...

ok I will post in as soon as I have a chance...yes 5 rounds, but no snake draft...never heard of that before...and yes can use random.org for the draft order

ok I will post in as soon as I have a chance...yes 5 rounds, but no snake draft...never heard of that before...and yes can use random.org for the draft order
snake means the order reverses in each round, so if I am first in round 1 I am last in round 2, etc. this is how almost all fantasy drafts go.

otherwise you'd re-randomize each round? that seems cumbersome.

if the same person picks first each round, it's pretty lopsided / lottery tickety, no?