What was the first box you ever opened?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Been opening packs since 1971. First full box was 1980 Topps. Oldest pack I've opened was a 1965 Topps looking for a Steve Carlton rookie. No dice.

I don't know the exact first box, but it was a late 1980's baseball edition of Topps, Donruss, or Fleer.

What I do remember to this day, and probably always will is the code: 15,36,540.

Which means there was 15 cards per pack, 36 packs per box and 540 cards per box! All for under $20.

Memories.

1978 Topps Baseball wax box (9 years old at the time). My dad brought it home with him from a business trip. He gave me a pack a night to open for a week, until I found the box hidden in the laundry room and ripped open every pack that was left.

First year of Topps that I seriously collected was 1981 Topps. Bought every pack I could get my hands on at the local 7-11. Still remember the card I needed was a Brian Asselstine to complete the set.

When I was nine a friend got me a box of 1981 Topps football for my birthday. Even though my favorite sport has always been baseball at that time there were no card shops and the stores that carried cards at the time wouldn't have cards of a sport that wasn't in season (November). Any way there were about 8 of us opening packs and chewing the gum. Got about 10 Walter Paytons, but looking back was amazed that I got no Joe Montana.