thinking of breaking up most of the pc what do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
im looking for advice on people that have done this before. im thinking of selling off most of my ernie banks pc to raise some funds to find my buying/selling that ive started doing this summer and have had success with. im at school 9 months out of the year and the collection just sits in a drawer so i dont really even look at it so im trying to decide if i want to or not.

i would probably sell off everything but my banks rc and 03 sweet spot classics auto hand numbered to 25 since the auto is the only one ive ever seen and the rc is expensive so i probably wouldnt be able to replace that for awhile.

the plan would be to sell it all off and use it to fund the business and in the future when im better positioned financially i would pick up collecting. i would just sell off the replaceable items and not the super rare stuff. but what im looking for is for people to weigh in that have sold off their pc before or are thinking about it as well as anyone else that has any thoughts on it.

mainly on how hard it is to part with a collection youve been building for years and anything along those lines.

I have been there. Your plan sounds good. I did sell off my Banks collection and I sold all of the regular issues which I was able to replace. I sold a couple that i have not been able to replace and I wish I had them. I had some Bazookas and Canadian Post's I have not been able to replace. I also
sold a 1964 Topps stand up that I simply cannot afford to replace. If I find myself in that type of situation again(needing funds) I would sell everything but my Banks collection. I really want to pass that on to the Grandkids. What ever you do take your time and think it through. I will be looking to upgrade a couple of my Banks cards so if and when you decde to sell get ahold of me.
Thanks
Bill

how long did it take you to re up your banks collection? its an idea im tossing around im not sold on it yet but im thinking about it because with the 600-800 it would bring i could turn that into more money to eventually use to re up.

It has took 3 years, I was not in a hurry . I was able to replace 80% on eBay. My local LCS was able to fill the rest. When I sold prices were high, when I reupped they were low so I actually wound up with some better graded issues than what I had previously, and made a little extra cheese. Right now is not a good time to sell. People are selling at a fraction of book prices. I just bought a PSA 9 1957 for 35% of book. One card I probably will never own again was my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments, because of scarcity they are HTG and therefore not discounted. It may be different in your part of the country, I can only relay what has happened with me. I am by no means an expert, but if I were you I would move your other stuff if you can and hang on to your Ernies.
Good luck. If you have that 1971 card or a 1964 Topps stand up I am your guy.
Bill

how long did it take you to re up your banks collection? its an idea im tossing around im not sold on it yet but im thinking about it because with the 600-800 it would bring i could turn that into more money to eventually use to re up.

Personally, I don't think I'd do it. Your plan makes sense, and keeping the stuff you know you'll have a hard time replacing will save you from the biggest regret of a lot of people I've talked to or read about that have done that. The downside is it will limit what you get if you're selling a bunch of mid level stuff that's not that tough to find. The reason I wouldn't do it is simply because if you are expecting 600-800, which without seeing the collection does strike me as a reasonable expectation, that just simply wouldn't be enough for me. I'm old (I was starting college around the time you were born), but if you're in a college town 9 months out of the year, the $600-800 would seem to be something I'd pick up odd jobs to do. Work in the food service building, bus tables/stock/cashier at a restaurant/gas station, shovel, rake, get some buddies to do some painting, walk dogs, tutor, run errands, etc. 3 hours a day 3 times a week to me isn't much more hassle than the time spent listing cards, packing, shipping, etc. and at least I KNOW what I'm getting paid at a real job. Ebay auctions can yield very different prices for the same card. I'd be one to dwell too much. I'd be thinking "I paid $x for this card, it sold for half that, and likely will cost me more than that to replace it later" Or some things may not get a bid, or more than opening bid. If it was $1000-2000+, yeah, I'd think about it, but $600-800, I'd save the time and hassle. Being a specific collection like that, it's kind of tough to sell also. Banks is kind of like Puckett. Puckett is well liked, but his stuff sells for more in the Twin Cities area than elsewhere, but most Twin Cities dealers already have a load of Puckett stuff to sell, so you have plenty of competition.

