The use of "Mojo"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quambomb

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was just browsing through the BlowoutCard forums and stumbled upon a long discussion about a guy (I think a kid) who pulled a Heyward RC auto out of a few packs of Topps Chrome and titled his thread with "huge MOJO", aparantly a few people disagreed...

Click Here to See Thread

Some guy called the OP out on using Mojo to describe a $50 card (he claims Mojo must be BV>$1000) and thus the discussion began. I'm happy for the kid and think that mojo is hatever a collector wants it to be. That's what the hobby is for and some of these guys ranting just peeved me off. What do you all think???

When you are using a word that is not in the dictionary you can have it mean whatever you want it to:)

I don 't open tons of packs so I would say every time I pull an auto out it's mojo. Its whatever someone feels about how big of a card they pulled

I think the term means "magic" or "luck", so if a person pulls an interesting hot player or a rare hit regardless of value I think it's appropriate. Now his use of the adjective "huge" was probably over the top.

I agree the word is used much too often but you gotta understand about 90% of the people on the Blowout forums aren't collectors so they can't see things from our point of view. All they worry about is how much money they can make opening their cases.

There was another thread where someone opened a pack of 2010 Topps Series 2 and take a look on how that turned out:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball-box-breaks/95312-1-pack-2010-topps-ser-2-a.html

The kid is probably on a budget and enjoys picking up the occasional pack or 2 (nothing wrong with that) and you can see the welcoming committee in full force but was nice to see a few defending him.

I agree the word is used much too often but you gotta understand about 90% of the people on the Blowout forums aren't collectors so they can't see things from our point of view. All they worry about is how much money they can make opening their cases.

There was another thread where someone opened a pack of 2010 Topps Series 2 and take a look on how that turned out:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball-box-breaks/95312-1-pack-2010-topps-ser-2-a.html

The kid is probably on a budget and enjoys picking up the occasional pack or 2 (nothing wrong with that) and you can see the welcoming committee in full force but was nice to see a few defending him.

Wow. That was an...interesting...read. Veered way off course in the last few posts.

I had a helper Monkey named Mojo, but he got sick from drinking too much beer and eating donuts.... Oh , wait, that wasn't me...It was Homer

That thread, got a little crazy. Kind of mean

I honestly only read the blowout "pack and box break forums" to see what people are pulling and such, its probably one of my favorite boards on the interweb. And I agree, Mojo is whatever the collector wants it to be and some of these guys that just troll and flame kid collectors is just outrageous cuz its the kids and collectors that define the hobby moreso than the rip-n-flip guys. Thanks for the feedback everyone, its good to see that my fellow benchies pretty much agree with my opinion