Topps has MLB Exclusive for 2010?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I just had a thought, and I'm not sure if it's a good one or a bad one. With Topps gaining exclusive rights to MLB ... it also means Topps is now the only one under the MLB rules...

As of January 1, UD will have free reign to produce cards of any player ... newly drafter, high-level prospect, MLB player, retired ... without having to follow the MLB-mandated rules.

Stephen Strasburg is un-touchable by Topps until he signs and is called up to the Majors. UD can create a Strasburg rookie as of Jan. 1.

Wasn't it the MLB Player's Association that set the rules regarding rookies? Assuming UD continued to create cards, I don't think they could do this.

Mark

Wow Topps Get Exclusive 2010 Mlb Rights

Just read that Topps gets as exclusive contract for 2010 for MLB. Panani has an exclusive for Basketball and Upper Deck has an exclusive for Hockey. How will this affect you 2010 sport cards purchase?

Wasn't it the MLB Player's Association that set the rules regarding rookies? Assuming UD continued to create cards, I don't think they could do this.

Mark

Was it the MLBPA? Or MLB? I'm not certain anymore ... I thought it was MLB itself, not the PA. But I could certainly be wrong on that score.

This is a horrible development for the hobby. Topps and UD were making crap-tastic cards as it was after Donruss was denied and Fleer went under. If UD's out of the market (or forced into making un-licensed cards like Donruss) it just means Topps can get even lazier in their production and QC.

This is how I see it as welll ... exclusitivity = complacency

This is just more "bull" from all involved. When "the parties" limited the number of sets and came out and said they didn't want to confuse people, namely new collectors when buying rookies, they limited the "rookie" logo to players on the 40 man roster. This was suppose to make it easy for people to know a players "true" rookie card. Of course Topps got around this with Bowman by making all the minor league player and draftees a "insert" card or a subset card.

They totally went against their partners(MLB) wishes and now when people go buy a card with the rookie logo, they think they are getting a RC but in reality, the probably had a Bowman Chrome card 3 years earlier which most of the hobby will buy and sell as the true RC.

The decision makers at the MLB just have no clue of what the hobby is about and is asking Topps what they should do, which is always the worst way to go.

The real stupid part about it is that UD will continue to create baseball sets. They just will look bad now without the MLB logos, etc. Look for UD to put out sets highlighting guys like Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, etc. The competition will still be out there. I hope they do something again like the 1934-36 Diamond Stars where team names/logos are not necessary. Topps is going to always have their customers. Do they really believe that UD collectors will buy their products regardless of their opinion of the Topps brand (just because it is the only one there?)? Personally, if I do not like the design/concept - I am not going to buy it. Like Jeff stated above about going back to his 1969 set - I see this type of move as a huge bonus for people sitting on vintage cards or cards from the previous 25 years or so. Those cards are going to to pick back up in market appeal now that their is only one licensed supplier. Collectors have options - it just might not be 2010 options.

Tim

Well, I am not too excited about this news. I am a set collector, and the base Topps and UD sets have been cornerstones of my collecting year since 75 and 89 respectively. I won't collect UD anymore because part of the appeal to me is the team info on each card.

This brings me to a couple of questions concerning things now.

1. There were rumors of UD putting out more sets along the lines of the Yankee Stadium Legacy set (ie Fenway Part, Mets Stadium, Detroit). Would this new licensing issue mean that the YSL will now be even more valuable? (Great for our Charity Drive), or do you think UD would go ahead and do those sets anyway?

Second, if Topps has the MLB, and UD has the MLBPA, what are the chances that DLP throws some $$ out there and gets back in the game after 2010?

Just a little rambling from someone who spent too much time at work today.

Thanks,

They totally went against their partners(MLB) wishes and now when people go buy a card with the rookie logo said:
This did not go against any wishes. Bowman (which Topps owns) had it's deal in place for years and MLB gave them the exception as long as the cards were "inserts". MLB was fully aware of what was going on. You sell them a little short as far as business sense.

You guys must understand that

MONEY TALKS!

Time will tell but most business deals happen for reasons we will never know. And that is ok. If the 2 companies producing was such a great system it would not have been changed. Sales have dropped off over the years, something has to be done. Neither Topps or Upper Deck was making enough money on baseball cards to keep them healthy. Same for Basketball cards and Hockey cards. These companies needed to get smaller in order to get bigger. This will allow that. Someday when the industry is healthier competition will come back.

I know it is emotional for many of us, but in the long run this could be the best thing. You don't have to understand it for it to be good for you. Generally public opinion differs from how the real world works and is wrong anyway. Remeber the baseball lockout that cancelled the World Series? That short term pain created a ton of long term gain. And baseball is better for it now. This is a business first.

