The red top loader

bombie1138

5.00 star(s)
A little story here,
Three months ago I received a trade,the card was great and the card was in beautiful shape, but it came in a red top loader.I have only seen this type of top loader a few times in my 17+ years of collecting.
It caught my attention because it looked like it had circled the planet at least ten times and was very scratched and worn.I studied it of a while and then I realized that I have been given the dreaded "The Bench" cursed top-loader,..
I panic and realized that I have to get rid of it ASAP,as I am sure 1000 traders have done before me,so I actually reseal a trade, ran it to the mailbox,shut the door on the box, and wiped the sweet from my forehead,..that was a close one.
I rest easy these days, but when I open a mailer now I hear the theme song from 'Jaws" playing in the back of my head !!

Clint

Last edited:

wreckingballsc

5.00 star(s)
A little story here,
Three months ago I received a trade,the card was great and the card was in beautiful shape, but it came in a red top loader.I have only seen this type of top loader a few times in my 17+ years of collecting.
It caught my attention because it looked like it had circled the planet at least ten times and was very scratched and worn.I studied it of a while and then I realized that I have been given the dreaded "The Bench" hot potato top loader !!
I panic and realized that I have to get rid of it ASAP,as I am sure 1000 traders have done before me,so I actually reseal a trade, ran it to the mailbox,shut the door on the box, and wiped the sweet from my forehead,..that was a close one.
I rest easy these days, but when I open a mailer now I hear the theme song from 'Jaws" playing in the back of my head !!

Clint
Clint - wtf? red top loader? I have never heard of this - please clue me in.
I made it through friday last week without much damage - but I just want to know what to look out for?
Ian

robert326

4.90 star(s)
Great story Clint! Over the years, I too have gotten a few holders that would qualify as a "hot potato" holder. :)

bombie1138

5.00 star(s)
Ian,
Its almost solid red,..worn like a old plastic headlamp cover from a 89 Plymouth Acclaim,..I'm sure it was created in the dark recesses of a company that surely has closed decades ago,..
I should have made a scan and posted it to warn all the other Benchies,...
but I know someone out there has it now,.. and its not me !!!

Clint

Last edited:

David K.

5.00 star(s)
What the ?????? Sounds like someone needs a vacation for at least two months! Any Moderators in the house! Best regards, David

lep1010

5.00 star(s)
I was able to get a pic once of the dreaded red top loader ... and even a rarer sight; I was able to get him with his good twin 'blue' - this is definetly a sighting that is a 'once in a lifetime'; much like pulling a Mantle auto - so please enjoy!!!

- yes, I did mess up blue's eye :( :D

tglg

5.00 star(s)
OK, it is official. I cannot do any trades with Erik (lep) for a while now. I know he will send me the red one, and not the blue one.

avstars

5.00 star(s)
If it's the red border toploader, I think I've seen it once. Traded it away along w/ a Chase Utley card (I needed to match the toploader w/ a red team).

bear0555

5.00 star(s)
If I get it, I'm slamming a crawling bug around the home with it and dump it in the trash. And it'll never see the light of day again. :D

Myerburg311

4.90 star(s)
I've come across quite a few of the red toploaders.. Didn't realize they were that rare amongst traders.. I guess it's just a Jersey thing since Erik has one.. Never seen a blue though

Chris

opcfan

5.00 star(s)
I remember white and yellow as well but this has to be the worst. I mean an amber colored rookie card hard case.