Topps Million Card Giveaway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

People are nuts. While I think this is a great promotion and I'm very interested in these cards, I can't believe what people are paying for these codes.

There's an auction of 21 game cards and the bid on Ebay is at $56 with 40 minutes left!

It's fun, but not $3-per-pop fun!

I went a picked a jumbo pack and a retail pack and got a code in each. I got pretty lucky with my cards too:

Ty Cline 1966
Ty Cline / Outfield / Chicago Cubs

Mike Ryan 1967
Mike Ryan / Catcher / Boston Red Sox

Not too shabby - entered two more and ended up with a $20 1962 Gil Hodges (Mets). I didn't expect anything over $10 from this promotion, so I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

I got this one just now
Adam Lind 2009
Adam Lind/ Outfielder/ Toronto Blue Jays
But when it came up, it showed a card with him swinging a bat, nothing I've ever seen before in 2009 topps.. any idea what it is? Just showed a picture of him attempting to swing a bat with a blue background, below it is a white area for his name, and then a white box that is shaped like a ticket stub or razor blade.

Got one today, not sure what to do with it. Guess I will give it a shot and enter it.

Entered 7 more today and all of them were from the 60's, including 2 Braves I needed!! By far my best day yet.

1960 Topps #355 Bill White - Cardinals $6
1960 Topps #381A Milwaukee Braves CL WB - $10
1960 Topps #519 Ed Roebuck - Dodgers $15
1962 Topps #586 Sammy Esposito SP - White Sox $30
1963 Topps #460 Del Crandall - Braves $30
1964 Topps #209 Bob Allen - Pirates $4
1969 Topps #527 Al Lopez MG - White Sox $5

I had a lot of vintage today (if you count 4 1975 cards as vintage) as well - best one was a $25 1967 Jim "Mudcat" Grant.

One word...GAMBLING.

The CHANCE to redeem a Pete Rose Rookie or a vintage 1956 Jackie Robinson card. It's driving the demand now I would assume.

I'd say it's no different than opening packs, other than with packs, you at least know the year you are getting. Imagine opening super packs that contain all the different Topps cards from 1951-2010! This is that, just one card at a time, w/o the wax & gum!

People are nuts. I can't believe what people are paying for these codes.

There's an auction of 21 game cards and the bid on Ebay is at $56 with 40 minutes left!

It's fun, but not $3-per-pop fun!

The more I see what's being redeemed, the more I think the codes are not assigned ahead of time. Right now, everything being redeemed is from the '50's (if you have any codes, enter them right now!) The site gives recently redeemed cards, and earlier there were all from the 1980 timeframe. I waited a little and suddenly there were all from the '50's, so I entered the three I hadn't entered yet. Sure enough, all three were from the '50's (1 from 1953 and 2 from 1955).
Dale

The more I see what's being redeemed, the more I think the codes are not assigned ahead of time. Right now, everything being redeemed is from the '50's (if you have any codes, enter them right now!) The site gives recently redeemed cards, and earlier there were all from the 1980 timeframe. I waited a little and suddenly there were all from the '50's, so I entered the three I hadn't entered yet. Sure enough, all three were from the '50's (1 from 1953 and 2 from 1955).
Dale

I pulled a card last week and entered the code today. Got Sherman Lollar 1953.

Dale

That is interesting - thanks for the heads up. It explains why I seemed to have a run of 60s and 70s when I did it - didn't really seem random at all. It also probably answers my biggest concern with this: as soon as they admit the Mantle is pulled, it's over for them. Demand will drop. So how will they handle it? My guess is send a press release to Beckett after Series 2 comes out that says "***,*** cards have been redeemed, but the '52 Mantle is still waiting to be redeemed! Get your Series 2 boxes now!"