Warning: Latest Ebay Joker - Protect Yourself!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tribefan

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I don't know if this is frowned upon on this site but I'm exposing an Ebay seller not as much that I want to blackball him but more that I want to protect my trading partners here. If this is improper, let me know and I will gladly edit the text.

I purchased a fairly thick GU Patch and received it in a plain white envelope with heavy tape around it. As expected, it arrived with creases around the GU window as often occurs when a card is bent slightly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290382845296

Note how the seller mentions screw-down holders for protection. I guess he uses those for his commons.

I contacted the seller advising my displeasure and asked if a refund/return was available. Here is the lovely response, word-for-word...

send me a picture of it to this e-mail: [email protected]. i think you are trying to get one over on me. The holder the card was placed in was more than sufficient for mailing and so was the packaging. I want a picture of it asap. you are the only one who has replied like this about my packaging and i flat out don't believe you!!!!!!!

- sampbud1

Can you believe this response?! I can't quite put my finger on it but something tells me that this isn't going to work out well. Gee, will my scan be judged the same way I have been judged?

Interestingly, I just re-checked his feedback and he received a negative this week for the same reason!

If you have an Ebay account, send an e-mail to this guy with your Ebay ID insisting that he blackball your account so that you don't make the same mistake I have.

I asked him if he wanted to try again with his response in light of the recent feedback. Here's the latest response...

i don't want to try again because the negative that i received is from someone pulling the same thing you are trying to pull. have a nice day and take it up with ebay.

- sampbud1

Wow.

I've opened a case with Ebay based on principle and not the $7 I'm "trying to pull". Sheesh.

Last edited:
That is a nice card and should be treated correctly.

However,you commented with this "Note how the seller mentions screw-down holders for protection. I guess he uses those for his commons" after reading his listing it says this "Most of my cards are placed in 4 corner screwdown holders for their protection", the key word to me is MOST. I personally wouldn't use a screwdown holder for a card someone paid $8 for either. It seems as though you misconstrude what he said.

On the other side, the card should have arrived in satisfactory condition as with all ebay sales and anywhere else. I thought everyone said to use Paypal to do disputes also, something about it being more smooth.

Looks like the other negative feedback was from sending a arod that sold for $45 in a PWE :eek: .

I'm pretty sure the seller hasn't worked a day in his life in the service industry. Comments like those towards a customer, no matter what the circumstances, are unacceptable IMO.

I just sent him a question about how a Manny GU would be shipped if I should win it. Can't wait for my response.

Response:
they are shipped in padded mailers. The two negatives I received are from people trying to get over on me and I am very confident in my shipping that I am willing to explain to everyone what happened. thanks for your interest.

Follow up question:
So all your game used cards are shippped in padded mailers? I just have to be sure because these GU cards ALWAYS show up damaged when some seller morons ship in regular envelopes and I just have to make sure. It happened to me a few weeks ago when a seller shipped a Franklin Guiterrez gu card in a plan envelope, sure I got a refund but if I purchaed the card it was because I wanted a mint copy. Anyway thanks.

Last edited:
I promise I didn't change a word of the below. It is the final email.

no worries my friend. I just won't back down when I know that I am right. If it costs me a customer then so be it. Honesty has always been my best trait. If there is EVER a problem, I will be sure to solve it the best way that I can. Just read all of the other feedbacks from buyers and that should say a hellova lot about me.

Does anyone know if you can block yourself from a seller? That seems just as important as being able to block a non-payer.

I know sellers can block bidders by name (and by criteria).

This just shows that you need absolutely no customer service to sell online. There is no accountability, and rarely does it end up mattering to anyone but the buyer. The feedback system that was implamented to protect people has to be considered a failure in situations like these.
-Casey

This just shows that you need absolutely no customer service to sell online. There is no accountability, and rarely does it end up mattering to anyone but the buyer. The feedback system that was implamented to protect people has to be considered a failure in situations like these.
-Casey

Feedback is a complete failure.

I purchase a lot on Ebay and I make the mistake of not checking feedback. I never do and it has burned me a couple times. This guy had a perfect record as a buyer and just started selling. So, 700+ positives and 2 negatives over the past week (since starting to sell in Dec). How can anyone catch that?

The bigger issue is that he will continue this B.S. until it gets out of hand. And, then it's just a matter of opening a new account.

I hear what you're saying, and I feel your pain. Hey, how's that for a Bill Clinton line?

I digress.

I can actually see both sides of this: your side and his side. Yes, he has two negative feedback comments in the past year, both coming in this past month, both of which are dealing with cards that got damaged due to packaging issues, etc. He also has over 700 successful transactions with lots of positive feedback, so he thinks these two negative comments are from people trying to put a fast one on him. I'm guessing he probably thought he was doing a good job of packing your card, and is taking it out on you because he doesn't want to believe this happened because of his packaging. Maybe money was tight this Holiday Season and he didn't buy enough bubble mailers? Who knows? Clearly, he doesn't have a customer service background, and it is always wrong to treat a customer that way. Look how that can negatively impact your business. How many people have read this thread and checked out his ebay site, and the feedback? These are all potentially people who will be very leary about dealing with him in the future. Poor customer service negatively impacts the bottom line.

What is funny is that if you look at his other auctions he took the time to put a 1995 Pinnacle Chipper Jones base card in a screw down holder. WOW! Maybe he has no idea as to which cards are actually worth more than others.
-Keith

That was a super patch of Jim Thome! He saids that he would make amends as soon as possible??? Thanks for the warning about this guy... The only thing ...I could think of....is make a list of bad sellers to avoid. Best regards, David

oops, sorry I forget he wanted me to post this.

So you think you're pretty smooth huh? You and all your little card buddies having fun with this? I was tipped off by people I know. Small world isn't it! I will be sure to keep checking in to the post so I can keep up with the latest gossip your girlfriend started. I REALLY do not appreciate the moron comment either. People just love to talk when the person isn't standing in front of them. Let's ride away on our bikes and then call him names. Spineless is what the buyer that I had to deal with is. Now go and post this for all to see.

This guy is pretty funny. He's still dumb for sending in a regular envelope, but funny.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, and I feel your pain. Hey, how's that for a Bill Clinton line?

I digress.

I can actually see both sides of this: your side and his side. Yes, he has two negative feedback comments in the past year, both coming in this past month, both of which are dealing with cards that got damaged due to packaging issues, etc. He also has over 700 successful transactions with lots of positive feedback, so he thinks these two negative comments are from people trying to put a fast one on him. I'm guessing he probably thought he was doing a good job of packing your card, and is taking it out on you because he doesn't want to believe this happened because of his packaging. Maybe money was tight this Holiday Season and he didn't buy enough bubble mailers? Who knows? Clearly, he doesn't have a customer service background, and it is always wrong to treat a customer that way. Look how that can negatively impact your business. How many people have read this thread and checked out his ebay site, and the feedback? These are all potentially people who will be very leary about dealing with him in the future. Poor customer service negatively impacts the bottom line.

I assume that some or most of his +700 feedback was purchasing cards. I would also guess that he noticed how all of those cards were packaged, and should have had a good idea of how to package his. A tight budget is never an excuse for shoddy packing, either. If someone buys or trades for something, they've paid or put up enough collateral to ensure that they will get their card damage free.
-Casey