What Do You Think of a Seller That Requests a Cancel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesNevans

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Sometimes it's "I lost the card", or "mistake in listing", but I think it's plain greed where they are upset it didn't sell for enough. This is my latest one and then their explaination, by the way it's not a $60 card and I don't know why he was word spamming Kobe, and lastly it was a 7 day auction where I didn't even bid last minute:

1993/1994 Topps Stadium Club Chris Webber 1st Day Issue Rc New Wave Bv 60$ Kobe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290703082110?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Idk what i clicked
but it said sell to highest bidder obvioulsy i did not intend to sell for .99
hope you understand i sent request to cancel the transaction i hope you understand
thank you

I wouldn't buy anything from a seller who requested a cancellation because the item didn't sell for enough. All a seller has to do is list a card with the minimum that they would sell it for. If you start an auction at .99 then be prepared to sell the card for .99 if it only gets one bid. I've purchased tons of cards that should have sold higher and 99.9% of the sellers honor the sale.

I wouldn't buy anything from a seller who requested a cancellation because the item didn't sell for enough. All a seller has to do is list a card with the minimum that they would sell it for. If you start an auction at .99 then be prepared to sell the card for .99 if it only gets one bid. I've purchased tons of cards that should have sold higher and 99.9% of the sellers honor the sale.

Have agree with you buddy on this one! Best regards, David

Seller didn't get enough home training on integrity. Can't you say no to the cancel request and make the transaction go through??

Very lame excuse................Should report it or something like that..............Usually they side with the buyer or that's my understanding...................

Leave them a neg feedback. If they thought they could get more they should have set a reserve. By looking at their feedback they are not new to the bay and should have no excuse.

Seller didn't get enough home training on integrity. Can't you say no to the cancel request and make the transaction go through??

I said no, I followed up with him saying maybe we can work something out for other cards I need in the set that I was buying that for to flip. His excuse to eBay was that he sold it elsewhere, to me it's to get more money out of me.

His excuse to me now was the app on his I-Phone had a previously unkown option button he inadvertantly pushed to allow current high purchaser to buy at that price. Does that change anything in anyones's eyes?

Last edited:
I'd hold him to the sale or settle for the consolation prize, leaving negative feedback. If he doesn't mind the neg, I guess he'll keep the card. If he cares, he will do the right thing and sell it.

for some reason i think the seller MAY have a valid argument....

there's a very big point people are missing :

if you'll notice , the listing DID not run its full 7 days ....it started at 1:41 pm et april 26th....the actual ending time would be friday may 3rd at 1:41 pm et which is still 13 hours and 40 minutes from now....

based on that , i think he might have been trying to cancel all bids so he could end the item early .... i know that unless a change has been made recently , in addition to the option to cancel all bids and end the item , ebay did also have an option to end an item early and make the current high bidder the winner at his current bid.....my guess he either didn't realize he had to cancel the bids first or perhaps he even thought he did so and was simply trying to end the item....

for some reason i think the seller MAY have a valid argument....

there's a very big point people are missing :

if you'll notice , the listing DID not run its full 7 days ....it started at 1:41 pm et april 26th....the actual ending time would be friday may 3rd at 1:41 pm et which is still 13 hours and 40 minutes from now....

based on that , i think he might have been trying to cancel all bids so he could end the item early .... i know that unless a change has been made recently , in addition to the option to cancel all bids and end the item , ebay did also have an option to end an item early and make the current high bidder the winner at his current bid.....my guess he either didn't realize he had to cancel the bids first or perhaps he even thought he did so and was simply trying to end the item....

I was thinking this, but I'm not liking his attitude that he could just cancel. First of all, I was the only bidder for 6 days, and $3.99 delivered for a $30 card pobably wouldn't have been much more even with a last minute snipe. He should just take the hit, after all how would he feel if a buyer got back to him after realizing his last minute bid as too excessive considering the inflated value the seller placed on the item?

Maybe he made a mistake or maybe he didn't, but you're the one who is out, through not fault of your own...................If "Bay" won't help, then I'd burn him with a negative, this guy is not a rookie seller................Totally bush league, bro!

I was thinking this, but I'm not liking his attitude that he could just cancel. First of all, I was the only bidder for 6 days, and $3.99 delivered for a $30 card pobably wouldn't have been much more even with a last minute snipe. He should just take the hit, after all how would he feel if a buyer got back to him after realizing his last minute bid as too excessive considering the inflated value the seller placed on the item?

im not sure i'd call his requesting a cancellation should be considered an attitude....

consider : ebay allows sellers to cancel bids and end an item early.....if that is actually what he intended to do , your bid would technically not exist and you would not have "won" the item....it seems likely he did simply hit the wrong button which made you a winner (in name only) before the item would have even ended....sure , you say the item may not have gone much above the opening bid , but you can't KNOW that....i also don't think an uniformed bidder asking to cancel a sale is quite the same thing ....everyone should educate themselves on what they are buying before making a purchase.... furthermore , just because you disagree with his posted BV doesn't mean it's incorrect unless he cites a specific source as and is wrong....in fact , yet another possibility could be that he simply noticed the BV and the word KOBE in the title , realized it shouldn't be there , and wanted to edit it but since there was already a bid his only way to do that would be to cancel the bids , end the listing , and re-list the card...

