what do you do if a DC number says a package is delivered but its not here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
i have a very high end package ive been waiting for. according to the DC number it was delivered on monday. but it still isnt in my mail box. what if any recourse do i have? the value is over 600 dollars so i would really like to get my package. im kinda freaking out

Call the delivery point where it was delivered from and speak to a supervisor. If you know your mailman, ask him about it.

Call the delivery point where it was delivered from and speak to a supervisor. If you know your mailman, ask him about it.

its my school ill probably have to go to the mail room tommorow and ask about it. i went today and they told me it had just been sent up to my dorm but it was a different package :( . im guessing it will get here soon but im still freaking out because of the money wrapped up in it

if it's delivered the seller or other party did nothing wrong that you know of or can prove? as far as "recourse" i dont think you have a leg to stand on...you should probably invest in a po box if you are going to be having $600 deals delivered to your dorm room? Hope you had it sent insured, i have anything over $75 or so insured just in case.

if it's delivered the seller or other party did nothing wrong that you know of or can prove? as far as "recourse" i dont think you have a leg to stand on...you should probably invest in a po box if you are going to be having $600 deals delivered to your dorm room? Hope you had it sent insured, i have anything over $75 or so insured just in case.

Its the sellers responsibility to insure the package, not the buyers. If you payed by paypal, then file a claim if it doesn't show.

Its the sellers responsibility to insure the package, not the buyers. If you payed by paypal, then file a claim if it doesn't show.

thats not true at all...if the buyer doesnt request insurance, or if it was a trade and it wasn't agreed upon then he is out of luck...as far as paypal goes, if it shows a DC# and shows as being delivered you will NEVER win that one...try it and see.

thats not true at all...if the buyer doesnt request insurance, or if it was a trade and it wasn't agreed upon then he is out of luck...as far as paypal goes, if it shows a DC# and shows as being delivered you will NEVER win that one...try it and see.

It is up to the seller to insure that the item is received like described. Hate to argue with you here, but you are wrong. In the case that you don't receive, it will be up to the seller to refund you. The only thing that a dc # does for the seller, is prove that an item has been shipped. It is still up to the seller to insure the item.

Last edited:
refund from the seller hasnt crossed my mind yet. im hoping it shows up. im not to worried about high dollar deals being sent to my dorm room. ive had packages worth over 1000 dlvd here with no problem. its a campus of less then 300 people and friends of mine deal with the mail so im not worried about it getting stolen im just wondering how to go about finding out where my package is.

Actually doesnt DC stand for Delivery Confirmation ...I believe at that point the Seller is relieved of his obligation, If the deliveryman scanned at the point of delivery. Delivery is not guaranteed in your hands. If the mailman put it in my mailbox and it was stolen that is not the Sellers fault, Hence the reason for insurance. I have been through this on the selling end. Luckily it was not a high dollar amount. But it did teach me the value of insurance. Anything over 50 gets insured....

One other thing is that when a package is insured it includes delivery verification ...it takes a signature to complete the transaction...

Last edited:
Actually doesnt DC stand for Delivery Confirmation ...I believe at that point the Seller is relieved of his obligation, If the deliveryman scanned at the point of delivery. Delivery is not guaranteed in your hands. If the mailman put it in my mailbox and it was stolen that is not the Sellers fault, Hence the reason for insurance. I have been through this on the selling end. Luckily it was not a high dollar amount. But it did teach me the value of insurance. Anything over 50 gets insured....

One other thing is that when a package is insured it includes delivery verification ...it takes a signature to complete the transaction...

Then why would they offer the seller the insurance? I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

hey...like i said...try it and see...i've been with paypal since they were paying people $25 to sign up.

and...would like to point out its called Delivery Conf...not Shipping Conf.

That is all...have a nice day.

What if I sent you an empty box with Delivery Confirmation?

Then I would file a claim. If it didn't show up at all, I would inform the seller, and request a refund. It would then be up to the seller to file an insurance claim with usps to get reimbursed for the loss. If the refund was not given, I would file a claim as well. Its a frequent misconception that by using only a dc#, that you as the seller are protected. This is not the case.

IMHO, a seller would have to be out of there mind to send out $600 worth of anything, without insurance.

I find this very interesting and I now see the point. The shipper would be insane to send WO insurance especially at six bills. Like I sadi before when you insure it also it includes a signature to recieve.
I have changed my mind. It IS the sellers responsibilty, I agree with you Bubby.
Let this be a lesson to us all. Live and learn and hopefully pieman will get his straightened out.

I appreciate the input guys. the guy seems like a decent guy so im not to worried. the insurance cant be used until may 5th.

I didnt have an opinion either way when i made this thread i was simply trying to figure out what i shoud do. but after reading everything I do have to agree its probably the sellers responsibility insure the package and its still his responsibility until the package gets here.

the way I look at it is why should the buyer be out money for doing nothing wrong? I know it stinks for the seller but they have insurance for a reason. The buyer shouldnt have to suffer for something out of their control.

I appreciate the input guys. the guy seems like a decent guy so im not to worried. the insurance cant be used until may 5th.

I didnt have an opinion either way when i made this thread i was simply trying to figure out what i shoud do. but after reading everything I do have to agree its probably the sellers responsibility insure the package and its still his responsibility until the package gets here.

the way I look at it is why should the buyer be out money for doing nothing wrong? I know it stinks for the seller but they have insurance for a reason. The buyer shouldnt have to suffer for something out of their control.

the seller sent your package and it was delivered...there is a confirmation number showing it was delivered to you...how is it his fault that you get your mail at a central location and it's somehow walked off? he sent it where you told him to send it to...he did his part...why would you think that he owes you anything because you can't keep up with your own mail that is delivered?

as far as insurance goes, its a two way street...how things are sent are usually negotiated in any dealing...and insurance is usually "optional" at the buyers discression...when the buyer is paying the shipping and chooses to go the cheap route and not get insurance, it's not the sellers fault...if the seller is paying for shipping then I agree it's up to him to insure the item for damage or loss, but that is not what you are talking about...the seller sent your item and it was delivered to the address you gave him to ship to, the fact that you didn't get it is not his fault...once it's left his hands then how does he have control over it?

this is an issue between you and whoever got your mail...the front desk at the office or your postal guy for marking it as delivered and not getting it to you or whoever else is involved...but the seller has done his job.

You get an empty envelope then thats another story...seller has some weight to bare there and explaining to do...this is a loss/damage situation and would be filed under insurance and whoever paid for shipping would be responsible as stated above.

As for who files it, shipper or buyer...doesn't matter...USPS will pay it out quickly to either as long as the paperwork is done correctly...you might not get paid a dime though becuase there is delivery confirmation showing that it was in fact delivered...so they will probably question your mailman and if it is his obligation to drop it off at the front desk of your dorm or whatever, then they very well may consider it delivered and not pay out on it. If you are lucky, they will just pass it on through and not worry about it.

One thing though...you have failed to address here...anything sent with insurance over $200 in value through the US Postal system requires a signature...so if you had insurance as you say and it was for as much as you say it was...then someone had to sign for it.

Just a thought.

glad you got your card though...could have been a mess.

Last edited:
Actually, he would have won a paypal claim since the value was over 250. Anything over 250 is required to have signature confirmation in order to be protected by paypal.