This is my $0.02 worth. A monopoly isn't good in a situation in which people are held over a barrel to get a need to sustain life. IE.. food, clothing, shelter. In this case I don't think that it really matters. Right now there is too much crap produced. Given this opportunity Topps has the ideal situation to really make or break their company. Don't forget baseball cards are not a necessity. If no one buys, guess what??? Out of business. Personally I collect Bowman sets and enjoy it. Not an over abundance of extras in the boxes and a decent chance of completing sets. I would welcome more creativeness. Only time will tell. Keep on collecting.......Butch

"The league also believes that one cardmaker can end the confusion of competitors selling multiple card series in hobby shops and big-box stores."

How confused can people be when there were only two main card manufacturers?? I'm so glad that they're going to dumb it down so we can all understand the difference between Topps and Upper Deck... So people won't get Topps 1, Topps 2, Topps U&H, Topps Chrome, Topps Chrome U&H, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman's Best, Bowman Sterling, Bowman Draft, Bowman Chrome Draft, etc. confused since we apparently don't have enough mental capacity to understand brand differences? *rolls eyes*

And considering how I feel about Topps (I've never been a fan of their products. Don't care for prospects, so don't care for Bowman... and I'm not a set collector, so base Topps does nothing for me), this is just... lovely. Part of the fun of being a player collector is that you get a sampling of cards from every brand. Well, that just got chucked out the window. Upper Deck always had the nicer designs, with maybe 2 exceptions like Topps Sterling and Triple Threads (which are too much money to spend for, like, 5 cards).

Not pleased with this in the slightest. I'm angry, if you can't tell.... lol.

Last edited:
When I (and many of you) started collecting, Topps was the ONLY choice for the most part. I was happy and oblivious to the fact that anything else existed or could exist. When Fleer and Donruss showed up in 81, that began the complexity of baseball cards for me. For years, I bought packs of whatever I could find, and usually at least one of the brands was harder to find. I never saw packs of 84, 85 or 86 Donruss. 82 Fleer was non-existent in my area. Not sure why, but that was the way it was. Still, I didn't mind collecting 3 sets...then 4 (Score), the 5 (Sportflics). By the time UD came, I was already on a break...but then it really exploded...Leaf, Flair, Finest, Stadium Club, Ultra, etc. Choices were nice, but it got a lot harder to collect. I collected Frank Thomas then, but by 1998 I was fed up with TOO MANY choices. Yes, I am sick of hearing "collect what you like or can afford", because as a player collector, we want it ALL! It got to be too much and that is where buying packs lost it's fun for me.

I don't buy packs anymore, mainly because of the last 10 years or so of pack/brand evolution, so I personally don't care what is available in 2010, Topps only or 5000 different card makers.

I just wonder how many new Steve Garvey cards I will see in 2010.

This is my $0.02 worth. A monopoly isn't good in a situation in which people are held over a barrel to get a need to sustain life. IE.. food, clothing, shelter. In this case I don't think that it really matters. Right now there is too much crap produced. Given this opportunity Topps has the ideal situation to really make or break their company. Don't forget baseball cards are not a necessity. If no one buys, guess what??? Out of business. Personally I collect Bowman sets and enjoy it. Not an over abundance of extras in the boxes and a decent chance of completing sets. I would welcome more creativeness. Only time will tell. Keep on collecting.......Butch

Are you KIDDING me? I hate Bowman more than anything else nowadays. I have NO idea what's in a pack of Bowman Draft. Bowman Draft, Bowman Draft Gold, Bowman Draft Chrome, Bowman Draft Chrome Prospects, Bowman Draft Prospects, Bowman Draft Future's Game Prospects, Bowman Draft Chrome Future's Game Prospects.

What?

Just read that Topps gets as exclusive contract for 2010 for MLB. Panani has an exclusive for Basketball and Upper Deck has an exclusive for Hockey. How will this affect you 2010 sport cards purchase?

I wonder who's going to get the exclusive contract for Football...or will it remain the way it is? Best regards, David

What I suggest to Topps, if they want to make it more kid friendly, cut out the SP junk and just make all the base as easy to find. I don't mind numbered cards, but I'm sick of my favorite players and players from my favorite teams harder to find in sets. Yes SP's are more challenging for set collectors, but again, if they are targeting kids, and encourage them to build sets then they should just take out the SP's, or at least just limit the product to contain no more than 10 SP's. Otherwise they will get frustrated and just give up.

And I also agree with Seawolf, and hope that they return Topps Fan Favorites. I loved that set and I'm sure the kids that collect today can enjoy them as well since it would encourage them to find out more about past players and get more involved in both the hobby of collecting, and the hobby of the history of the game.