Personally, I don't think I'd do it. Your plan makes sense, and keeping the stuff you know you'll have a hard time replacing will save you from the biggest regret of a lot of people I've talked to or read about that have done that. The downside is it will limit what you get if you're selling a bunch of mid level stuff that's not that tough to find. The reason I wouldn't do it is simply because if you are expecting 600-800, which without seeing the collection does strike me as a reasonable expectation, that just simply wouldn't be enough for me. I'm old (I was starting college around the time you were born), but if you're in a college town 9 months out of the year, the $600-800 would seem to be something I'd pick up odd jobs to do. Work in the food service building, bus tables/stock/cashier at a restaurant/gas station, shovel, rake, get some buddies to do some painting, walk dogs, tutor, run errands, etc. 3 hours a day 3 times a week to me isn't much more hassle than the time spent listing cards, packing, shipping, etc. and at least I KNOW what I'm getting paid at a real job. Ebay auctions can yield very different prices for the same card. I'd be one to dwell too much. I'd be thinking "I paid $x for this card, it sold for half that, and likely will cost me more than that to replace it later" Or some things may not get a bid, or more than opening bid. If it was $1000-2000+, yeah, I'd think about it, but $600-800, I'd save the time and hassle. Being a specific collection like that, it's kind of tough to sell also. Banks is kind of like Puckett. Puckett is well liked, but his stuff sells for more in the Twin Cities area than elsewhere, but most Twin Cities dealers already have a load of Puckett stuff to sell, so you have plenty of competition.

the job thing would make the most sense but there are no jobs available where i go to college. its a small isolated town in the middle of nowhere. there are very few open jobs to begin with when the year starts and those get snapped up immediatly. its an idea that i havnt done a ton of research on yet. 600-800 is an estimate i wont even think about listing until i research past auctions for every single card i own and get a better idea of what to expect. one thing i was thinking of doing is listing it as a lot and putting it up with a high BIN and take offers.

Hello,

I'm not sure if you want to go down this path. Your still young and if you think that collecting is something that you want to do for the rest of your life, I would reconsider. I have a friend who sold his football card collection for $80.00 when he found out the girl he was seeing was pregnant. Now a number of years later he regrets doing so.

I know your situation is different and you have a collection that goes far beyond his, I would still make absoulty certian. Just my thoughts.

Good luck with your choice.

~Frank

I just woke up and felt like I was thinking about doing it. I would not do it if I had it to do all ovwer again.! See if you can get a temp job when your not at school. Try doing some simple yard work or house painting. I think Valediction gave you great advice, for the kind of money you are talking about it is not worth it. I was lucky at college, it was a large city so jobs were plenty. This seems to be a buyers market right now...If you plan on doing it wait for the Sellers market. I still believe if you need cash see if you can sell the rest of your stuff , not what is near and dear. Take care and good luck with school
Bill

I just woke up and felt like I was thinking about doing it. I would not do it if I had it to do all ovwer again.! See if you can get a temp job when your not at school. Try doing some simple yard work or house painting. I think Valediction gave you great advice, for the kind of money you are talking about it is not worth it. I was lucky at college, it was a large city so jobs were plenty. This seems to be a buyers market right now...If you plan on doing it wait for the Sellers market. I still believe if you need cash see if you can sell the rest of your stuff , not what is near and dear. Take care and good luck with school
Bill

its not as if i need the money bad. i have a little money, enough for a college student to get by on while living on campus so money isnt a concern. i would be doing this strictly to invest all of it in cards to resell. but it sounds like the consensus is that if i do this i should wait until summer when baseball cards are at their peak interest.

NEVER sell cards to INVEST in others. Also NEVER INVEST in cards. They are a real ****** investment. Buy a lottery ticket instead.

ive made plently of money buying and reselling this year, havnt won the lottery yet though despite buying a decent amount of tickets.