The world according to beckett.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meliah

MVP
5.00 star(s)
2001 Fleer Focus #239 Julio Lugo/3999 $5.00
2001 Fleer Focus Green #239 Julio Lugo/283 $1.50

Anyone else have Beckett prices that make you shake your head?:)

It makes some sense. Are more people completing the base set with SP's or the parallel set? Not as many Julio Lugo collectors as set collectors. Anyone working on the set NEEDS the SP's, they don't NEED the green version. If you only get a few of the high #'s per box they tend to hold their value over a parallel set not many people bother to build. Kind of Like Heritage SP's vs the chrome parallels. You need the 2005 Heritage Nomar Blue cap version for the set, there are more of those than there are the Chrome parallels, but an unnumbered SP can book for more than a Chrome parallel /1956 sometimes pretty close to the refractor versions /556.

Not new news, but how is it that after 5 years of it being asked, that the 2006 UD Special F/X Blue parallels are still being priced low by Beckett, when its been shown that they are the rarest in the set?

In the print edition the 2009 Goudey 4in1 Ford\Jeter\A-Rod\**** went down to $2, unlisted stars are $3. Can't figure something with a HOF, Jeter and A-Rod would be less than an unlisted star:confused:

I shake my head when I see an entire set valued at less than the component value of a few cards in the set. And since that's consistent in Beckett, I've become my own bobble head.

This was always one of mine. If you can ignore that they list it as #d/99 with a print run of 15, then you just have to puzzle out whether a card twice as easy to find should be worth twice as much due to black ink instead of blue ink.

2009 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink #TT Troy Tulowitzki/199AUSN 199 $50.00
2009 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink #TT Troy Tulowitzki/99AUSN 15 $25.00

I shake my head when I see an entire set valued at less than the component value of a few cards in the set. And since that's consistent in Beckett, I've become my own bobble head.

That's pretty much true though. Most people aren't willing to pay a whole lot for current near sets missing the key cards. What's a real value of a 1983 Topps set minus the Gwynn, Sandberg, Boggs, Ripken, Ryan, and Rose? A 1982 Topps minus a Ripken, Rose, and Ryan? That's why sites like this exist, because buying singles to complete your sets would cost way more than just buying the set outright. A 1982 Topps common for 15 cents isn't out of line, but when you are looking for 750 of them plus a $20 Ripken rookie to finish a set you can buy for $40 delivered, it doesn't make sense.

Meliah, if you are trying to become a Julio Lugo supercollector, I have his 2001 Autographics Silver/250 :p .

My favorite is when they price cards THAT DON'T EXIST, yet have $n/a prices on cards from recent major sets that are not rare at all.

But here's an interesting goof I saw recently:

2004 Hot Prospects Draft #87 Richie Robnett AU RC SN 299 $25.00
2004 Hot Prospects Draft #100 Gio Gonzalez AU RC SN 299 $8.00
2004 Hot Prospects Draft #101 Huston Street AU RC SN 299 $8.00
2004 Hot Prospects Draft #110 Kurt Suzuki AU RC SN 299 $12.00

Please somebody sell me that Gio Gonzalez for $8. Richie Robnett is 27 and played last year in an independent league. The whole set is wonky like this, with scrubs/failed prospects priced at $25-40 and decent major leaguers who actually have demand for their auto RCs at $8 or so. I recently traded for the Huston Street and said I thought it booked at $40 (gave about $60 in trade for it) because it would be insulting to try to trade for that card at $8 BV.

Richard

I mentioned this before with the two versions of the A-Rod Mini Blue from 2004 Cracker Jack. The base version is the no-number at $3 x10 multiplier ($30), 200 base came 1:10 packs and are 1.5 times more available as the 50 SPs that came 1:60, the A-Rod Sp is #17 and is $8 x3 multipier ($25).

This was done by design by Dr. Beckett. There is a niche of collectors who use these crazy BVs to their benefit. For example, they can buy a card off ebay for $2, but it books for $20. They trade their $20 BV for another $20 BV card, but the card they get sells for $60 on ebay.

So whenever you see somebody that only trades BV for BV, now you know... they are trying to take advantage of you.

Not sure if these BVs are exactly right, but I like an example from my Jack Cust collection.

1998 Stadium Club "One of A Kind" (/150)-- BV $40
2009 Upper Deck Gold (/99)-- BV $12

???