Update: The Bench Policies regarding Paypal Gift Payments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Second line:
Any seller offering to take PayPal payments must be willing to absorb costs associated with that service.

It has always been an option whether a seller took PayPal, we just stop the PayPal Gift option. If that raises costs then let the seller price it accordingly rather than the buyer be talked into sending a payment thinking it saves them money when in effect it creates problems for the moderator team. Quite frankly from many of the comments here, there is also a resentment from people thinking the sellers are cheap, particularly ones that sell regularly.

Then it just comes down to upping your price by the fee amount and offering a discount for cash or MO payments. It is simply a hidden fee if the seller choses to do so.

I believe the goal here was to stop the "abuse" of the gift payment option. However, PP is still getting their cut now. Gift payments used to be free, now the sender pays the fee.

Although the site is great, I think some of the rules might go a bit far to protect people who otherwise deserve what they get, such as keeping new members from selling. As I understand it, this was instated to help protect buyers who got ripped off by new sellers. Well, I submit to you this question then...How on earth do you get ripped off when a new seller has to send first??? It doesn't affect me, but that is one of the rules I think should go bye-bye. If I can pay after I receive my item, there is no risk and as long as a new seller agrees to those terms, then no harm in letting them sell.

I hear what you are saying mrmopar, but I think the strength of this site is from trading and community. Too many people who come on here looking to just sell kind of just cheapen the site, so rather than cater to their needs we look at the greater picture. I think this site is enhanced by the collector first mentality that comes from trading rather than the quick buck artists that might otherwise gravitate to this site if they didn't have to make that initial 20 Bench Points. It's not perfect, but this particular rule change came about simply because of the problems that collector members were expressing to the Mod team. We don't go creating rules for the heck of it, it's just simply a response to where the problems lie.

James' description of the selling rule is dead on, it does create quality traders out of new members, and we have seen that since the rule is implemented.

AS far as My post #11, James is right again, based on the wording, The only reason I think it doesnt really matter if it is stated as fees or not is because if you are charging a buyer 10.65 for a card, they know (unless they are completely new to this) what the .65 cents is for.

Maybe a better statement in a trade thread besides "+x.xx amount for fees" would be "minimum sales of 5 or 10 or more dollars" which would help.

I also completely get that Checks are a obsolete form of payment, Howvere they do work, and are a free trackable form of payment in the long run.

I use money orders usually, as my bank as a convience to keep customers, offers free money orders. But sometimes, I do use the paypal form as it is quicker, less legwork, and is usually offset by the cost of a postage stamp. So as a buyer, I don't mind sending a bit extra, as it is less legwork on my end.

My question is why does the Bench have to regulate this? I send paypal gift when I feel comfortable and regular if I don't.

I don't see why The Bench needs to regulate it one way or another.

I will do whatever. I don't care. The fees are a big deal, but being told "You must do it this way" just doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:"Too many people who come on here looking to just sell kind of just cheapen the site"

Maybe you should ban all selling also.

Last edited:
My question is why does the Bench have to regulate this? I send paypal gift when I feel comfortable and regular if I don't.

I will do whatever. I don't care. The fees are a big deal, but being told "You must do it this way" just doesn't make sense to me.

Because lately we get a lot of TGB's where the buyer sent PayPal gift and now want us to get involved. Anyone can use the gift option BUT don't come running to us, when you can't get a refund from a bad sale.

I would highly doubt there is any "legality" issues.

I understand The Bench not wanting to be held liable, but to say we HAVE to build it in to our sales price is different than saying "The Bench is not liable for any transactions originating from our forums."

I would highly doubt there is any "legality" issues.

I understand The Bench not wanting to be held liable, but to say we HAVE to build it in to our sales price is different than saying "The Bench is not liable for any transactions originating from our forums."

We're not saying that you HAVE to build it in. If someone wants to pay gift and someone wants to accept gift there are two things that must occur.

1. The BUYER would have to decide to not report the seller for requesting gift. If they feel comfortable in their own shoes with a gift transaction, that is their full responsibility. (if the buyer reports the seller, they can be subject to discipline for circumventing the forum rules)

2. The BUYER and SELLER would have to decide that the purchase was worth risking all recourse through the Bench TGB system. (You would honestly be amazed with some of the situations we have dealt with over the years...)

Essentially....do what you want, but if you decide to circumvent the policies in place, don't complain. The policies are there for protection of BOTH parties involved.

The site staff can make the rules they see fit for the benefit of the site. However...

It seems that the people who need it to be regulated are the ones who purposefully expose themselves to greater risks and then come crying when something happens. People need to be responsible for their own actions.

Ive had to have the mods interviene in several really bad sales. Whatever rules they make is for the general good and i will fully support.

Look, so buyers will probably be paying an extra $.50 - $1.00 to use paypal. Big deal. I often quote people two prices. One for cash and then one for paypal payment. I've never had anyone get offended because if you are going to mail a payment, it's going to cost you another $.45 for the postage. If you pay with paypal, you're probably looking at another $.50 / $1.00 to have the convenience to do so. Most people aren't going to mind.

i guess we should ban cash transactions too?...same concept

Cash deals, are generally always listed as "At the senders risk" And we have had little to no TGB issues with cash transactions over the years, However we repeatedly run into issues with paypal gift.

cjay101 said it very well earlier in the thread about "members taking responsibility for their own actions"

And to the person who earlier said "Why dont we just ban all selling on the site" You are taking the issue too far, This is a case of the paypal gift use only. Many sales go off without a hitch here on The Bench, The use of paypal gift has caused too many headaches for the site and using gives up seller protection via paypal, so it gives up seller protection here as well.

Quote:"And to the person who earlier said "Why dont we just ban all selling on the site" You are taking the issue too far, This is a case of the paypal gift use only. Many sales go off without a hitch here on The Bench, The use of paypal gift has caused too many headaches for the site and using gives up seller protection via paypal, so it gives up seller protection here as well."

My apologies, I was a little insulted at the comment that sales here "cheapen the site".