Valuing bulk cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David657

Bench Warmer
How do you value bulk lots? I came across a seller offering 6 boxes (1k in each box? But unknown at this point the seller has been vague so far) of what appears to be searched football commons. If a seller asks me what they are worth to me, I generally pass as it seems they are just wanting highest amount possible, and/or think they are more valuable than they are. That being said the first box may contain a few cards from my wantlists to have me asking advice to possibly pursue it Lol

Are you going to see them in person or will they have to be shipped? I would imagine that shipping will cost a small fortune. This is a tough situation also because I would think that you would not want to offend the seller also. I think your best bet is to ask him/her to give you a general idea as to what they are looking to get.

Are you going to see them in person or will they have to be shipped? I would imagine that shipping will cost a small fortune. This is a tough situation also because I would think that you would not want to offend the seller also. I think your best bet is to ask him/her to give you a general idea as to what they are looking to get.
In person, just not to that point yet, but you're right I would ignore it if they were being shipped (shipping would be too expensive for 6000 commons). I have asked for a general idea and they are saying they have no idea what to ask....just kinda tough trying to buy and sell at the same time really especially when they claim they don't know what they have...only have sent me pics of 2 boxes and identified 3 diff sets

I am not into football cards at all but I would think that if they are not from the junk era then maybe an offer or 50.00 for all 6 boxes would be fair. I guess the guy could always say no. But once again you run into the matter of offending someone. There are a lot of people who think they are sitting on a gold mine. 99% of the time that is not the case. There has also been a real spike in the values of cards recently so that just adds fuel to the fire. In the end I would just do what you think is right for you.

Do you know what era these cards are from? You mentioned you identified 3 differetn sets so those should indicate the general time frame of the rest of the lot.

Do you know what era these cards are from? You mentioned you identified 3 differetn sets so those should indicate the general time frame of the rest of the lot.
The 3 are all 2014....but the seller is saying they don't "know" that with any certainty even after I explained how to identify them.

I'd give them a look and see if there are any name players in it. If the boxes are just commons, I wouldn't offer much at all............maybe $10 for the entire bunch. So many people I know, including the LCS owner here, actually throw commons away even from recent years like 2014 which I think is ridiculous. But no one is buying them and veryf ew people put together sets anymore outside of the very recent stuff so cards like those fall into the buyer's market category.

Anything modern era that has been 'searched' or picked through isn't worth much at all unless you're looking to complete specific sets. As far as buying - usually the cost of shipping and maybe 5-10 bucks.