maybe i'm a bit too forgiving and understanding , but frankly , if he did make a simple mistake and contacted the buyer politely asking to cancel the transaction , i would think that any reasonable potential buyer would be a little understanding and accept the request....

im not sure i'd call his requesting a cancellation should be considered an attitude....

consider : ebay allows sellers to cancel bids and end an item early.....if that is actually what he intended to do , your bid would technically not exist and you would not have "won" the item....it seems likely he did simply hit the wrong button which made you a winner (in name only) before the item would have even ended....sure , you say the item may not have gone much above the opening bid , but you can't KNOW that....i also don't think an uniformed bidder asking to cancel a sale is quite the same thing ....everyone should educate themselves on what they are buying before making a purchase.... furthermore , just because you disagree with his posted BV doesn't mean it's incorrect unless he cites a specific source as and is wrong....in fact , yet another possibility could be that he simply noticed the BV and the word KOBE in the title , realized it shouldn't be there , and wanted to edit it but since there was already a bid his only way to do that would be to cancel the bids , end the listing , and re-list the card...

maybe i'm a bit too forgiving and understanding , but frankly , if he did make a simple mistake and contacted the buyer politely asking to cancel the transaction , i would think that any reasonable potential buyer would be a little understanding and accept the request....

Let's get this straight, I have no doubt he ended the auction early, for which I have a little empathy for his mistake, did this necessarily mean that the card wouldn't have sold at that price anyway? I think it could have, after all this was not Webber's RC but a subset card in the same set. The second is that he did cancel the auction after the fact, what came to me was a message from eBay saying that they needed my approval to cancel based upon the seller telling them they had sold the card elsewhere. What came from the seller to me later is that they couldn't sell it that cheap asking for more money. I started thinking if this was a TGB here on this site, would anyone cut him some slack with that approach? I'm not saying that with a different approach that I wouldn't have cut him some slack, but he sure was presumptuous about how he approached it.

I totally agree with you. :cool:

James,

I'm with you here. I think it is the seller's resposibility to know what they are doing before selling. Case in point, I listed an item on Ebay a few months ago that weighed about 5 pounds; I either forgot the change the shipping weight to reflect that or as those dropdown menus on Ebay do, it didn't take when I clicked it. Either way, the buyer lived in Cali and the shipping ended up costing me more then the item even sold for. The buyer never knew it happened (unless they realized by reading the shipping amount on the label). Point being; it was my mistake. Whether it was unintentional or not doesn't matter. I advertised the item and sold it according to my listed terms even though it cost me money to do so. I should have paid more attention to the listing that was up for seven days and I didn't. Ebay encouraged me to preview and doublecheck my auction before posting. I didn't. My loss.

Tom

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item was sold."

I see that on the listing, and I feel bad for the seller. He accidentally clicked a link. I would let him out, and I always side with the buyer!

Back in the day I won an ebay auction from Ikon Grading. They used to grade their own cards, and make those homemade 1/1's... I won a card at the going rate... it was a Rickey insert #/50 for $7. The guy wasn't so nice as to let me know he wasn't going to sell it. This was before everybody used paypal, and I got free money orders from my bank... so I filled out a MO in his name and mailed it off. Instead of receiving the card I purchased, I received my MO back (worthless- already made out to somebody, and even if I crossed it out, I would need to find a transaction for exactly $6.99 or whatever...) and there was a note in the envelope. It said "Sorry, I can't let the card go for so little." There was a bonus though, 2 homemade 1/1's of players I didn't collect!

All you who rushed to judgement ever think that just maybe he is telling the truth that he sold it elsewhere? I see memebers here willing to end items early with no bids and maybe he didnt realize there was no bid..really in fact DID sell it somewhere else and hit a wrong button. Really guys it's not integrity... or bush league.. its a piece of cardboard, an insignificant piece of cardboard at that..and, at the risk of sounding like a total a-hole, james you of all people should know that.

All you who rushed to judgement ever think that just maybe he is telling the truth that he sold it elsewhere? I see memebers here willing to end items early with no bids and maybe he didnt realize there was no bid..really in fact DID sell it somewhere else and hit a wrong button. Really guys it's not integrity... or bush league.. its a piece of cardboard, an insignificant piece of cardboard at that..and, at the risk of sounding like a total a-hole, james you of all people should know that.

He tells eBay he sold it elsewhere, he tells ME he wants more money, does that sound like integrity?

James,
is it not possible he did sell it somewhere else for more money and just communicated that poorly?

No. Realizing he ended the auction half a day early he then tried to cancel the aution BEFORE talking to me. He tells eBay he sold the card elsewhere but says that he thinks he should get more money for the card than what it went for. Again, a different approach and I would probably would have been more accomodating, but he lied to eBay, he tried to do things unilaterally, then appealed to me after the fact to pay him more money or cancel the auction. It's a $30 card, not $60, $3.99 delivered is not too far off of what he would have gotten if it ran it's full term even with a snipe or two at the end. I got this Pujols lot worth more than this for cheaper ($3.28 dlvd) this week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180868559475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Last edited: