What do your parents/wife/husband..ect think of your card hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My mom supports it since she used to collect cards and understands the concept. My dad doesn't support it but he used to collect cards, also! Guess I have it in my genes! :D
...Like she'll make me swear on my Rustys

Oh my! :D

My parents fully support my card hobby, and I am very grateful for that, because not many seem to. They understand that this hobby has pretty much kept me a good distance from some of the bad decisions teenagers seem to be making during high school.

Plus, my dad collected cards when he was a kid, so I always have someone to talk cards with when my friends aren't around. :) He never misses a moment to tell me that he wishes he could have passed down his collection to me, had his parents not thrown them out (hence the Topps "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" series!).

That is GREAT! I run a new and very small hobby shop and some of my customers parents/grandparents didn't like them spending money here until they got to know me. One of my goals as a sports card store is to provide a fun and safe place for ALL Ages!! I would rather see kids spend their time and money on cards than some of the other things that kids/teens fall into!

My wife is very HAPPY my cards are out of the house. She can now have her sewing room and closets back!!!

The_Glavinator

Last edited:
from the ages 10-13 i had actually worked in a card shop, kind of under the radar with child labor laws and all :/, but i remember this one couple who came in, they both loved cards, and they had bought a box or two of high end products, they ripped them there or i think at least one they did. anyway when they left Bob, the owner of the card shop, had told me that he didn't want to sell them those boxes really since he knows their financial issues, he had told me that they were so in debt because when the couple were away from each other they would both go and buy cards, so every time they got there credit card bills or whatever they would look at it and realize they were spending double on cards costing them lots because they wouldnt tell eachother they were going out to buy cards... id want a wife thats interested in cards, but she cant be mixed with a woman who likes shopping like this girl, always secretly shopping for baseball cards!!!!!!!!

When I 8 in 1980, my dad took me to a convienence store. Instead of buying 2 packs of gum, I spent my $0.50 on 2 pack of baseball cards and was hooked. My mom had passed away a couple of years previous and my dad had recently remarried to a woman whom I refer to as my stepmonster. To cope with this, I immersed myself in baseball and by extension baseball cards.

Throughout my youth - until I turned 16 and was changed by cars and girls, I spent every nickel I made on my paper route on cards - both the $0.25 to $0.35 pack of cards and on singles at the two card shops in my hometown. All the while my folks saying how I was "wasting" my time and money and how I should collecting something that will hold its value.

I didn't pick up the hobby again until I was in my mid 20's whle living in Arizona. Gradually, I started buying packs and started rebuilding my collection - folks sold my commons and star doubles in bundles at a Church bazzar.

My then girlfriend - now my wife of ten years was curious and non-judgemental of my hobby. She figured that if I could pay my mortgage and other bills and take her out on dates then this hobby would not be a problem.

After moving back east, we moved into our dream home. Within in it, I have my "study". In here I painted the walls a darkish green with white trim and brown carpet - baseball diamond colors. Two walls have built-in bookcases; one is for my library and the other is for my collection. She is always looking out for new and vintage cards that I may want. Needles to say, she is very supportive of my hobby. Her reasoning is that as long as I don't spend money on my old habits - excessive drinking and smoking, this hobby is a good thing. And now she is even more supportive of it because I have gotten my daughter into the hobby.

As for my dad, he still thinks I'm being stupid and irresponsible for collecting.

When I 8 in 1980, my dad took me to a convienence store. Instead of buying 2 packs of gum, I spent my $0.50 on 2 pack of baseball cards and was hooked. My mom had passed away a couple of years previous and my dad had recently remarried to a woman whom I refer to as my stepmonster. To cope with this, I immersed myself in baseball and by extension baseball cards.

Throughout my youth - until I turned 16 and was changed by cars and girls, I spent every nickel I made on my paper route on cards - both the $0.25 to $0.35 pack of cards and on singles at the two card shops in my hometown. All the while my folks saying how I was "wasting" my time and money and how I should collecting something that will hold its value.

I didn't pick up the hobby again until I was in my mid 20's whle living in Arizona. Gradually, I started buying packs and started rebuilding my collection - folks sold my commons and star doubles in bundles at a Church bazzar.

My then girlfriend - now my wife of ten years was curious and non-judgemental of my hobby. She figured that if I could pay my mortgage and other bills and take her out on dates then this hobby would not be a problem.

After moving back east, we moved into our dream home. Within in it, I have my "study". In here I painted the walls a darkish green with white trim and brown carpet - baseball diamond colors. Two walls have built-in bookcases; one is for my library and the other is for my collection. She is always looking out for new and vintage cards that I may want. Needles to say, she is very supportive of my hobby. Her reasoning is that as long as I don't spend money on my old habits - excessive drinking and smoking, this hobby is a good thing. And now she is even more supportive of it because I have gotten my daughter into the hobby.

As for my dad, he still thinks I'm being stupid and irresponsible for collecting.

nice story man, but the real reason im responding to this is well.......ARIZONA!!!!! lol

My parents don't mind too much. they just kind of let me do my own thing. I'm 21 and my bro is Twins Fan (posted earlier in this thread). as long as we don't buy too much, its all good. definitely fun having my younger brother in the hobby with me and trading exclusively on here is always bringing new and better cards for my collection and getting rid of some of the stuff I don't like. thanks OP for the good topic!

When 2011 Topps and Heritage come out I will be sleeping on the couch.

LOL. I guess that pretty much sums it up for a lot of married guys I know who collect and bust alot. People who collect with the support of their families should feel fortunate.

My wife is amazed i kept up with it, she tolerates it as long as i'm not spending a ton of money on them, this thread is funny, I have been trading on here for a while with a lot of the people posting here, and then I see "My parents have to ok my trades?" I guess just because I'm older doesn't mean everyone is.
someone should do a "How old are you thread" - my son is starting his first set now, he is 7, I am hopeful that he is going to take my collection and keep going with it when he is older.
good thread - lots of good reads.

My mom is the reason that I am into sports in the first place. So while she doesn't condone me amassing a collection, she does understand it. She also has a nice little memorabilia collection herself so she has no reason to throw stones from her glass house either.

As far as the significant other, she is pretty in to it, too. She is a pretty big sports fan in her own right and has a few pieces of memorabilia. She has been know to spend money on my collection from time to time also. I guess I lucked out. She has mentioned though that if the hobby puts in debt the collection hits ebay.

When I was 9 my dad brought home a wax box of 1978 Topps baseball, kept it hidden and was feeding me one pack a day for about a week or so until I found the box, at which point I tore through the remaining packs like it was Xmas morning. At that time, they understood my love of baseball and cards, especially since the stats on the back kept me interested in math. Just about every time my parents come to visit, he has a bobble head or signed baseball. Makes me wonder if I should search their basement to see if I can find a secret stash!

My wife fully supports the hobby, as long as it doesn't outgrow my office. Autographs and memorabilia displays are allowed in the basement man cave, but cards must stay in the office. My 3 year old loves it, he comes into my office and knows not to touch the cards, looks around and says "Daddys mess", which is a pretty accurate summation!

When I was about 6 or 7 my family and I were at our cabin in Minnesota. It was right next to this really nice old-fashioned town, and there was a sports cards shop right in the middle of it. I went in and was fascinated by all the interesting pieces of memorabilia and cards. My Dad bought me a set of 200 cards for 5 bucks. He regrets it now, but my family still supports me nonetheless.

My wife searches the blaster boxes every time she goes to the store! She knows exactly what I'm looking for and she likes it when I find GU/AU. So she is very supportive as long as I keep the mess out of sight as much as possible.