Topps reprints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Does it bother anyone to get a reprint, of a 5 cent 1988 Topps card, as an insert in your packs?

As a player collector, I'm baffled by why Topps made a reprint of the 1988 Topps Record Breakers Eddie Murray card in 2010. Now I see the 1979 Topps has a reprint for 2011... less of a stretch but not a card anyone considers reprint worthy.

I agree, I made a post earlier about Manufactured Patches/Leather/Bats, etc. Just over supplying in my eyes. I would rather Maddux Didnt have any cards come out in 2011 If all I am gonna have to chase is reprints of cards I already have, and Fake Patches and bats that I dont really care about.

I'm tired of reprints in general. Even the best vintage cards have been reprinted so many times now that it's boring. It's just laziness by Topps. Just bring us out some new designs. I think collectors as a whole want the makers to be a bit daring. The late 90's were full of crazy card ideas with different die cuts, holographic backgrounds, mixed color schemes and so on. Some worked, some didn't, but at least they were trying.

I do like reprints, but I do agree with bravesfansunite in that Topps needs to find new cards to reprint. This is why I really like the "Reproduction Cards" inserts in this year's Topps set because you don't see reprints like those every day, and they aren't even Topps reprints.

I like the reprints, but for a different reason than most - it introduces new (read young) collectors to the history of the game and to some of the greats of the past that may have dropped out of the household names they used to be. Baseball is all about history and cards are a reflection of that.

One of these days I'm going to figure out how many times and forms the 1952 Mantle has been reprinted. Hundreds, I'm sure. Getting a little boring, all these Topps reprints. It's almost like they have no new ideas, though those sparkle cards this year are kind of cool.

I was thinking the same thing, but figured the more popular cards have been reprinted to death. It's nice to see some variety, but in my case, a 1985 Topps Garvey reprint (which is in 2011 set) is about the worst possible card they could reprint...heck, anything in the 80s is pretty bad for that matter.